GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.4 TSI - Engine/Start up problems.

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Right so...

It does not happen every time but it happens often enough.

Whenever the car has been sat for more than 8 hours or if it is really cold outside when i go to turn the car on it will not start, the engine will shake and it will sound rough as F! and the engine light will be on and the rev counter just drops i have not left it on long enough to see too much as i just turn it off straight away.

I will then turn off the car and try to restart and after a couple of attempts the car will start.. the engine light will be off and the engine sounds as it should and drives great.

What could the problem be?

Thanks!

It is the 122 version.

UPDATE:

About 15 minutes ago after putting petrol in.. i turned the car on and there was a slight vibration and the engine light flashed on and off. First time it has done this.. Misfire?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Probably Low fuel pressure due to a failed pressure regulator in the fuel filter, there’s quite a few threads on the same/similar problem, change the fuel filter but make sure you use the correct BAR rating (stamped on the end of the filter), 6.6bar for the GTi but not sure for your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Can i change the filter myself WITHOUT the use of VCDS?

Possible to bleed the air out by turning the car on and off?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Can i change the filter myself WITHOUT the use of VCDS?

Possible to bleed the air out by turning the car on and off?

Presuming it’s in the same place as the GTi under the car by the tank then it’s an easy job, there’s a few DIY’s and videos online I believe!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Of course they may be different on the 1.4tsi!

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
I would like to add i have noticed something this morning.

So first thing after it has been left over night... i go to start the car and it will either not start or start but will sound rough and the rev counter will just drop and it will cut out... now before i would turn the car off and leave it a couple of seconds and go again and it would take me a fair bit of time before it would eventually start.

Well i have noticed if i start > turn off > then instantly turn the key again to start straight away before it fully turned off it will only take 1 or 2 trys and it will start?

Has this helped in anyway?

I am still going to change the fuel filter but can't do it yet but hopefully its something like that.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I would like to add i have noticed something this morning.

So first thing after it has been left over night... i go to start the car and it will either not start or start but will sound rough and the rev counter will just drop and it will cut out... now before i would turn the car off and leave it a couple of seconds and go again and it would take me a fair bit of time before it would eventually start.

Well i have noticed if i start > turn off > then instantly turn the key again to start straight away before it fully turned off it will only take 1 or 2 trys and it will start?

Has this helped in anyway?

I am still going to change the fuel filter but can't do it yet but hopefully its something like that.

That’s what mine did, new fuel filter fixed it!

This is a video I took at the time,
https://youtu.be/7axi_KGF664

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Get the filter from either eurocarparts or GSF, go online and use click and collect and add one of these discount codes,

GSF - GSF60

ECP - FEB70

Make sure you get the right part as there will be a few options probably!

VW6

Passed Driver's Ed
Not got round to doing it yet ^^ been using another car for now, but i did get a cheap code reader and it gave me P0302, misfire on cylinder 2.

I switched the coils round but the code didn't change.

What about the spark plugs? ill upload a pic

https://i.imgur.com/MXdRfBr.jpg

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Incorrect Fuel pressure is one of the possible causes of that code, change the filter and it will fix it I’m sure! Plug looks ok to me.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Obviously it would be wise to swap the plug around to check if the misfire moves with it,

Possible causes of P0302

Faulty spark plug #2
Clogged or faulty fuel injector #2
Faulty ignition coil #2
Fuel injector #2 harness is open or shorted
Fuel injector #2 circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coil #2 harness is open or shorted
Ignition coil #2 circuit poor electrical connection
Insufficient cylinder #2 compression
Incorrect fuel pressure
Intake air leak