GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Manual Tranny fluid type.

Billmcc1280

Hello all,

Recently had a new clutch and flywheel installed along with a fluid change. The shop that did the service said the 02q transmission called for DSG fluid. They looked perplexed as well but went ahead and did the change. during the break in period of 500 miles my issue only happened twice. Now after 700 miles it has gotten way worse. Took it back to the shop today and test drove it with them and only got it to happen once. Working in IT I see the irony in this.

The problem is with 1st gear. If I change from 1st to 2nd gear at around 10 or 15 mph it will hang in first. I literally have to force it out of gear and then it drops right in 2nd with no issues. This is very random. Clutch on the floor as well. No grinding coming out of 1st and all other gears shift flawlessly. The clutch appears to be releasing fully. Also if I shift at 20 or higher it always shifts fine.

The shop wants to change out the oil for G300 I believe they said. Thinking that the DSG fluid is incorrect and that the problem could be with the fluid.

What are your thoughts?

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
You don't put DSG fluid in a manual trans you will destroyed the gears. Manual fluid calles for 75W90. I use red line MT90 75w90 full synthetic oil and the shifting is very smooth.

Billmcc1280

This is listed on Motul website for my transmission. So dsg fluid is listed. Whether correct or not is another story.

TRANSAXLE, MANUAL 02Q 6/1

Capacity:Capacity 2,3 litre

Use:Normal
Intervals:Check 40000 miles/ 48 months
Products:MULTI DCTF (year-round)
:MOTYLGEAR 75W-80 (year-round)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cbenjes

Ready to race!
Maybe it's shops like this that caused ATE to stop distributing their Super Blue brake fluid in the U.S. Too many shops like the one in question could have mistaken it for windshield washer fluid. "Hey, it should work, it's blue and it doesn't freeze! Just mix it with some water!" :lol:

Billmcc1280

Maybe it's shops like this that caused ATE to stop distributing their Super Blue brake fluid in the U.S. Too many shops like the one in question could have mistaken it for windshield washer fluid. "Hey, it should work, it's blue and it doesn't freeze! Just mix it with some water!" :lol:
Actually they have been more than helpful. and I spoke of the perplexed look they gave about the dsg fluid before the installation. But Motul recommended either oil for that transmission so they followed. I am not blaming them for following Motul's guidelines.

As of now the fluid has been replaced with Redline MTL. Which I really like how it feels. Still have the same problem though. What we found was that sometimes I have a rev hang around 3000 rpm. It does not always do it but it does coincide with the first gear hang up. All we can guess at the moment is the combo of the rev hang and a brand new clutch is that the close tolerance may still be spinning the transmission ever so slightly. Enough to cause an issue with 1st gear but that's it.

Billmcc1280

Ok small update.

While downshifting into first and pulling into the bank today my problem stalled the car. Lots of traffic there and I depressed the clutch and it did not fully disengage.

Here is my thought process on the matter. Please chime in if you agree or disagree. I like input.

Since this happens randomly but random is getting closer together, I think the slave cylinder is not moving very fast. It does eventually let go and disengage the clutch. I happened to be idling along at the bank and it had no time to "correct itself" In other words I can stand on the clutch pedal but there is a delay in the clutch actually disengaging. if I run up to 20 or so mph in first gear and press the clutch the engine will actually brake the car for several thousand rpm before it lets go. Sometimes it hangs up like this and others it is flawless and you wouldn't think it had a problem at all. That is the most irritating part of this.

No leaking fluid. No air in lines. It has been bled multiple times now.

To cut down on oh it is a specific brand of clutch you bought being the problem I will refrain from the brand for now. Outside of this issue I love the clutch. Very grabby. It is a Stage 1 clutch with SMF.

The shop is scheduling me in to pull the slave cylinder and replace it to see if it helps. My kit came with a new slave.

Thanks!

mk007

My 2012 manual GTI is having that same problem. At times(low speed mostly), it would not disengage from 1st gear to shift into 2ndgear. My car is stock though and at 73k miles.

I was just thinking of changing the transmission oil to see if it solves the problem, but from your thread it may not seem that simple.

Keep us posted!

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
My 2012 manual GTI is having that same problem. At times(low speed mostly), it would not disengage from 1st gear to shift into 2ndgear. My car is stock though and at 73k miles.

I was just thinking of changing the transmission oil to see if it solves the problem, but from your thread it may not seem that simple.

Keep us posted!
In your case, I would do a shift linkage alignment and bleed the clutch. Doing this could eliminate your problems- if not, then there could be other issues such as a failing TOB or actual problem with the trans.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Ok small update.

While downshifting into first and pulling into the bank today my problem stalled the car. Lots of traffic there and I depressed the clutch and it did not fully disengage.

Here is my thought process on the matter. Please chime in if you agree or disagree. I like input.

Since this happens randomly but random is getting closer together, I think the slave cylinder is not moving very fast. It does eventually let go and disengage the clutch. I happened to be idling along at the bank and it had no time to "correct itself" In other words I can stand on the clutch pedal but there is a delay in the clutch actually disengaging. if I run up to 20 or so mph in first gear and press the clutch the engine will actually brake the car for several thousand rpm before it lets go. Sometimes it hangs up like this and others it is flawless and you wouldn't think it had a problem at all. That is the most irritating part of this.

No leaking fluid. No air in lines. It has been bled multiple times now.

To cut down on oh it is a specific brand of clutch you bought being the problem I will refrain from the brand for now. Outside of this issue I love the clutch. Very grabby. It is a Stage 1 clutch with SMF.

The shop is scheduling me in to pull the slave cylinder and replace it to see if it helps. My kit came with a new slave.

Thanks!
uber bump from the dead - this sounds like thrust bearing failure - was it?