GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. MrFancypants

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

I fill with a vacuum tool so there shouldn't be any air in the system. Mine behaved as it usually does this morning... went straight to 190 and stayed there. I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm prepared to replace it, just trying to hold off on more work until next Summer.
  2. MrFancypants

yeah it’s never done this before, it’s always slowly and steadily climbed to 190 and stayed there. The gauge has always behaved like a glorified dummy light, which is what I thought it was until yesterday. But if your car is doing something similar I’ll just keep an eye on it for the time...
  3. MrFancypants

Have you heard of one behave like mine and then fail closed? Threat of failing open is a lot less serious. Obviously I'll have to fix it, but I'm trying to determine the urgency.
  4. MrFancypants

When the thermostats fail on these cars do they tend to fail open? I noticed my coolant temp gauge is acting a little odd on cold starts. Instead of climbing to 190 and staying there, it'll climb then fall a little, climb then fall a little, then it'll hit 190 and fall a couple of times before...
  5. MrFancypants

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Use an automatic center punch to make a small dimple in the center of the stud, this is to prevent a small drill bit from drifting off the stud. Then using the small drill bit, drill in just far enough for a bolt extractor. Then… use the bolt extractor. If that doesn’t work you can always just...
  6. MrFancypants

Man, I think maybe my impression of the car never moved beyond the first 100k miles, which were pretty much trouble free. The car only needed one warranty repair, I didn‘t have to endure the horrors of constantly exploding water pumps and intake manifolds, and my timing chain tensioner was fine...
  7. MrFancypants

Okay so I’ve hesitated with declaring victory because lately when I do that something new breaks, but my engine appears to be happy now. I should have changed the coil packs a long time ago, the engine is much smoother and more responsive. Rolling into the throttle at low RPMs in 2nd or 3rd...
  8. MrFancypants

Get some nice looking wheel bolts and ditch those plastic covers. Let that hardware shine!
  9. MrFancypants

Hmm ok, I’ll give that a shot when my new coils get here.
  10. MrFancypants

Yup, they’re the ones you told me were shit after I had purchased them (SuperPro). I guessed they wouldn’t last forever, but I figured they’d go for a few oil changes. I was careful to orient the top and bottom ball joints at the proper angle relative to each other before tightening them so...
  11. MrFancypants

It's nice. I keep mine plugged in all the time... so I can quickly scan any time I get a new and interesting misfire to diagnose.
  12. MrFancypants

Nah, I just bought some Bosch red tops from FCPEuro. Although now I’m looking at the price and maybe I should have bought the APR coils.
  13. MrFancypants

Well… timing chain is brand new and I keep an eye on the oil level. How often do balance shafts go bad? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone having that kind of problem.
  14. MrFancypants

Okay so... my car ran great for two whole days aside from the new suspension clunk that I'm 75% sure is a swaybar end link. Today a coil-pack shit itself. So that's cool. I wonder what will be next... the alternator? Water pump?
  15. MrFancypants

Fuel pressure sensor replacement

ended up replacing the HPFP and all four injectors. It ran great for two days, then a coil-pack shit itself.
  16. MrFancypants

Goddammit another rattle in the suspension. Either a brand new swaybar link is bad or a strut is making noise. I just want to enjoy my car for a while without having to crawl underneath it after every single drive.
  17. MrFancypants

I was changing the oil at the same time, using that cardboard to help catch any mess under the car, also my hands had some oil on them as I was handling the plugs.
  18. MrFancypants

Time to do some mods on my bone stock mk6.

If your suspension is still stock, look into some replacement struts as well as some fresh bushings for the rear position of the front control arms. If you're feeling like you really want to take the extra step to tighten up handling also consider fresh bushings from the trailing arms at the...
  19. MrFancypants

Spot the bad spark plug... Left is the oil that came out of the engine, right is an unopened bottle. Sorry the picture is blurry, but look at the difference in amount of fluid. The container on the left has noticeably more in it.
  20. MrFancypants

Fresh oil and plugs and the weird, definitely not the direct injection ticking noises are gone. Gave her the beans and feels as smooth and strong as ever, all codes are cleared and none of have returned. At first I thought one of the injectors hadn't sealed because after I fired it up I could...