GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 battery issue

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
to clarify they would hook up the device while I crank the engine (after the battery is fully maintained), is that what you meant?
Yes. It's just called a "load test". That puts a load on the battery the same as when you start the car and will show if it has a bad cell or can't take a load. I had a battery that showed 12.6 volts like it should but when the engine was cranked to turn on it didn't have enough juice left because of a dead cell.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
no once it started it didnt shutoff.
Im asking if you have the auto start/stop feature on your car. not if your car shut off from the battery dying. and not the keyless push to start button

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Not my GTI but during 2020 when things were shut down, I had to put the charger on my Jeep battery once a week because it was always dead from not being used for several weeks on end.
Now it is being driven regularly and is fine with the same battery. I think what you are experiencing is normal. Good luck.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
thanks... I finally got my andriod tablet working again and dig up my OBDEleven stuff. Hooked up to the car. Checked battery adaptation - it was picked 60ah and "Wet" battery - i believe thats stock battery setting so it has never been re-coded/adapted for any of my last 2 batteries.

I acutally have a H6-AGM battery. I changed the serial number (as indicated by others to tell the car the battery is new or fully charged), going to see if that makes a diff before looking at replacing the battery.

There is also a voltage check option from the app which i plan to try out, dont wanna kill the battery by spending too much time in the app with just the ignition on.
Thinking about doing all that with engine running... thoughts?

Last edited:

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
thanks... I finally got my andriod tablet working again and dig up my OBDEleven stuff. Hooked up to the car. Checked battery adaptation - it was picked 60ah and "Wet" battery - i believe thats stock battery setting so it has never been re-coded/adapted for any of my last 2 batteries.

I acutally have a H6-AGM battery. I changed the serial number (as indicated by others to tell the car the battery is new or fully charged), going to see if that makes a diff before looking at replacing the battery.

There is also a voltage check option from the app which i plan to try out, dont wanna kill the battery by spending too much time in the app with just the ignition on.
Thinking about doing all that with engine running... thoughts?
You'll have killed your battery by not adapting the system correctly.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
So here is the results from OBDEleven

Engine not running: 11.9-12.1 V when fully maintained overnight- which is too low right?
Engine running: 13.6x constantly

Think the battery is on its last leg.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So here is the results from OBDEleven

Engine not running: 11.9-12.1 V when fully maintained overnight- which is too low right?
Engine running: 13.6x constantly

Think the battery is on its last leg.
Right. Battery should be about 12.7 volts.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
hmmm thinking if I should keep going to back H5/6 AGM, or go back to stock level battery since I am most likely only keeping the car for another 2 years or so
suggestions?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
hmmm thinking if I should keep going to back H5/6 AGM, or go back to stock level battery since I am most likely only keeping the car for another 2 years or so
suggestions?
You won't have a problem if you actually perform the correct adaptation...

Your charging system has been using the wrong charge profile. That's bound to reduce the lifespan of the battery, especially an AGM battery which is incredibly sensitive to charge.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
You won't have a problem if you actually perform the correct adaptation...

Your charging system has been using the wrong charge profile. That's bound to reduce the lifespan of the battery, especially an AGM battery which is incredibly sensitive to charge.
Yeah I know what u mean, but moving on to new battery is my next move unless you think my battery can still be saved....

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
downsize to a H5 from H6 - noticably lighter :D put "Binary-AGM" and changed serial number, left capacity at 60ah via Obd11.
will monitor to see any battery issues pop up - hope for the best.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
downsize to a H5 from H6 - noticably lighter :D put "Binary-AGM" and changed serial number, left capacity at 60ah via Obd11.
will monitor to see any battery issues pop up - hope for the best.
Unless someone has auto stsrt/stop and use it. They will want to stay with the stock battery size.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Isn't the programming only required if you have the "smart" connection on the negative terminal? That's what my dealer told me, but I haven't confirmed. It's been a few months since I changed from my stock battery to an AGM, but I'll still probably update it, just haven't been in a hurry because I don't have the smart bit.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Isn't the programming only required if you have the "smart" connection on the negative terminal? That's what my dealer told me, but I haven't confirmed. It's been a few months since I changed from my stock battery to an AGM, but I'll still probably update it, just haven't been in a hurry because I don't have the smart bit.
i would update it - since my old AGM died in 2 years