GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. ElectricEye

Hyundai Santa Cruz may be the vehicle that gets me out of my GTI

I'm in 100% agreement. I'm a quite the nature guy myself, always been a big fan of keeping the air and water clean. Which is by the way, not necessarily the same thing as reducing greenhouse emissions, though alarmists are quite happy to blur the distinction. I'm a big Carl Sagan fan as well...
  2. ElectricEye

I'm 58, so I've got the same perspective as you Sandman. I've been a big nature and science fan, so I've followed all of this since I was little. I remember so many of these shows, stories etc. Having lived through any number of catastrophic changes that didn't come, I'm quite comfortable in the...
  3. ElectricEye

I don't know about the societal changes, I don't have much faith that those things will not get further out of control. As for sea level? I promise you, it'll be exactly where it is now, 20 to 30 years from now.
  4. ElectricEye

I found it to be an age when they love doing anything you want to do. They're your little friends, always up for even the most mundane trips. Everything is fun for them.
  5. ElectricEye

Ha! It's a great journey, isn't it? You've got many years of it left too. Six, seven, eight, nine... Loved those years! Probably the most fun.
  6. ElectricEye

Yeah, it's been great. It's kind of amazing that they were in booster seats in the back of my MK6 GTI, a car I drove them to school and summer camp in. Now here they are driving their own vehicles.
  7. ElectricEye

I've got the room - a very large driveway, but with my son's (19 year old twins) recently getting cars there's a bit of juggling them around at times to get in and out. If the GTI were a two seat open top car, or some wild muscle car that beckoned some getaway weekend driver experience - I'd be...
  8. ElectricEye

The very reason I would get out of the GTI for the Santa Cruz is because it isn't a truck. I'd get the versatility of a bed, plus some mild off road/bad weather capability - without dealing with a truck. Part of the reason I am interested in this vehicle is that the MK8 has largely lost me. My...
  9. ElectricEye

It appears that here in the states, one can get the 2.5 with all wheel drive optioned on the SEL model. That's the way I would go if I do this.
  10. ElectricEye

Yes, but that's something the MK8 also shares. And the screens on the Santa Cruz look more straight forward than those on the MK8. I've got a harder time forgiving non physical controls on a car that's supposed to be more performance focused.
  11. ElectricEye

That's been essentially my conclusion, only recently rocked a bit by the MK8 not exactly winning me over. Growing on me, but I had to have a MK7, the MK8 isn't exactly calling me. That, coupled with some of the limitations of some of the things that I would like to do - but won't do with my GTI...
  12. ElectricEye

Yes, this is one of the debates I've had with myself. My wife and I had the second gen, RAV4 when our son's were babies. That was the only SUV I could deal with, because it was the most car like. Cool little vehicle. I've also thought about a Toyota Tacoma (used) as some sort of beat on vehicle...
  13. ElectricEye

No, but up 'till now the GTI has been very close to being that vehicle for me for a long time.
  14. ElectricEye

Yes, that's the way I feel right now. I've been trying to rationalize the idea that I'd take the GTI out on GTI days. But looking at it realistically, I don't think that would happen often enough to warrant the expense and room. It would be better for me to have the money from a sale or trade of...
  15. ElectricEye

I've been in this GTI for 6 years now, which is a personal record for me. Truth is, I would keep the GTI - if/when the time comes I go for a Santa Cruz. But then I ask myself: Why pay to insure two vehicles? Why take up the garage and driveway space?
  16. ElectricEye

As some people on this forum may know, I've been here since purchasing my MK6 GTI in 2011, and then on to my current MK7 since 2015. As a car guy, I'm constantly checking out other cars and wondering what an alternative to my GTI might be - but nothing has gotten me out of my car. Well, the MK8...
  17. ElectricEye

If you were buying again DSG or MT

There are support groups for males who gauge their masculinity according to the transmission of the vehicle they drive. What other pissing contests of proving masculinity would you like to engage in? Push ups, bench pressing? How much liquor one can hold? Finances?
  18. ElectricEye

If you were buying again DSG or MT

There is absolutely no reason for me to ever purchase a manual transmission vehicle of any type for any reason.
  19. ElectricEye

To DSG or not to DSG…?

And right there is one of the stupidest reasons to drive a manual.