GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - TT-RS control arm bushings, without a press

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
For a spirited daily driver, do you recommend these over the Superpro, whiteline, etc. that have the added caster, based on price?
It depends on if you’re ok with slightly heavier steering, as that’s a side effect of increased caster. I’m not sure how much these increase effort on these cars, but for me I’m fine with how my steering is weighted.

Generally speaking people seem to be very happy with the +caster bushings, but all I wanted was the benefits of a solid bushing with no change in geometry.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Just put my new TTRS/RS3 solid control arm bushings in today along with new lemforder front bushings. Was a pain to press and install the new front bushings but got it done. Big difference over the older two hole S3 ones I had. Car feels a lot tighter but not much of an increase in steering heaviness. There's almost no NVH increase over the S3 bushings.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I forgot to mention. For anyone who wants to remove the driver side control arm on the DSG, remove your dogbone mount and take your widow maker jack and wedge it between the subframe and back of engine block and pad it with a wooden block or something. Then just crank the jack until the engine swings forward and basically kisses the radiator fans. There's just barely enough room to get the bolt out once you do this. MUCH easier than messing with the subframe

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
I’m maybe halfway through.
This was the easy part.
BCEDAF35-4FCC-43D9-B22E-6F6AC2AB26FC.jpeg

BF69BEE8-1924-4828-AE71-62871593E260.jpeg

6A46DDB1-4608-428D-95C7-FFDD468E7FFE.jpeg

This was the hard part. I’m using silicone grease because anti-seize grease or mineral oil based greases will deteriorate the rubber, and I don’t want to do this again any time soon, lol

DE6C7FC9-6E80-4CF9-93FB-479A7326CB88.jpeg

Done. Mine don’t look as nice as yours 🙄😆
CCEED4ED-4B08-4AA8-82FF-4C17082682CD.jpeg

Last edited:

2stroke

FEBI # 33973

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Popular Upgrade for the VAG PQ35 platform cars.
These uprated bush are a directly replace of the weak standard Wishbone Rear bush
These bush are solid rubber instead of voided which reduces movement, increasing life and steering feel.

These solid rubber bushes can be fitted on any of the following PQ35 platform cars:
VW Golf Mk5
VW Golf Mk6
VW Jetta Mk5
VW Jetta Mk6
VW Golf Plus Mk1
VW Caddy Mk3
VW Scirocco Mk3
VW Touran Mk1
VW New Beetle Mk2
VW Eos
Audi A3 Mk2
Audi TT Mk2
Seat Altea
Seat Leon Mk2
Seat Toledo Mk3
Skoda Octavia Mk2
Skoda Yeti

Last edited:

Harri1

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
How long did it take you to assemble the parts?
The first side took way longer than the second one, partially because I knew what I was doing at that point. I'd say the second one took about an hour and the first one took about three. The solid bushings are much more difficult to press onto the arm than the stock ones were coming off. I don't think I could remove the solid ones in the same way that people are removing the stock ones.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Is there a reason you shouldn't use the RS3 bracket in a Golf? I've been running them in my R for a few miles now and everything seems ok. I'm wondering if I should replace them though.

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
Is there a reason you shouldn't use the RS3 bracket in a Golf? I've been running them in my R for a few miles now and everything seems ok. I'm wondering if I should replace them though.
I think those are fine? Which part numbers did you install? It’s the TT bracket that is different if I’m not mistaken.

2stroke

Is there a reason you shouldn't use the RS3 bracket in a Golf-6 R ?
I've been running them in my R for a few miles now and everything seems ok.
I'm wondering if I should replace them though.
It’s the TT bracket that is different if I’m not mistaken.
The bushing itself is interchangeable between all PQ35 cars.
The design of the bracket itself differs on the TT

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
I think those are fine? Which part numbers did you install? It’s the TT bracket that is different if I’m not mistaken.
I used 1K0199231K and 1K0199232K - fitments guides say they're for an A3.

Does the TT bracket not bolt up, or is it an alignment change?

Chisel_86

Go Kart Champion
I used 1K0199231K and 1K0199232K - fitments guides say they're for an A3.

Does the TT bracket not bolt up, or is it an alignment change?
Yeah, yours are dimensionally the same as the golf/gti. The TT bracket will not bolt up properly as the mounting surfaces are offset.
In this photo, you can see the top bracket has the flange on the left centered to the rest of the bracket. The middle and lower brackets have the flange offset (one is left and one is right). But it also shows the difference between stock, S3, and TTRS inserts.

Here is another photo showing the offset in the bracket. TT on the right.

Last edited: