GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2009 Golf GTI - Subwoofer Install

Jaynormous

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to install my Kicker 10" Sub & Amp Combo kit https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn...r/Kicker-44KKP210-Sub-and-Amp-Combo/p/ME24574 to the head unit in my car, I believe its an RCD330 but not 100% sure. It's a cheap head unit off Aliexpress (the previous owner put it in). It unfortunately doesn't have RCA inputs which makes it a tad more difficult. I've been told that it is better to connect to the head unit somehow rather than connecting it to the rear speakers as I've seen other people do. I know I'd have to splice it into the wires at the back of the head unit somehow, but not sure which wires to splice into.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jay.

IMG20221010181246.jpgIMG20221010181254.jpgIMG20221010181302.jpgIMG20221010181305.jpg

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
That link doesn't give much useful information. Does that amp have high level inputs, or just low level (RCAs)? Can you post a picture of the amp, or at least provide the actual model number?

You need a fullrange input into the amp, so please verify the head unit that you have. If there is a high pass filter on the channel you tap into, then the sub bass frequencies will already be removed and won't be helpful to send to a subwoofer.

Jaynormous

That link doesn't give much useful information. Does that amp have high level inputs, or just low level (RCAs)? Can you post a picture of the amp, or at least provide the actual model number?

You need a fullrange input into the amp, so please verify the head unit that you have. If there is a high pass filter on the channel you tap into, then the sub bass frequencies will already be removed and won't be helpful to send to a subwoofer.
Thanks for your comment.

I believe the RCA's are low level from what I've researched but I could be wrong. Not too sure about the high level inputs on the amp. I have attached some photos of the amp.

As I said, the head unit is a cheap Aliexpress one so there isn't too much information about it out there, Although here is the link to the closest one on Aliexpress, my head unit is made by JNDSNY as well except it doesn't have the aux port or the fuse in the connection slot. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...b816640793521177856efd33!10000015466135263!im

IMG20221012123654.jpgIMG20221012123722.jpg

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so the head unit does not have low level (RCA) outputs, so you'll need to tap into a left or right speaker to get the signal. The amp accepts both high and low level, but it looks like both are via an RCA plug, that means you'll need to tap into the speaker with regular speaker wire, run it to the amp, and connect an RCA plug to the speaker wire to connect to the amp.

You'll need something like this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...txrM_8MlOfwOZbttBTSRZ1MfknYtqL00aAtb1EALw_wcB

Since there is basically no information about that head unit, I don't know if you need to tap into the front, or rear speaker to get a fullrange signal. On an aftermarket head unit both front and rear are fullrange, but on OEM and OEM adjacent head units it can be either one, neither one, or both. I would start by taping into a rear speaker output and connecting that to the amp before putting your dash back together.