GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Ehhh, that screw probably has at least blue loctite on it. I don't think it'll just walk out once the clamping force is gone.

They do have blue LT on them.
Did it strip from too much torque, rounded bit, not square or seated in all the way? Too much torque then yeah probably won’t come out easy even with some vice grips on it.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Cleaned out the upper gasket channels on the upper oil pan. Used a small flathead to loosen everything up then used my dremel with plastic brushes to clean out the residue that was left and pretty happy with the result. now I need to clean off the lower side where the lower pan meets it and i'll be good to go. Also need to wash it off with a hose after to get all the bristles out that broke off. Or I could leave them in so they clean my block as it runs 🤷‍♂️

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So I actually cleaned off the lower section after work. Used the small screw driver again to scrape out the big pieces of gasket from the screw holes, then the dremel to clean the rest up. I had to use a metal brush this time since the plastic wasnt cutting it, but I just went on the lowest speed and i'd say it came out pretty good. May try and wash it later and potentially get it on tonight, but i'm really not too sure if that's gonna happen.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd have to go with welding but I did try an Allen and found a 10mm seats, barely. I'll have to wait till I can get a friend to steady the engine and hold the crank in place before I try that, though.

And yeah I'm already on ECS' stage 2 clutch + lw flywheel. No slippage but I do plan on switching back to Spec's 6-puck clutch next time I need a flywheel, I preferred how it grabbed and I rather liked the even lighter flywheel.

Sanded and painted some trim last night and I'm really happy with how it came out. I'm still repairing some nicks on the badge I just got excited and wanted to test the color match.
PXL_20220525_223448939.MP~2.jpg

I plan to do the badge and top line CW. Pulling that mf line accent out without breaking tabs was a bitch but I did it. I might also paint the "GTI" badge CW but since it comes off easy I'll save that for when the car is back together and I've made a decision. Also yes the "VW" badge is crooked I'm holding it in place so I don't have to pull it back out.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd have to go with welding but I did try an Allen and found a 10mm seats, barely. I'll have to wait till I can get a friend to steady the engine and hold the crank in place before I try that, though.

And yeah I'm already on ECS' stage 2 clutch + lw flywheel. No slippage but I do plan on switching back to Spec's 6-puck clutch next time I need a flywheel, I preferred how it grabbed and I rather liked the even lighter flywheel.

Sanded and painted some trim last night and I'm really happy with how it came out. I'm still repairing some nicks on the badge I just got excited and wanted to test the color match.
View attachment 250313
I plan to do the badge and top line CW. Pulling that mf line accent out without breaking tabs was a bitch but I did it. I might also paint the "GTI" badge CW but since it comes off easy I'll save that for when the car is back together and I've made a decision. Also yes the "VW" badge is crooked I'm holding it in place so I don't have to pull it back out.
Painting that GTI badging is a PITA.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got my upper oil pan on last night along with the oil pump. Does anyone here have the iAbed baffled oil pan? I'm assuming I don't need the OEM baffle when using that, but even with it off I wasn't able to get the holes to line up, but with the pan on I can't really see what it's hitting on

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Pan wont sit flush and the whole pan is shifted towards the exhaust side as well. The baffle in the pan is to the left of the pump so all the clears, its somewhere near the pickup or pump itself I think

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Well boys, the Fumoto valve nearly got me. I hit what was left of an armadillo. I kept a close eye on the mirror looking for obvious oil and nothing, so I thought I was fine. I got to where I was going, went in, came out, started the car, and when I put it into reverse it made a very light rattling noise and flashed the EPC light as I engaged the clutch. Put the car into first and started to engage the clutch and got the same thing. Popped the hood had a listen and everything sounded completely normal. Sat in the car and gently revved it (~1500 RPMs), the noise intensified and the big red ”SHIT SHIT SHIT NO OIL PRESSURE SHUT ME OFF NOW NOW NOW” warning flashed.

Walked around the car and wouldn’t ya know it… there was all my oil. What’s crazy to me is that the car drove a other ten minutes until I parked it to decide that it was time to dump the crank case.

Goddammit.

Used the widow-maker to lift the car to get a better look (I didn’t get under the car, I don’t actually want to die) and saw the Fumoto valve in the “LOL U FUK’T” position (open). Went in and bought a quart of garbage brand generic grocery store oil to see if it would hold oil. It did so I bought three more quarts. Inspected oil on the ground for sparkles (finely minced engine internals) and saw nothing, poured the oil in, crossed my fingers, and she fired right up and idled like nothing happened.

Next I’ll send in an oil sample for analysis and cut open the filter for a close inspection. If something looks off or the oil sample is bad I can file and insurance claim for a new engine.

View attachment 250529
If you do file an insurance claim take that fumato off, put a regular plug in and then punch a big hole in your pan. Thank me later

smanierre

Autocross Champion
If you do file an insurance claim take that fumato off, put a regular plug in and then punch a big hole in your pan. Thank me later
The gang commits insurance fraud

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Will do. Although I don’t think it’ll be necessary, I think I dodged the “catastrophic engine failure” grenade. Revs barely went above idle after it dumped the oil and the “dying engine” noises were only made for a fraction of a second total.

I fully expected it to knock when I started it back up, but no… smooth, quiet idle, like I had just changed the oil (I guess technically I did…).

No metal in the dumped oil and no metal on the dipstick. If theres no metal in the oil filter I think I’ll call it good.

I'm pretty sure you dodged a bullet there. Very glad Mr Fukomoto didn't get you. I hate those damned things. Normal drain plugs rule.