GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI Steering wheel shakes at highway speeds, especially on acceleration...

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Hey all,

2011 GTI with about 58k miles on it.

Noticed recently that my steering feels a bit clunky at lower speeds, and floaty and higher speeds. At 65+mph, the steering wheel will shake and every bump in the road can be felt. I'm going to drop it off at a shop tomorrow, but from what I've gathered, it could be ball joint(s) or shocks/struts. I've noticed my driver's side mirror shakes hard on the highway than the passenger side. I thought it could be the wind, but it almost seems related to the issue at hand.

For the record, no clunks or thumps, from anything under the car that I can hear, and no visible oil coming off the shocks/struts either. The sway bar brackets are worn, but that appears to be the only noticeable thing I can see. Also note, tires are good, and alignment has been done. Tires were rotated and problem persists but I suppose it could be a bent wheel, or bad tires. Hoping the shop can deduce tomorrow.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Maybe you need an alignment. Some steering wheel vibrations could be anything from broken/worn suspension components, a wheel out of balance, an alignment issue, a bad tire, etc. Inspect what you can, then take it to a wheel/tire/alignment shop.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Yeah I think it might be busted suspension components. I feel every shitty bump in the road, some extremely hard. Steering feels a little floaty, or disconnected at times. Turning and lane changes feel like shit, etc.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
def read this thread. many of us tried basically a-z and some found success, but there are a lot of causes, and a lot of it seems to come down to the general geometry of the suspension design of the car. I.E., if you have one bad bushing, or a set of upgraded bushings but not others, vibrations work their way up the line. Kind of a butterfly effect. Seems to take a very systematic approach or you'll be chasing your tail and spending a lot of money to maybe/maybe not actually fix the issue. In one of my last posts, after replacing and upgrading essentially my entire suspension, wheels, tires, wheel bearings, i had success, but even then i do recall still feeling the shaking on acceleration at highway speeds intermittently later down the road.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...g-wheel-shake-at-highway-speeds.307835/page-3

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
def read this thread. many of us tried basically a-z and some found success, but there are a lot of causes, and a lot of it seems to come down to the general geometry of the suspension design of the car. I.E., if you have one bad bushing, or a set of upgraded bushings but not others, vibrations work their way up the line. Kind of a butterfly effect. Seems to take a very systematic approach or you'll be chasing your tail and spending a lot of money to maybe/maybe not actually fix the issue. In one of my last posts, after replacing and upgrading essentially my entire suspension, wheels, tires, wheel bearings, i had success, but even then i do recall still feeling the shaking on acceleration at highway speeds intermittently later down the road.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...g-wheel-shake-at-highway-speeds.307835/page-3
sounds like a fucking pain in the ass. I got two balding tires I'm gonna swap for new ones, and have them balance all 4 when I get those installed. If there's no change, I'm gonna shop for OEM/OEM-like shocks/struts. I'm too old for the low shit these days and every bump hits my lumbar like a dagger.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Front control arm rear bushings if you feel vibrations on acceleration (I just replaced mine)
wheel balance if its always vibin

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Ended up being belt separation on all four tires. BF Goodrich g-force comp 2s. Trying to get BFGR to pay up. I got some bad ball joints, and one rear shock too.

dub*man

Ready to race!
Ended up being belt separation on all four tires. BF Goodrich g-force comp 2s. Trying to get BFGR to pay up. I got some bad ball joints, and one rear shock too.
Michelin/BFG are usually amazing with warranty coverage. Hope it goes smoothly.