GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The right exhaust

modernmedusa

Car(s)
Mk7
I'm pretty new to the MK7 life, however my GTI has already been tuned and modded with a APR carbon fiber intake. My next goal is finding the right exhaust. I've done some research on Youtube as far as which ones sound like what and what benefit they have however that still hasn't satisfied me enough. I read some forums earlier stating that certain things such as deleting the muffler or res can cause CEL. I want to avoid any coding errors but still get a nice, head turning, smooth, sounding exhaust system. I'm not too picky as far as price goes, but ofc anything under 1000 would be more preferred. I'm not too picky on a drone sound just don't want to be one of those "Their car sounds like shit" people lol. i'm not super educated on the benefits of adding a DP or not, deleting the muffler/res or anything of that nature. I guess I would like more power added or maybe the sound of more power? I want to beable to start my whip and hear that growl. You know the one i'm talking about, that sound that cracks your lips a little and gives your arms goosebumps.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
It is a demonstrable fact that you can't make a mk7 sound very good. You can make it sound sort of good at low rpm or high rpm, but not both on the same car.

Here are your choices:
A. Raspy
B. Boomy
C. stock
D. a different car

Reactions: the

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Sound is subjective and you'll get a lot of different replies. Your best bet is to go make friends at a local car meet, listen to others setup and make your choice. You won't get a cel from deleting a resonator or muffler but those typically don't sound very good on an oem exhaust.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
CEL won’t occur with the stock Downpipe in place.
I ran a custom catback similar to the Borla for a while. To me it was the perfect combo of volume and sound. Didn’t drone or rasp.
My son then added a high flow cat Downpipe. CEL is thrown, much boomier, very loud at cold start-up. But the added power is absolutely noticeable. I’d add a Vibrant resonator in the mid pipe of it were still my car but my son likes the obnoxious exhaust.

Last edited:

modernmedusa

Car(s)
Mk7
CEL won’t occur with the stock Downpipe in place.
I ran a custom catback similar to the Borla for a while. To me it was the perfect combo of volume and sound. Didn’t drone or rasp.
My son then added a high flow cat Downpipe. CEL is thrown, much boomier, very loud at cold start-up. But the added power is absolutely noticeable. I’d add a Vibrant resonator in the mid pipe of it were still my car by my son likes the obnoxious exhaust.
The borla is one I've thought about getting prior! Thank you for your reply.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...st-tech-how-to-get-the-sound-you-want.345407/

There you go... you have a lot to read, but you will find almost every combination of exhaust available for this car mentioned there. In the end, if you don't want an obnoxiously loud raspy or a lot of drone, and money is not an option go with @GTI Jake cat-back. Hands down the best quality you will find at his price range.

Thanks for the the plug!

Unfortunately, I don’t offer anything that’ll meet his goals for $1,000 or less. In fact, with that budget I’d highly recommend a OEM CSS or TCR muffler & call it a day.

However, if he’s interested in getting compliments on the sound & aesthetics of the system & being able to fine tune the sound with over a dozen proprietary hand built options to choose from I’m definitely his guy.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
You can always wait and save up a little more money and get a downpipe and resonator from Jake. The ideal solution is only a little more money.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
If you never want a downpipe the only exhaust I recommend is the MBRP system. It sounds excellent, fits perfectly, and doesn't drone or make any weird noises. At cruising you can tell it's aftermarket but not loud, however when you get on the gas it sings. It doesn't sound raspy or metallic either, everyone I've shown it to describes it as a clean sound.

I have installed a multiple for my buddies and they all love them.

stevelatt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I went with Ultimate Racing for mine. I did their single resonator w/ mufflers configuration paired up with the stock downpipe and I'm very happy with the sound. Absolutely no drone when cruising but still gets loud when you get on it. Very nice deep tone since the piping is 3" all the way back even after the Y pipe to the dual exits. Most setups go down to 2.5" there. Obviously flow isn't an issue but the piping size affects the tone. Quality is 10/10. I paid just over $1k for it shipped from Canada where they are hand built.

thatblugli

Car(s)
2005 GLI, 2020 GTI
I have a 3inch CTS cat back. It also has 3inch piping in the Y section at the rear. Ideally I would like it to be a bit louder sometimes, but on a daily it really works. Dsg car with a stock down pipe.

As stated earlier this engine really doesn’t sound great. The cat back added some type of character