GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2010 GTD Hot drink down the center console

GTDPlymUK

Picked up a manual 2010 GTD on Saturday, on Sunday jumped in the car to go for a walk with the Mrs and little one, travel mug of tea in the center console cup holder, must've tipped over when driving and didn't notice.
The cup went directly backwards, with the opening laying on top of the deeper end. By the time I noticed there was barely any liquid in the cup holder (from a full travel mug), but there was droplets on top of the cup holder like under the handbrake housing, also drops coming down by the passenger seat.
2 questions;
Any idea if anything under there will be damaged?
Is there an easy way to get into/under the center console in order to clean?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
There's really not anything under there that you need to worry about being damaged. Removing the center console is a time consuming process, there are a lot of pieces that have to come apart to get under there. You can unbolt the seats, and lean them back to clean the carpet between the seats and console, but if you want to disassemble the center console then you've got a fairly large project ahead. It's not super difficult, I've done it a few times, but it is time consuming, and there are a lot of little clips that need to go back together exactly otherwise you'll have fitment issues.

GTDPlymUK

There's really not anything under there that you need to worry about being damaged. Removing the center console is a time consuming process, there are a lot of pieces that have to come apart to get under there. You can unbolt the seats, and lean them back to clean the carpet between the seats and console, but if you want to disassemble the center console then you've got a fairly large project ahead. It's not super difficult, I've done it a few times, but it is time consuming, and there are a lot of little clips that need to go back together exactly otherwise you'll have fitment issues.
Okay well I'm definitely not getting under the center console then, I am glad there's nothing under there that could get damaged though.
Theres a screw under the rubber insert in the cup holder, any chance I'd be able to get my hand in there? Even if it's just to put some upholstery cleaner down

GTDPlymUK

Also thank for your reply, you've definitely put my mind at ease

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Okay well I'm definitely not getting under the center console then, I am glad there's nothing under there that could get damaged though.
Theres a screw under the rubber insert in the cup holder, any chance I'd be able to get my hand in there? Even if it's just to put some upholstery cleaner down
The cup holder piece slides into the center console, you cannot remove it while the main console piece is in place, it's also screwed in from below. You're not going to get your hand in there without disassembling the entire console, which involves removing the panel by the rear passenger vents, the shifter trim, and part of the dash around the climate controls.

There aren't really any wires to worry about, there may be one ground wire, but I don't recall exactly, and it wouldn't be anything to worry about. Realistically, stuffing some towels between the seat and console to soak up as much moisture as possible is the best you can do if you don't want a fairly substantial project.

I've disassembled the console a few times, between running wiring for my stereo, and installing the Euro cup holder, and it's time consuming. Doing so would be the best way to get everything clean, but if it's just tea, then all you really need to worry about is some mild staining that you probably won't see through the carpet if you clean it up the best you can.

GTDPlymUK

The cup holder piece slides into the center console, you cannot remove it while the main console piece is in place, it's also screwed in from below. You're not going to get your hand in there without disassembling the entire console, which involves removing the panel by the rear passenger vents, the shifter trim, and part of the dash around the climate controls.

There aren't really any wires to worry about, there may be one ground wire, but I don't recall exactly, and it wouldn't be anything to worry about. Realistically, stuffing some towels between the seat and console to soak up as much moisture as possible is the best you can do if you don't want a fairly substantial project.

I've disassembled the console a few times, between running wiring for my stereo, and installing the Euro cup holder, and it's time consuming. Doing so would be the best way to get everything clean, but if it's just tea, then all you really need to worry about is some mild staining that you probably won't see through the carpet if you clean it up the best you can.
Ahh I see, yea I'm 100% not going to take up the center console in that case.
My only other concern is that it was milky tea (being english), so slightly concerned about the smell. Is there anywhere down there for the liquid to sit? Or will it all have soaked into the carpet?