GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 GTI Help with exhaust image - A used car dealer trying to get one over.

gags730

Sorry this is long. Wife wants this car I dont unless it can go back to no faults or even OEM ... Anyways .... I was looking at a 2013 GTI. I saw this car for sale and given the price and mileage we thought we would check it out. Always too good to be true...
The wifey went there on Thursday, it was late and it was getting dark and she said the car looked great but it had an accident at 10K miles in 2014. No problem... has 60K now
She liked the car and wants me to check it... The repair was fine at 10K body work was like a 4.5 outta 5.

Now I get there yesterday and I start the Car.... Here is what I notice...
1) The Fans keep revving up and down so they rev up for around 5 seconds and then back down to off. Started soon as I started car and stayed that way.
2) I can hear the exhaust sounds different... after a few mins I can even smell it. The exhaust tips are black (dual tips) like it was rolling coal but is not a diesel.
3) Check engine light comes on after 5 mins! It was not on the night before either.
So I hookup a scanner I pull 5 Engine codes and no others of note.

P0420 - Catalyst System,Bank1 Efficiency Below Threshold
P1945 - Coolant Fan Control (FC) Module 1: Fan Activation Short Circuit
P1950 - Coolant Fan for Coolant : difficulty of movement / blocked
P2095 - Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System (Bank 1) Too Lean
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I can not get under the car at this lot. Im 50 and flabby! LOL What I do notice is a drip from the drain plug (no big deal). Engine cover is missing. I think he had a Cold Air Intake the car is very clean so can't understand why that would be gone for no reason. Someone pressure washed the engine I can tell, and if I look down on the Front Right (passenger) headlight and down to the bottom cover under the pulleys, I can see a lot of old crud/oil buildup on the skid plate cover. Basically its at the passenger side of engine and straight down. So I mention to this salesman... everything I see and when I tell him about the codes he goes yeah they are all Emission codes. So the dude is aware of it but never told the wife or me... Cmon like that many codes won't come back? Like it needs to Pass Emissions in NJ..WTF?

I think , heck I know! He must of cleared the engine codes because the CEL was Off originally and was playing stupid.
He now says he just got the car in a week ago and didn't bring to the mechanic yet. Car was only on lot for a week cause I pass it all the time, he told 1 truth. So I said to him okay then bring it to your mechanic and when you are there send me images of underneath. (Had to leave had an appt) I know the exhaust is modified, I can smell the exhaust and I see oil crud from the top and I can see part of the wire of an O2 sensor hanging out.

If I am correct From the front exhaust, we have the 1st Cat. Converter and then the flex pipe and then the 2nd Cat. Converter with O2 sensors (up and down of the 2nd Cat.) that whole pie is changed out.

The Flex part is gone and so is the 2nd Catalytic Converter unless I am wrong he keeps telling me the Cat is not deleted and that Straight pipe has been increased in diameter. Look at the images. I'm a diesel man so this gas VW is new to me...

FINALLY THE QUESTIONS!!!!
What will it cost to make this thing pass NJ emissions where they scan the OBD2 to pass?
Have these modifications screwed up the car? I don't feel too happy with someone driving a car with all these codes for a while, maybe two years....
Is this one of those mods I will never get the codes to stay off and does this have a huge effect on the engine, what about DSG etc...
I apologize worried is all... Like do you need to go OEM with the Cat Back all new sensors and even then it can be a nightmare I dont want. I have one wife I dont wanna marry this car if its going to be a POS

It has low mileage (60K). This car is for the wife I just want 'factory' and for it to be a reliable car. Very worried about this car it has the DSG transmission and I'm not sure
how it will hold up if this guy was beating on the car. .Prev owner had it for 2 years and 24K miles. I wish I knew the history of what he did or it could have been prior to him.

See Images I dont see a second CAT Conv. and the one image is like stretchy sorry it what was sent to me....

My previous car was a VW Diesel it was a 2012 Jetta TDI premium with a DSG and it only had 50K miles and a girl with a driving permit totaled the car ... was bad... the wife got flipped did a 540 in it! and she wants another VW but the prices are too high and so are the miles for used cars right now....

---------------------
PipeImagesDealerSent.jpg

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
the first image is skewed a bit right? That's definitely not showing everything in proper proportions so the arrow is pointing to what looks like a cat and it's probably longer than you are seeing it here. Almost looks like a CBFA APR pipe, but I doubt it. CBFA downpipes will have 3 O2 sensor bungs, one off the exhaust manifold (upstream), and two on the straight (downstream), one post cat and one pre cat. So that covers image 1.

Image two, I don't see a second cat, and I doubt there's one but anything is possible. You'd just have to remove the downpipe and find out from there. The images aren't too great so we're not going to get a full story here due to the view/skew.

Your codes:
P0420 - very common with people who run aftermarket downpipes and aren't tuned for them. Likely the tune was flashed off, or put into stock mode.
P2095 - I'm seeing this code as a camshaft actuator code, are you sure you pulled this right? P2096 is an exhaust code, which would coincide with not being tuned for the aftermarket downpipe or having an exhaust leak. P0171 would be a bank 1 fuel trim lean code, and would pertain to bad MAF or intake leak.
P2196 - same as above. Common code when dealing with vehicles not tuned for downpipes, exhaust leaks, but may also be a faulty O2 sensor either upstream or downstream.

Your radiator fan codes may be leftover from the accident, or could be that they didn't assemble everything correctly, but that feels like a long time to have waited to clear those codes.

My recommendation would be to steer clear of this car, plenty of stock MK6 GTIs out there unmolested, or molested only slightly. Your wife doesn't need this exact one unless she plans to build it. That said, if you simply MUST have this one. Clear the codes and rescan. Sometimes a code will be cleared but remain as a soft code in the ECU and must be cleared individually (at least this is the case with VCDS so you may need to have VW dealer clear them). They will pull up on a scan, but not trigger a CEL or clear on their own. After clearing, you can see which codes pop back up. Double check that both fans are operating too by taking it for a spirited test drive. You can also check the fan fuses and try to free spin them with your fingers with the car off (obviously).

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Pretty much with Focal point said:

This car is not worth it if you want to turn it back to stock or get it to pass emissions without doing a lot of work.

Its going to be a headache to get to pass emissions because you're going to need to figure out a way to clear those emissions codes. You're going to need to replace the entire downpipe with a OEM one because its aftermarket, or figure out a way to get it to pass with o2 spacers. Since it looks like its a CBFA engine with extra o2 sensors they are extremely finnicky to trick with o2 spacers and will pop P2096, 2095 & P0420 if the spacers aren't perfect and some people have no luck at all getting them to clear without an ecu tune. There are aftermarket ecu tunes that will hide those codes but idk about NJs laws on emissions testing with ecu tunes. If they are like California you'll fail automatically just for having o2 spacers or modified downpipe during the visual inspection. If you have an ecu tune you'll fail for disabled emissions readiness codes when it gets scanned.

As far as your fan codes...I've seen on a number of occasions with these engines where faulty ecu will cause a bunch of fan codes to pop and cause them to run erratically either due to a burned circuit board or water damage.

Then you have a bunch of oil leaks likely out of the timing covers based on what you described. A lot of younger people mod these cars and abuse them and let issues linger and you end up with cars like this.

Just steer clear and get different GTI its not worth it

gags730

FocalPoint and BudgetPhoenix,

Thank you very much for a quick reply and detailed one also... Not used to kindness and knowledge so damn fast! ....Nice ! Seriously .. Thanks. This dealer wont stop... I have never seen anything like this... I'm not sure if it's the wife or him or both. I just read your guys' posts to her, not kidding and she still don't get it. I feel like I'm talking physics to a 7 yr old. Im like this is NOT a good idea for a daily driver! She thinks its like an appliance and we got a new dryer vent! Like WTF? I dunno how to spell it out.

The problem I have is the Jetta TDI that we had before it was totaled 2 weeks ago was an amazing and beautiful car. I spent a lot of time upgrading everything in the car and I did it just to show her things you can do cause she loved the car. I have always been into car stereo stuff and interiors in general. I like to say I like a rolling Living room. Hitting 50 didn't stop me, it made me worse haha! From a rearview monitor, cameras, head unit, speakers, amps, 10s in the trunk, Headrest monitors and all custom lighting done with really nice switches that look factory plus the FOBs for remote action (I run everything thru power distribution blocks and Relays and some stuff is remote and button switched) Heck I even put in upgraded USB C charging ... that shit is Gone Now! GONE! I basically made a 2012 a 2022 but better! My wife never liked cars until this VW... It's hard for people to get what I'm talking about but I'm sure many in this place understand it.

Now I have a MONSTER. My VW Kraken!

REPLY PORTION sorry this was my therapy! i
--------------- Ok Dealer is Still trying to sell car, Wife has lost her mind! -------------
So About the exhaust... YES it seems there is some spacers in there or something. Got that info from the wife who spoke to this guy again. I have no idea about 'Petrol' VWs as the ones I had were all diesel..all of em. So when I say Thank You I really mean it. Like you guys are saving my ass here. More than that my checkbook and future headaches.

Now the guy has a FULL exhaust that is used. He wants to throw that in if I will buy the car? Really im not getting that... It is not computing.

Why is this guy so intent on selling this car?
He only sent me 3 images and that one was skewed. I will post the other image he sent. Now I asked about the oil leak and I told him about the drain plug as I could reach it with a glove and I showed him the crud on the right side. I told him the power washed this and that down there... well they missed. Then that whole check engine crap and he never mentioned the fans. I don't want the car the wife wants it. Told her this will be one of the worst choices of her life.
Main concern is I need a mechanic to look at it. I need to see what pops up after a highway run for a bit and to get it on a lift not just get 3 images. That was BS and not where the oil was out. The wife sees no red flags... amazing how she lost all logic! To be honest I dont want it and I dont want to waste my time. Like I have never seen the wife so set on a car that she is not even listening... There are more cars... I dunno Compulsive Shopper mode or something crazy... Starting to get pissed now...

How bad can you screw up a car running with all these Faults for over a year or two?
That has to screw something up....
Im worried about the oil on the right side.
The fan thing is strange as hell...
The rest is emissions and I don't feel comfortable with a DSG trans if some guy was beating the hell out of it and not getting it serviced either. I haven't seen anything with the DSG service and I did mine 3x and had 58K on the car. Hey thanks for a dipstick VW would like to check the DSG fluid on my own on a rock driveway.
I worry about expensive stuff breaking and this is not a daily commuter car for her even though she does low miles. I belive 100% it is the wrong car and this thing has been molested just like you guys stated. She needs reliability, I'm a guy I can care less. I am not working on cars anymore, I will work in them, not on them... its a young mans game and with all the stuff u need like Vagcom and even then the dealer its not fun for me anymore.

Thanks... Here was the 'GREAT' Image for the oil leak... sends 3 whole images ... still pissed Oh wait actually 4 images wife never sent e the other
Here it is Thanks..............

------------------------
Images
OilLeaksJettaDealerPics.jpg

Attachments

• OilLeaksJettaDealerPics.jpg
    OilLeaksJettaDealerPics.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 53

gags730

H ey Here was the Crash that totaled our 2012 Jetta TDI Premium . All that mattered is that my wife walked out of this. The car flipped, she got hit head on almost by a 17 yr old still on this 'Probationary' license where you can't drive after 11 pm or have anyone under 21 in the car. Yeah, 17 yr old driver and 3 males 18,17, and 16 past 11 pm. I have a video and what pissed me off with that was a few days earlier I had a bad SD card so I put in a smaller one and ordered another and I dropped the quality because it was a small card. Like how does that happen?

----------------
AA crop Car Good.jpg
Car Image 6.jpg
Car Image 3.jpg
Car Image 5.jpg

DEAR JETTA TDI YOU WILL BE MISSED!

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
If your wife is looking for reliability, I would say a 10 year old turbo VW with a history of being throttled doesn't feel like a solid choice. My 2011 GTI has only 60k miles on it and it has been through the ringer. I don't track or race it nearly as much as some do, and I've had a full engine/transmission replacement due to faulty mechatronics unit on the DSG and a slipped rod bearing due to oil consumption. Water pump went and was replaced, cam girdle seal was redone but is now due again. Throttle body has been replaced twice already and another one is likely bound to happen soon. My OEM suspension that came off at 2k miles and went back on at 48k miles on stock springs failed and was replaced. Engine and trans mounts are due for replacement, Control arm bushings are due. and that's just shit I've run into in the last 4-ish years and doesn't count the number of soft peel and headliner/cloth interior failures, fuel sending unit, fueling control module, countless coil packs. Etc.

It can be a fun car under warranty or if you like to get your hands dirty a few times a month. I would highly suggest a newer MK7.5 GTI without years of obvious neglect/abuse and perhaps less than 2 owners.

From what I can see on your images here. Looks like dude bottomed out on something green, or that's some sort of sealant kick up. Could also be spray paint from a junkyard where they sourced the oil pan after the rebuild too I guess. Either way, I don't like it. The drain plug looks like the $1.50 piece of shit from autozone and the crush washers never seal properly on those. That could be the cause of the leak from the plug. The one you mentioned over to the right side of the car looks like it's coming either from the turbo, or further up by the intake or rear cam girdle/timing chain housing. If the synch clamps are loose on the intake, I could see it leaking down onto that part of the pan. Only way to tell is to get under it and start checking for the source. Honestly, if the wife is gonna be this persistent, let her know she's gonna be going to the mechanic on her own with her own money or looking up Youtube videos on how to service and repair issues on this car. I know it's a dick position to have to take, but when the ladyfolk don't listen, sometimes they need to learn the hard way.

PS: A desperate seller is never a good thing.

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Don't walk away from that deal - RUN FAST.

gags730

Hey everyone thanks for the replies... Been really really busy. Ever have one of those months that is just insane, legendary in a bad way ..hahaha That was the last month.
Anyway GREAT NEWS I found a 2011 Jetta from a personal buyer. It has 90K But is in excellent condition. Been busy with that trying to get it to the way I had the 2012 TDI inside and out. So Far So Good!