GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
WRX/STI both have ring issues and that engine has other issues. I doubt it will be as reliable as the GTI. Just a word of warning.

uh....what?

the new wrx does not have ringland issues.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. If all you know is the old car, then don't comment on the new one as if it was the same car, because there are a lot of big differences and it makes things confusing.

I also love how people keep bashing the looks, as if the gti was an attractive car. I know this is a gti forum, but trust me, the gti is no aston martin. Personally, I like the aggressive look of my wrx much more than I liked the looks of my gti when I had it. The only thing saving the GTI was its wheels. But that's my opinion (and thankfully the only one that matters to me), and you are free to feel however you like, but don't act like it's all-or-nothing.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
uh....what?

Lots of misinformation in this thread. If all you know is the old car, then don't comment on the new one as if it was the same car, because there are a lot of big differences and it makes things confusing.

I also love how people keep bashing the looks, as if the gti was an attractive car. I know this is a gti forum, but trust me, the gti is no aston martin. Personally, I like the aggressive look of my wrx much more than I liked the looks of my gti when I had it. The only thing saving the GTI was its wheels. But that's my opinion (and thankfully the only one that matters to me), and you are free to feel however you like, but don't act like it's all-or-nothing.

+1 -juvenile response's here to what people like in a car is useless.

Nice BBC review here of the STI -- http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20141202-most-fascinating-sports-car-of-2014-subaru-wrx-sti

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
uh....what?

GTI looks like aston martin? :laugh: Gti is meant to be a "performance" car without the "look at me, I'm fast and ill kick your ass look". Subaru screams boy racer, GTI = innocent, classy girl that can be fun from time to time. Subaru = naughty, always down to get dirty in terms of looks

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
My wife says that my GTI looks like a suppository. Then again, as a prior Honda owner, I hate driving the same car that everyone else also owns. It makes it hard to find my car in a crowded parking lot!

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
GTI looks like aston martin? :laugh: Gti is meant to be a "performance" car without the "look at me, I'm fast and ill kick your ass look". Subaru screams boy racer, GTI = innocent, classy girl that can be fun from time to time. Subaru = naughty, always down to get dirty in terms of looks

Agreed.

vrBilstein86

Ready to race!
uh....what?

May I ask how the switch was in regards to the interior?

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
So I went by and test drove a 2015 WRX today and thought I'd give my comparison between it and the GTI. First, a few caveats:
(1) It only had 5 miles on it so I didn't want to rag on it. So only reved to 4k most of the time, 5k once.
(2) There's the theory that engines "loosen up" and get better after break-in. So take that into account if you believe in that.
(3) Finally, I had a salesman with me so I didn't go sliding through any corners but I did have fun with it.

My best impression: steering and handling. Subaru REALLY improved this over the previous models. Job well done. I'd say turn-in and balance is very similar to the GTI; a little understeer when pushed hard, but that could likely be tuned out with a bigger rear sway like my GTI now has.

My biggest disappointment: power. Now granted, I'm spoiled by a Stage 1 GTI. But comparing stock GTI to stock WRX: they are nearly identical. And that makes sense. Once you calculate the extra weight of the WRX, plus the larger drivetrain loss due to AWD (roughly 20%), then the power to weight ratios are very close. Of course the WRX has a faster 0-60 due to AWD launch, but on the highway it didn't feel like it could get out of its own way in 5th gear at 70mph.

But say you tune both. GTI gets an APR OTS tune, WRX gets a Cobb OTS tune. The GTI benefits more % wise, giving it the edge in power to weight ratio. At least that's what the numbers say, since I haven't driven a tuned WRX! Comeback there is you can get a custom tune from tons of people to go with the Cobb access port and bump up to 330hp, possibly. AND you can remove the tune, if you're just stage 1, and it should be undetectable.

Ride. OK, most of us don't care about that, but in the little I drove the WRX...it was definitely firm, with a kind of thud when you hit rough pavement seams, but it didn't seem to bounce as much as the short wheelbase GTI. Again, didn't drive it far enough to be sure.

Design and fit: the little triangle window for the front windows was distracting and didn't look like a great thought/design. But the WRX looks more aggressive where the GTI is bland. The interior was fine, better than the old, not spectacular but not an issue either. The very shiny plastic/chrome around the HVAC controls was absolutely hideous. I'd have to plastidip them or something (as much as I hate plastidip). Faux carbon fiber is cheesy but not something that bothers me. Even though it might get a treatment too, haha. I'd probably add a boost gauge in line of sight, the digital one in the center display was too far out of the way (then again, I might get used to it).

Exhaust and engine noise was actually nice. Not the same as the old WRX, but still uniquely boxer and not 'honda' sounding.

Final notes: 2 things the WRX has over the GTI is (1) supposed reliability and (2) AWD grip. The AWD grip makes a big difference for taking off while turning (FWD sucks at that) and putting power down coming out of turns. And really, controlling the car with the gas pedal. I can't consider a FWD car a sports car since you can't modulate the car's balance like you can with AWD or RWD.

All in all, I didn't walk away thinking, "I've got to have that car!" Sure, it would be a good replacement for the GTI, in a different way. And I love my subies.

P.S. After having the soft/smooth shifter of the GTI so long, I understand all those reviews that say it's like shifting a tractor - it actually is! And the clutch is stiffer. Both things I like.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
So I went by and test drove a 2015 WRX today and thought I'd give my comparison between it and the GTI. First, a few caveats:
(1) It only had 5 miles on it so I didn't want to rag on it. So only reved to 4k most of the time, 5k once.
(2) There's the theory that engines "loosen up" and get better after break-in. So take that into account if you believe in that.
(3) Finally, I had a salesman with me so I didn't go sliding through any corners but I did have fun with it.

My best impression: steering and handling. Subaru REALLY improved this over the previous models. Job well done. I'd say turn-in and balance is very similar to the GTI; a little understeer when pushed hard, but that could likely be tuned out with a bigger rear sway like my GTI now has.

My biggest disappointment: power. Now granted, I'm spoiled by a Stage 1 GTI. But comparing stock GTI to stock WRX: they are nearly identical. And that makes sense. Once you calculate the extra weight of the WRX, plus the larger drivetrain loss due to AWD (roughly 20%), then the power to weight ratios are very close. Of course the WRX has a faster 0-60 due to AWD launch, but on the highway it didn't feel like it could get out of its own way in 5th gear at 70mph.

But say you tune both. GTI gets an APR OTS tune, WRX gets a Cobb OTS tune. The GTI benefits more % wise, giving it the edge in power to weight ratio. At least that's what the numbers say, since I haven't driven a tuned WRX! Comeback there is you can get a custom tune from tons of people to go with the Cobb access port and bump up to 330hp, possibly. AND you can remove the tune, if you're just stage 1, and it should be undetectable.

Ride. OK, most of us don't care about that, but in the little I drove the WRX...it was definitely firm, with a kind of thud when you hit rough pavement seams, but it didn't seem to bounce as much as the short wheelbase GTI. Again, didn't drive it far enough to be sure.

Design and fit: the little triangle window for the front windows was distracting and didn't look like a great thought/design. But the WRX looks more aggressive where the GTI is bland. The interior was fine, better than the old, not spectacular but not an issue either. The very shiny plastic/chrome around the HVAC controls was absolutely hideous. I'd have to plastidip them or something (as much as I hate plastidip). Faux carbon fiber is cheesy but not something that bothers me. Even though it might get a treatment too, haha. I'd probably add a boost gauge in line of sight, the digital one in the center display was too far out of the way (then again, I might get used to it).

Exhaust and engine noise was actually nice. Not the same as the old WRX, but still uniquely boxer and not 'honda' sounding.

Final notes: 2 things the WRX has over the GTI is (1) supposed reliability and (2) AWD grip. The AWD grip makes a big difference for taking off while turning (FWD sucks at that) and putting power down coming out of turns. And really, controlling the car with the gas pedal. I can't consider a FWD car a sports car since you can't modulate the car's balance like you can with AWD or RWD.

All in all, I didn't walk away thinking, "I've got to have that car!" Sure, it would be a good replacement for the GTI, in a different way. And I love my subies.

P.S. After having the soft/smooth shifter of the GTI so long, I understand all those reviews that say it's like shifting a tractor - it actually is! And the clutch is stiffer. Both things I like.

after reading this, i realize i don't really miss it out on the wrx exception for clutch and shifter, its not a bad car in my opinion, i was actually so close to buy one but it got sold the day before i went to dealer. maybe in 2-3 i may want to get an '17 STI or m235i depends on situation, who knows.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Especially considering the MK7 you picked up even has more power than the stock MK6, and will make a LOT more power with a stage 1 tune. And still weighing much less than the WRX. I'm saying this as a Subaru fanboi!

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Especially considering the MK7 you picked up even has more power than the stock MK6, and will make a LOT more power with a stage 1 tune. And still weighing much less than the WRX. I'm saying this as a Subaru fanboi!

i gotta say the mk7 is close to my mk6 stage 1, but my stage 1 mk6 had serrons wheels which were 24ibs vs detroits 29ibs. I also discovered the austins are 29ibs.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
God, Serrons.... one of the more hideous stock wheels on any car in the last 10 years.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I love Serrons. And your wheels Dan ;) But back on topic, the WRX wheels are so stupid looking. I'm not a huge fan of the black wheel craze to begin with, and Subaru did the WRX no favors with those wheels for sure.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I got to rev my buddy's '15 WRX pretty good and I was pretty impressed with the stock power. Maybe you just weren't getting into boost much at all.

2017 STI... please have a new engine, lol.