GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Candy White 2dr Base Model GTI, or Abby as I call her

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to re-painting the winter wheels i scooped last year for $200 (with these same tires mounted)

I made a standalone thread with info on what I used and the steps I followed to help anyone else. Click here to see it.

Few hours of sanding/spray painting and here is the finished product:

Wheel41 - Copy.jpg

Wheel52 - Copy.jpg

Here they are mounted on the car:

WinterWheels2.png

WinterWheels.png

It was super nice to have actual snow tires for the first time last winter, even nicer to know they actually look good on the car for this winter 🤣😂🤣

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It was super nice to have actual snow tires for the first time last winter, even nicer to know they actually look good on the car for this winter 🤣😂🤣

Looking good man!! I just got some custom stickers that say "Winter MODE" to put on the Touareg's plastidipped OEMs I use for the winter setup, just so people know I don't roll that way year round. lol

The only people that argue against running true winter's are people that have never done it and seen the difference they make. Or idiots. ;)

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Looking good man!! I just got some custom stickers that say "Winter MODE" to put on the Touareg's plastidipped OEMs I use for the winter setup, just so people know I don't roll that way year round. lol

The only people that argue against running true winter's are people that have never done it and seen the difference they make. Or idiots. ;)

Ahh, the good old argument of Function > Form

I find Form > Function people don't tend to drive VW's, so at least that's nice 👍👍

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Ahh, the good old argument of Function > Form

I find Form > Function people don't tend to drive VW's, so at least that's nice 👍👍

Nah, they're here, check out all the carnage in the "Stance and stretch" parking crowd. lol

Eh well, we're all petrol heads and freedom of expression is what it's all about afterall. I like to think Function = Form, because something that works right is certainly the best looking thing in the world. :)

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Finally got a few more pics of the car in winter mode with actual snow on the ground, so figured I'd post them here.

Amazing how much of a difference snow tires make when it comes to the level of confidence you can have driving through slush/snow on the road. I've pulled into & out of un-plowed driveways with a bit of ice on the ground a few times with no issue now. Stage 2 tune + clutch can make it a bit tricky here and there when ice is involved, but its never really been too bad an issue.

Another important note; this is my first winter with the Deka ETX-30L 21lb AGM battery. I replaced my OEM battery with a 2011 manufacture date with the one I am running now over the summer and was never really clear how it would do in the winter near me. COVID has been a great test as I barely drive the thing, and mostly when I do its pretty short trips and not typically a long commute. So AFAIK its a pretty decent stress-test. I have not seen any issues as of yet, went of a full 2k mile road trip recently as well and didn't even blink an eye at it.

I was able to clock around 1k miles in just about 14.5 hours while getting 23-24mpg. If I had slowed down a bit, I bet I could have gotten closer to 30mpg. Mid-twenties at a nice pace fully packed sounds good to me though - I was more than happy with that performance.

Overall still loving the car and itching for one or two mods to be done before spring/summer comes back around.

Probably about time to re-do my intake system & maybe add an aftermarket intercooler. After that I will probably pause until the motor gets pulled for timing chain system & rear main seal as well as a few other small things.

Current odometer read is just north of 126k

20210103_105109.png

20210103_105116 - Copy.jpg

20210103_105129 - Copy.jpg

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Slow updates for the past few months as priorities shift in life. A few notes that might help another fellow VW fan making choices...

Replaced the windshield wiper motor and transmission due to failure - took 2 hours or so, not a bad DIY at all.
Transmission for the wipers was totally locked up - even after removal and banging it against the floor, would not budge an inch.. guess water got in there?
Parts for reference:
Transmission
Wiper Motor

Had the last (3rd in line... CBFA) o2 sensor die randomly. Got a CEL for heating circuit error. Replaced it with this universal one off ECS. Very straightforward install, hardest part was jacking the car up. Snip a few wires, make a few connections, tuck it all away; voilà, no more CEL.

Pulled the trigger on some rims/tires over the summer - went with 17x8 et 45Enkei TFRs and wrapped them in 235/45ZR-17 General GMAX RS'
Love the way it drives. Wheels are noticeably lighter, more rubber makes for a comfier ride, and much stickier tires as well. What an upgrade.
GTIWheels.PNG

Installed the ECS Rear Upper Stress bar after waiting what seemed like a lifetime for it to restock & ship - was like over 2 months. Makes a pretty small improvement, but still noticeable. Especially ontop of the wheels/tires I got.

Anyone on the fence about the Schwabben Oil Fluid Extractor needs to get it. Makes oil changes super fast/easy/clean - no more jacking up the car or needing to replace the oil drain plug washer.

Back on the winter wheels for the season, paint from last winter held up beautifully (stored outdoors - DIY on paint posted here)

Next up on the list is fixing the sagging headliner, passing inspection (always so much fun), and some other small odds and ends...

Last edited:

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunate turn of events....

Car was T-Boned decently hard about 2 weeks ago and had some pretty hefty damage to the rear driver side suspension.
20221017_171649 - Copy.jpg

20221020_125941 - Copy.jpg

20221020_125944 - Copy.jpg
20221020_130036 - Copy.jpg

While I was going through the process of getting quotes for repair and such - a co-worker offered me some money to buy it as-is for him to fix up himself and keep.

I then went and bought a 4door black GTI with about 50k less miles from my brother who barely uses it anymore
Here's a pic with my wheels swapped over

20221115_070052 - Copy.jpg

Will have to start working up a list of all the mods already done to it. Also already in the process of getting an Integrated Engineering tune, Southbend Stage 2 daily cluch, and unitronic intercooler. Should have it all done by new year.