GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 Differences I have between Golf R and GTI

MCSEDaany

My daughter has a 13 GTI DSG and I just picked up a 13 R manual. 2 difference I have noticed and wanted to ask about is when starting the GTI you simply turn the key to start and let go and it cranks, on the R I have to turn and hold the key until the engine fully starts. Is this a manual thing or is it the difference in engines? Next the auto up on the windows does not work on the R which seems odd.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
My 11' GTI (manual) I have to hold the key until it cranks and starts, I can't let go until engine cranks and turns over... It has to be a manual trans thing...

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
My 11' GTI (manual) I have to hold the key until it cranks and starts, I can't let go until engine cranks and turns over... It has to be a manual trans thing...
My 14' GTI manual has the "touch" ignition, I don't have to hold down the key. Maybe it was something they changed during the MK6 era?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
My 14' GTI manual has the "touch" ignition, I don't have to hold down the key. Maybe it was something they changed during the MK6 era?
push to start. it is called push to start. The 2013 and some 2012 GTI's have it. 2013 and beyond all have push to start. Both R's and GTI's.

I am a physical key type of guy. Physical keys have magical properties... My 2017 BMW has push to start, and I don't really like it, it's kinda cool and convenient (contact-less access) but it's a key fog hack waiting to happen.
Push to start cars are easier to steal BUT! if you drive a VW or any other EURO car, it's A LOT harder for thieves... it's the JDM cars that are easily stolen. This is a fact.

Even with push to start, you still get a physical key... it's usaully inside the remote/key fob device... so I personally think it's a marketing thing and to make the car seem more modern... IMO.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
push to start. it is called push to start. The 2013 and some 2012 GTI's have it. 2013 and beyond all have push to start. Both R's and GTI's.

I am a physical key type of guy. Physical keys have magical properties... My 2017 BMW has push to start, and I don't really like it, it's kinda cool and convenient (contact-less access) but it's a key fog hack waiting to happen.
Push to start cars are easier to steal BUT! if you drive a VW or any other EURO car, it's A LOT harder for thieves... it's the JDM cars that are easily stolen. This is a fact.

Even with push to start, you still get a physical key... it's usaully inside the remote/key fob device... so I personally think it's a marketing thing and to make the car seem more modern... IMO.
That's not what I'm talking about. On my 14 GTI you put the key in and just turn it briefly, you don't have to hold it down to crank, you just turn it and let go.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
That's not what I'm talking about. On my 14 GTI you put the key in and just turn it briefly, you don't have to hold it down to crank, you just turn it and let go.
oh... weird... I have to hold it... I'm used to holding it until the engine turns over, I don't let go, nor will I try to let go... it's just how I always operated key-to-ignition vehicles

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
oh... weird... I have to hold it... I'm used to holding it until the engine turns over, I don't let go, nor will I try to let go... it's just how I always operated key-to-ignition vehicles
It was a strange discovery. Back in the carbureted days when the car was tuned well you could just "tap" the key and it would fire up, then can fuel injection and we had to hold the key until it started. I read about this feature on the GTI and tried it, now it's such a habit that when I drive a different car it always takes 2 tries to start it because I don't hold the key down long enough the first time.