GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0w30, 0w40, 5w30 or 5w40..

phem0r

Hi everyone

Last year i moved from the UK to USA - near Pittsburgh, PA.

I owned a MK5 GTI in the UK and i used Castrol Edge 5w30 every time i did oil change. I now own a MK6 GTI over here and i'm seeing conflicting information from googling what oil to use over here.

The specs in my manual state VW 502 00, VW 503 00, VW 504 00 yet i've seen people saying do not use 502 spec in the USA etc..
So, based on where i live (cold winter and pretty hot summer(to me anyway)) which oil should i be using, i am assuming 5w40..

Thanks in advance and apologies, i know this type of question gets asked a lot no doubt.

jwal

Ready to race!
I am in Pittsburgh and use castrol synthetic 5wx40. It is what the dealers use as well. Meets VW 502 spec.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I plan to use Mobile 1 0w40 in my GTI. It meets the VW spec & it is what I use in my other 2 cars. I like the idea of only have to keep one kind of oil on the shelf.

robeeeerob

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

Fonzii18

Ready to race!
I used pennzoil ultra 5w40.
My family owns some shops in texas and all the studies our venders show us show that it's the best thing for a performance car. It's the only oil made from vapor and not crude oil. But I mean the cap does say Castrol ;)
At the end of the day brand is a preference, deal recommends 5w40; well atleast in texas they do

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
I used pennzoil ultra 5w40.
My family owns some shops in texas and all the studies our venders show us show that it's the best thing for a performance car. It's the only oil made from vapor and not crude oil. But I mean the cap does say Castrol ;)
At the end of the day brand is a preference, deal recommends 5w40; well atleast in texas they do

excuse my ignorance, what's the benefit or difference if the engine oil is made from vapor or crude? i thought most engine oil was made from crude oil.

Last edited:

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
thanks for the video! it's informational but at the same time it's pretty biased since it's from the pennzoil.

i don't mind if you go on about it. i'd like to learn more. it's more information for other consumers. :)

Fonzii18

Ready to race!
Yeah like I said most people on here probably don't want to hear a 20 year old rant about his knowledge in oil.
It's all about preference and at the end of the day it's just a brand. Just as long as you service regularly and use the grade the dealer recommends you should be fine.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
haha. thanks. i was already there but nothing too concrete imo. also, does anyone have the most recent approved oil list?

BarryT82

Go Kart Champion
I've always used Mobil 1 0W-40 in 1.8T's and 2.0T gasoline engines I've owned. You can get deals on it at Advance Auto Parts with a free filter. They don't offer a filter for our cars so I pick out the most expensive one and return it for a store credit.