GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2013 Radiator/Sensor Replacement?

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
This dealership is crazy high priced for sure. I had my drivers side mirror damaged a few weeks ago, since it’s parked on the street at home. It’s held together now with tape, etc.

So I asked for a price on a new mirror. They come back with $1,500 for parts and labor. They are loco! I said, naaah, since a new mirror should cost $650 tops. How long does it take to attach it? Told them that’s a ripoff for the mirror.

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
I know…they’re crazy…so they must be ripping me large for this sensor work as well.

It’s a bit complicated, but I have a rental car and will drive down to them now. This is in the Ashville, NC area. I’ve already made an appointment with another local shop. I have to drive down. Park the rental somewhere close to the dealer, and get a Lyft cab to the stealer shop. Fetch the my VW, and gingerly drive it to the other shop. Then take a Lyft cab back to wherever I’ve parked my car.

Such is life…but it can be far worse than this. Will keep u informed. Thanks to this forum !

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Good plan. I am sure you will save a TON of money. Especially if you are just buying the sensor @ and 1-2 hours labor, should be 1/2 the cost of dealer even including the rental car and diag fee.

That is why they call them...stealerships

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Wild times down here. Decided to let the dealership do the work. Went yesterday to pick it up. Paid, but had turned engine off to use facilities. They had given me car running.

Get in, and battery’s dead. Buy a new battery for $275, get rolling again. On highway for a few minutes, and I hear the “beep, beep, beep”, look down, and the temp gauge is blinking, with the needle at 250• !

Call them back, tow comes (they paid), and car is back in the shop.

Only difference on this one is, the engine light did NOT go while it was overheating.

They gave me a new SUV loaner car.

Place has a very good reputation, I checked. After the fact, spoke to a guy who was closing up there, and he explained why the mirror work (not getting that done yet, have that all taped up, but it looks like crap).

Man said the prices are going through the room for parts! Also, he’s driving a MK VII Gti, but said there’s no chance you can buy a new GTI anywhere in the country. Certainly not anywhere nearby.

He said VW concentrating on E-vehicles now. Only hope for a GTI is a used one.

Anyway, driving a new SUV around, and waiting for them to look at it tomorrow.

Anyone out there have some sort of a bearing on why the Engine Light didn’t come on, yet had the same drastic overheating problem???

I guess everything is some sort of a sensor issue these days.

Thanks in advance!

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Just found out…the cooling fans didn’t come on…cost to replace $1,240 plus tax….I have an appointment for another shop from 5 days ago.

Anyone can tell me what team new fans installed ‘13 gti ? Thanks in advance

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Just found out…the cooling fans didn’t come on…cost to replace $1,240 plus tax….I have an appointment for another shop from 5 days ago.

Anyone can tell me what team new fans installed ‘13 gti ? Thanks in advance

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
They certainly didn’t drive car around after the first repair. All shops do that, and especially since it’s an overheating issue.

I’m surprised at vw on this

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
So how is the car doing? The $1,240 is not in addition to the radiator repair is it?
My guess is it is a sensor, I am sure it has happened but I have never heard and it is not common for the fans to just go out.

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
Hi Troy,

Just wrapped this up with dealer yesterday, and they did the right thing here. They didn’t charge me anything for any of the work done. This turned out to be a very complicated thing even for them to fix.

I can post their documentation on it a bit later. But I pick it up tomorrow, and I’ll be in my merry way.

THANKS for the help !

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Which part was complicated? I hope not the radiator as it is not that hard. Glad to hear you came out ahead on this one! Now put on your big boy pants and be ready to start working on GTI;)