GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

10,000 Oil Change ?

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Had this done bout 10 days ago. Checked the oil today , and it looked dirty-certainly not clear like it should look after an oil change. Don't they change the oil at 10,000?

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
there's a lot of threads on this

some people think VW says 10k so they don't have to pay a fortune doing scheduled maintenance and some think it's perfectly fine to do it every 10k. Some people have had an oil analysis done to get a better idea of how often it needs to be changed. A lot of it comes down to your driving habits. City/stop and go driving would require more frequent changes.

I do it every 5k for the peace of mind. Some will agree with me, some say its a waste of time/money to do it that often.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Whitewolf33: that is not the question he was asking. The question is whether they indeed changed his oil.
OP: you cannot tell if the oil is fresh with a synthetic. It gets dark very fast unlike conventional oil.
You can contact the dealership and ask to see the work order if you are concerned.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
whoops sorry - if you're saying you brought the car in to VW for scheduled 10k maintenance, they should have changed the oil

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Thanks...that's probably the situation -the synthetic oil darkens quickly. But I'll check with the dealer anyway.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
10K OCI on modern synthetics is incredibly conservative; if you are doing oil changes shorter than that you are just flushing money. Feel free if you want to... ;)

OP: Modern oils are designed to pick up the crud in your engine and hold it in suspension; that's why they darken so quickly. It is doing it's job from the sounds of it. If you are really concerned about it you can change it again yourself and mark the filter so you can see if they change it at the next one.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
It's more than ok to do 10k oil changes on these engines, altough most will say to do it every 5k for piece of mind... I do it every 5k due to having a Frankenturbo/aggressive tune.

For all I know I am wasting money but I'd rather not have to look back and say what if... in case something were to happen.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
if you're tuned and driving your car hard then every 5k wouldn't hurt. they don't assume owners are ringing out the engine to 7k that often when they create the intervals. imo it can only help things and it's pretty cheap so why not.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
someone told me i was dumb for doing the 5k intervals until they saw how i beat the f-ing shit out of this thing and then it alllll made sense. If you would describe your driving habits as such, just shell out the money for 5k's so you can keep beating on it to 150,000 haha

SyDiko

Ready to race!
My MK6 had an issue where oil would leak out (only small drips) because of a 'microcrack.'

It's been since fixed, but I always check my levels/color every 2-4k just in case.

lucino

I just changed out the Motul from 5K miles ago and it was dark. I'm going to change it after 3K to see if the Castrol Edge will come out looking better.

Letus

Passed Driver's Ed
I just changed out the Motul from 5K miles ago and it was dark. I'm going to change it after 3K to see if the Castrol Edge will come out looking better.

Its a turbo motor. The oil is gonna turn dark real fast, and its not a reliable indicator of anything other than the fact its black. I just drained mine out after about 3k (Mobil 1) for removal of the timing cover and its black already.