GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
A guy last night I was talking to about the sti has an 09 and told me his has 68k miles and it's using oil badly to the point it needs an engine rebuild. Not heavily modified either. So he is parking it. I won't own one just because of that.

Probably a cracked ringland. Fragile pistons have been an issue for STI's, particularly 07 and onward. The EJ257 cannot take much detonation. Once the ringland cracks, you'll see smoke on startup and a lot of oil consumption.

This is one of the reasons why I won't get back into an STI until they take out the EJ257 and put in an FA20T variant.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
My co-worker is having problems with her new WRX with 2k miles on it. Takes multiple tries to start up when cold. They gave her a loaner for a few days and are telling her it will likely need a new tune to fix the issue but that's months away. Apparently a few people have had this problem from what she's been told.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I tracked 4 Evo's 2 of which were modified pretty decent and pushing 420whp on E85 (on the Evo 9's). My Last Evo 9 MR I had for 5 yrs. 2 weeks after I bought it the tuning began. I was running E85 made 420 whp, on WMI made 380WHP with 70/30 mix, and made 340 on Pump 91.

2006 EVO Pics
[/URL][/IMG]

Upgrading Cams, valve springs, retainers.
[/URL][/IMG]

Pulling 420WHP on E85
[/URL][/IMG]

I ran Redline 5w30 in this tuned car on ALL kinds of Fuels, and Boost Levels all while on the STOCK turbo.

Never in the 65,000 miles I put on it, which many of those miles were on a track at least 2-4 times a month did I have to add ANY OIL.

I did change the Oil Every 3-5K miles, depending on my Oil Analysis revealed. On Average Every 3500-4000 miles.

Subies, especially tuned ones, every one I knew at the track always used about a quart every track day and that is while using Shell Rotella T6!!

As with any car just be very careful with your mods, and if you dont know what your doing, have someone do it for you that does.

I respect the WRX and STI, but will never buy one.

These pics are bringing up some good Memories. That Evo was a HELL of a Car!! Regret selling her every frickin day.

Jeff

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I tracked 4 Evo's 2 of which were modified pretty decent and pushing 420whp on E85 (on the Evo 9's). My Last Evo 9 MR I had for 5 yrs. 2 weeks after I bought it the tuning began. I was running E85 made 420 whp, on WMI made 380WHP with 70/30 mix, and made 340 on Pump 91.

2006 EVO Pics
[/URL][/IMG]

Upgrading Cams, valve springs, retainers.
[/URL][/IMG]

Pulling 420WHP on E85
[/URL][/IMG]

I ran Redline 5w30 in this tuned car on ALL kinds of Fuels, and Boost Levels all while on the STOCK turbo.

Never in the 65,000 miles I put on it, which many of those miles were on a track at least 2-4 times a month did I have to add ANY OIL.

I did change the Oil Every 3-5K miles, depending on my Oil Analysis revealed. On Average Every 3500-4000 miles.

Subies, especially tuned ones, every one I knew at the track always used about a quart every track day and that is while using Shell Rotella T6!!

As with any car just be very careful with your mods, and if you dont know what your doing, have someone do it for you that does.

I respect the WRX and STI, but will never buy one.

These pics are bringing up some good Memories. That Evo was a HELL of a Car!! Regret selling her every frickin day.

Jeff

:word:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
STi arrives - Prepping for shipping now

Looks good! Dealer is doing a final inspection and doing a full 4 wheel alignment(checking it) etc - free of charge, very kind! Im very impressed with this dealer. Subaru of Jacksonville for the WIN! Should arrive in mid Feb.

Attachments

• 15 Sti arrives FL 1.jpg
    15 Sti arrives FL 1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 15 STi arrives FL 2.jpg
    15 STi arrives FL 2.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 248
  • STi at dealer.JPG
    STi at dealer.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Very nice, I like the Rally Blue. Are you trading the GTI for this? or keeping the GTI and having the STI?

My neighbor has the same looking one. Only thing I hear him complain about is gas. Gets like 15mpg on average going to work and back, other than that he loves it.

They are great cars, I just couldn't pull the trigger on one. When you get yours send us more pics :thumbsup:

Jeff

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Very nice, I like the Rally Blue. Are you trading the GTI for this? or keeping the GTI and having the STI?

My neighbor has the same looking one. Only thing I hear him complain about is gas. Gets like 15mpg on average going to work and back, other than that he loves it.

They are great cars, I just couldn't pull the trigger on one. When you get yours send us more pics :thumbsup:

Jeff

Jeff Sold my 12 GTi. It went rather quickly! Looking forward to this machine. Never had a Subaru of the fun sort like an STi. Thanks and I will post up initial impressions post arrival! :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Curious why would you ship the STI to germany? It can't possibly be cheaper can it?

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
It can be quite expensive making a car legal for the German roads.
A coworker spent close to 8,000 by shipping his GTI over and getting the necessary parts to make it legal. Keep in mind that his GTI originally came from Germany. Unless there is something that excludes you from bringing the car to European standards, it's just not worth it.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
You will like the STI. I had 4 Evos in the past An 8 2 9's and a X before the GTI. I went through that "Phase" haha. Its something every car guy needs to have is an STI or an Evo at least once.

I found though, after owning those cars an appreciation for the GTI. Though The STI and Evo I feel will be more reliable over lets say 10 yr span than a German car haha the GTI has 8/10ths the fun factor for far less money over that said time.

Reasons I loved my Evo's:

1. I had 425whp as a DD for almost 5 yrs not one problem.

2. Fast, Reliable, and practical (4 dr)

3. Steering feel, Brake Feel, Handling right out of the box is just awesome.

4. Did I mention RELIABLE???

there are many other reasons but Im keeping this short

Reasons I hated the car at the same time?

1. 12 mpg's on E85 to get that 425whp ='s about 120 miles on a tank of gas. About 200 max on pump 91 making 340whp.

2. Cop MAGNET. I was pulled over so many times I knew the cops by first name. Not that I was doing anything wrong either. It would go down like this after I got pulled over. Cop-"Yeah, good morning, we have had complaints of people street racing in the area and your car meets one of the descriptions...." Yeah fun. Though it wasn't me they always thought it was.

3. Insurance premiums are terrible. I paid $50 a month more just in insurance vs. the GTI.

4. Versatility. The Evo you couldn't even fold down the rear seat, so all you had was the trunk, the Evo 8/9's had a good size trunk, the X trunk was a joke to say the least.

5. Maintenance. I tracked my Evo's and spent on some months $1000 a minth for brake pads and or tires. Not including oil changes etc. So if you track your car, have a separate "Fund" just for brake pads, brake fluid and tires. The OEM tires are good for about 7500 miles or so if you track the car.

6. Drew the wrong type of crowd. Though many people would look and love the car, I hated people in S2000's and other cars getting right on my ass and wanting to run, or on the freeway next to me going "Honk Honk Honk" and wanting to take off. :iono: That gets OLD REAL FAST.

7. Between gas, insurance and car payment I am saving about $400 a month with the GTI. This DOES NOT include maintenance.

All and all I kept an Evo from 2003 to 2012 in my garage. I miss them at times, and enjoyed the "Good TImes" but also dont miss the "Bad Times" if you have never owned an STI or an Evo, its an "Experience" to say the least. I had allot of fun, and wasted ALLOT OF MONEY haha, but in the end, it was something a car guy just has to do :thumbsup:

You will enjoy the STI. For me? I couldn't pull the trigger because well I guess Im "Over it". Been there, done that. Now its your turn to enjoy that beautiful Rally Blue STI on the Ring' there in Germany. All I can say is I envy you :happyanim:

Enjoy my Friend :thumbsup:

Jeff