GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Startup Rattle Updated Tensioner

GTI_12

Hi all,

I have done a lot of research on the timing chain / tensioner issue since getting my '12 GTI in 2017. The car currently has 68K miles on it and is in great shape. I perform 3-5K oil changes and keep up on all maintenance.

Since I bought the car there has been intermittent rattle at startup, which seems like it has gotten more frequent. Sometimes it will rattle for ~ 1 second on cold start in the mornings, other times after sitting a few hours after driving. It never does when it is warmed up.

Where it gets weird is that I have confirmed that it has the updated tensioner and that the new tensioner is not overly extended. I also have had it in to my local german specialty shop which has a great reputation, and they feel like everything is in spec.

I purchased an OBDeleven and measured block 93 when warmed up and the lowest reading I have seen is -1.14, the highest -1.32, which was after a day of multiple short drives throughout the day.

I am wondering if you all have any thoughts on what I should do here? Am I wrong that the block 93 readings indicate that there is very little chain stretch? Again the tensioner is updated, doesn't appear to be over extended, and block 93 is reading pretty low... I don't want to needlessly spend ~$1-1.5K on having a shop replace the tensioner, chain, etc. needlessly, but I also don't want to keep worrying about this startup rattle...

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
I also have an updated tensioner in my 2013 CC that sits at about -1.13* in OBDeleven. I also get a rattle, but only after driving the car and letting it sit for several hours in the summer.

GTI_12

I guess it would be good to know if anyone has had the timing skip with a new revision tensioner, and / or with a block 93 reading less than +/- 4.0 degrees?