GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. D

Looking for the part that lights up the selected gear for the shifter on an automatic

Older cars have a light bulb there, but I popped off the trim piece around the shifter, and it looks like it's a small circuit board of some sort. I didn't want to pull the board out, until I can make sure I can get a replacement. But even at night, I can barely see which gear I've selected...
  2. D

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Do I need to use some sort of whacky european brake fluid on the golf?
  3. D

Maybe I'll just hit it with some rust reformer. How does that stuff work? I wouldn't have to sand it down to the bare metal? Also, unrelated, do these cars been when it drops below 40 degrees? I just got beeped at, and the temp on the dash was flashing. Scared me for a second.
  4. D

That's what I thought. I'll swap it out before I hit my next oil change.
  5. D

How thick is the metal on the oil drain pan? I got under the golf for the first time the other day, to change the oil. Everything looked good underneath, no rust at all, except a worrisome amount of rust on the oil pan. I figured that I would put in a new pan next time I change the oil, but...
  6. D

I had just gotten the golf, 2013 and still had the original battery in it. So yeah, shit battery for sure. When the battery died, I just had a cheap little 12v tapped into the fuse, with nothing in the 12v at all.
  7. D

That's good to know about the fuse box, I'll have to spend some time in it to make sure I get the right diagram. I just popped it in F34, that's either electric seats or lumbar support. It didn't have a fuse in there, and I don't think I have lumbar support. Plugged the tap in, and my phone...
  8. D

Yeah, my grocery-getter has hot 12v, and I often leave my phone charging all day when I am at work, no issues with that ever. How did you wire your dashcam up? Did you go into the fuse box?
  9. D

First I was trying to add an always on cigarette lighter into the glovebox so I could charge my phone if the car isn't on. But I just ordered a dash cam, it has a motion sensor for when it's parked, but it needs constant power for that to work. It's not a huge deal if I can't use that mode...
  10. D

Yeah, that's why I don't really want to go back into that fuse. The fuse diagram I printed didn't have #35 listed, but another diagram says #35 is Suspension control module
  11. D

What is a good constant 12v in the interior fuse box to tap? A few weeks ago, I went into #35, there wasn't a fuse there, and was a hot 12v, but it was killing my battery in just a few hours. Not even with anything hooked up to the outlet that I added. I have since gotten a new battery, but...
  12. D

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

Still settling in with my new-to-me 2013 2.5l. Last week I put in a new, bigger battery, the stock one was still in the car. Changed the air filters, swapped the plugs and coils. Just those few things and it feels like a new car. I had a feeling that I was burning a lot of gas when idle, so...
  13. D

Ok cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure one wasn't better than the other before I bought a set. A different question. Does the MK6 move the front wipers when you start/stop the car? I noticed that they are up higher when I'm driving it, then it seems to move them down a few mm when I turn...
  14. D

Without rubber https://www.ecstuning.com/b-nfis-original-equipment-parts/ignition-coil-priced-each/06e905115e~brp/ With rubber https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/ignition-coil-priced-each/06e905115f~bos/
  15. D

If I have a choice, are metal coils better, or the ones with the rubber insolation around the metal legs?
  16. D

Ok cool, I'll just pick some up at one of the local stores and get some rewards in the account.
  17. D

So this link shows that it fits a mk1 r8, and the mk6 2.5, is this what I'm looking for? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/ignition-coil-priced-each/06e905115f~bos/
  18. D

I'm looking into changing plugs/coils, and I came across some talk about using R8 coils. I can't really find much out about them, just old threads and dead links, search function here not so good. Is there a specific year R8 that I have to look into, or anything like that? I know it probably...
  19. D

What oil weight do you guys use?

I just picked up 10q of the castrol hoping I could change it today, got a good promotion at advance for it. I'll definitely get some of the high mileage Molly for one of the next oil changes though Previous owner said he did the plugs about 50k ago, so I was thinking maybe this or next month to...
  20. D

What oil weight do you guys use?

Yeah, I got most of the service records from the previous owner. The car has about 168k on it, and the past year they didn't do a lot of driving. I believe they drove it less than 6k the last 18 months. I haven't noticed any leaks or odors from the car yet, but I haven't taken off that splash...