GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5L daily build.

janz3n

I purchased a 2015 civic si a couple years ago. I drove it for one winter and after that I couldn't do it again. Living in Canada we use lots of salt on the roads and I could bare to watch it rust. I know it's just a civic but I'd like to keep it for a long time. I drive it every day until it snows.

So because of that I decided I need a daily/ winter beater. Last year I bought an old Dodge Dakota and right away hated driving it. I'm not a big truck guy but it comes in handy. So this year I started searching for a new beater. This golf was traded in at my work and I got a very good deal on it.

It's got some rust on the roof which I plane on getting fixed, I hope. For now I'm just doing the basic mods to make it more fun to drive. The resonator had a hole in it so that was the first fix with just a pipe to replace it. I plan on getting a yonaka cat back eventually but at the moment they are back ordered.

First purchases so far are h&r sport springs and some new rims which I'm waiting on

Looking to get an injen short Ram intake and spoken vacuum delete as I'm sure my vacuum pump is leaking.

Also plane to remove the clear hood and fender bras and the red stripes in preparation for paint correction after the rust repair on the hood.

Really not used to the long gears on this compared to my 6 speed si trans.
Using 4th gear on the high way is confusing to me.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Welcome! Lotsa great reading and inspiration here. There’s a dedicated 5 Banger thread if you didn’t notice already. There’s a handful of us in Ontario too. I’m on H&R Sports and love’em.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
looks good dude

janz3n

thanks! took it for its first 30 minute drive to work yesterday since i lowered it and put the wheels on. also let the suspension settle for a few days so i could an alignment at work. there are so many options for golf models on the alignment machine, i wasnt sure which one to use. ended up using the sportline with 18" wheels. i was surprised the rear camber is within spec at -1.9 and -1.6 and -1.4 in the front. when i used specs for the base model the camber was out of spec. due to rust and seized bolts in bushings i didnt want to even try adjusting the camber at all, the right rear toe was slightly out and i was able to adjust it slightly but the adjuster bolt is seized in the control arm bushings for sure.

i have a hook up that works at the local audi dealer that can get me cost on some missing front end parts, lower splash shield and some under covers that i'll be purchasing before winter.

next purchases i really want are an intake and vacuum delete as im pretty sure its leaking.

janz3n

Still waiting for my yonaka exhaust for the si. Should come in in time to store the car for the winter.

Picked up some OEM parts for the golf, was missing the left side grill and all the front splash shields and one front fender liner. Really wanted this stuff for winter. Former tech from my work that works for Audi and got the parts at cost.

Wife adopted a dog that doesn't know how to lay down properly.

Also installed a usb usb charger in my golf as it didn't have any. Removed the cigarette lighter power outlet and put it in its place. Thought that was really smart. Really want to upgrade the audio in this car, just some new component speakers with a new amp and maybe a double din deck eventually. Also really debating retrofitting some projectors since this car will be driven in the dark more offer as a winter car.

janz3n

Civic exhaust is backordered till October now. Great.

Ordered a cheap android radio off amazon, it's only android 8.1 but wanted to see how it works. Came to $130cnd.

Depending on sound quality with the new radio I might be looking to replace the speakers and 4 channel amp at some point as well.

janz3n

Been a while.
As this is my winter vehicle I went Subaru on my golf and ordered some rokblokz mudflaps.

Also didn't like the android radio so I sold it pretty quick a while ago. Only thing I hate about the oem radio is I can't change songs with the steering wheel controls using Bluetooth.

I've been trying to find a spulen vacuum pump delete kit in stock on a Canadian site with no luck, although I didn't think to check one site which sold out a couple weeks ago. Back ordered till next month. I'll be placing an order soon. Sick of the oil leak. Also getting some front strut noise probably due to the cheap quick strut with the lowering springs. Being in Canada I get raped with Koni shock/strut prices ( $300 cnd per strut) and I'm getting some clutch slip on cold take offs now that its getting colder. Hoping to put off doing a clutch until the spring when I can use my civic.

Turbosharef

Go Kart Newbie
Update your bluetooth module to 9W7 to get the steering wheel controls to work, or try out an RCD330, lots of people like that radio

janz3n

Update your bluetooth module to 9W7 to get the steering wheel controls to work, or try out an RCD330, lots of people like that radio

I think I'd rather just go aftermarket, finding that stuff locally would be hard.

I purchased a dog bone mount insert. Back ordered so won't see it for 2 weeks.

I've noticed my clutch chatters on take off ( more so when cold ) but never slips once in gear. Really hoping the insert might help this a little but not that hopeful. Really don't want to replace the clutch or at least make it last until the spring.

janz3n

First snow fall drive a few weeks ago.

Ordered a steering wheel cover from east detailing.

Spent a few minutes laying some left over vinyl wrap on the rear emblem.