GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 MK6 Golf Base 2.5 Manual

VDUB2012Golf2.5

Instrument cluster issues.
No tach, no speedometer, red flashing oil pressure light, and check engine light. And all the other lights , ABS , tire pressure etc.
Issue went away for two weeks , got back in the car today same issue and warnings. Took car to VW dealership they say I need a new instrument cluster $1800 and a new vacuum pump.
$1550.
This was their estimate.
Just want to know , my instrument cluster is working intermittently I guess. But I live at the coast in texas. With lots of salt air. And this instrument cluster issue has popped up every time we have a cold front . So I’m wandering if the terminals are dirty , or if it’s a fuse or whatever. Not to mechanically inclined, would love some advice on a cheap fix. I don’t have $2k for a new instrument cluster, especially since it’s working when it wants too, lol.
Please help if you can.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Last evening we got "freeked out" with a similar experience, the dash lights blanked out off and on and a few warning lights flashed on, after what seemd like a long time the dash went back to normal.

I though back to what was the last thing we were doing and realized that just before the incident i had tried to turn on the wipers. Ice froze the wipers to the glass and they were both stuck solid, this stalled the wiper motor and prolly caused a massive power draw. I freed them up with a snow brush and everything was back to normal.

I wouldn't fork over anything $$$ before doing some basic cleaning the battery terminals and chassis ground points. Try getting a electronic copy of the MK6 Golf Manual, there is a section that illustrates the ground points.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Make sure all of the fuses are fully seated, remove and inspect any that are for the instrument cluster looking closely for rust/corrosion on the fuse and the fuse box. Pulling the cluster isn't tough, and you can inspect the connectors closely, and if you remove a few more screws you can take a look at the circuit board for corrosion. It's easy to replace yourself too, if you can find one reasonably priced.

SliMbo2.5

Ready to race!
I have not had any of the cluster issues as mentioned but I would agree with the other folks about checking fuses, connections and grounds. The vacuum pump is known to leak but not hard to replace. I personally went with the Spulen vacuum pump delete kit and have not had any issues. Much cheaper than replacing the pump everytime it leaks.