GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

166k 2011 gti turbo timing chain ?

Dboyle44

Just picked up a MK6 gti from a friend who’s going through a rough time. He’s taken good care of the car. It’s a stage 2 , but he bought it at 120k. Replaced the transmission at 130k. What’s the likelihood the original time chain is still on the car. I already oln in having the carbon cleaned. But has anyone heard of the original timing chain going 166k miles.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Get OBDEleven or VCDS and check block 93 in the engine module with the car running that will give you an indea how much the chain is worn. The more pressing issue is if the timing chain tensioner is the old style or updated

Dboyle44

Get OBDEleven or VCDS and check block 93 in the engine module with the car running that will give you an indea how much the chain is worn. The more pressing issue is if the timing chain tensioner is the old style or updated
Yes , I’m going to bring it to be checked out tomorrow by a mechanic. It’s not flying through oil , runs great def back fires and idles high on cold starts. I know the carbon needs to be cleaned out. It’s a sweet little car I don’t know if I’m going to keep it long being that 166k is a lot on any turbo motor. He is convinced tensioners and or chain was done being no one’s ever heard a story of a gti making it that far without having it changed.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There's a few people who've made it that far on the the old style tensioner and chain. Huge gamble though not worth the risk. I did both my tensioner and chain around 100k personally. Engine and original turbo still running strong at 150k now. The tensioner can be checked through an inspection plug on the timing cover

Dboyle44

I’m definitely going to have it checked before, as far as carbon cleaning is it worth walnut blasting yourself? Kit $300 shop up to $1000 so if I do the chain and Walnut blast I’m looking at about 2k. Worth it for a 266k gti idk? He has a stage 2 tune on it . It’s bagged and very loud . I really do enjoy the car but wonder if dumping money into a high mileage most likely abused mk6 is worth it.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I've cleaned carbon a few times my self. I've done it when pulling off the intake manifold so ive never paid for it but ive never done walnut blasting ive done it by scraping off the carbon manually with chemicals. Takes an hour or two but it gets the job done mostly.