GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 WRX Discussion Thread

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Nah, I gave it the full beans a few times and noted the bump above 20 on the gauge, then settling to about 15 I believe. It was mostly the higher gears that were disappointing. But the stock GTI is disappointing in the higher gears too :) But maybe you're right, and the car just needs a few miles on it before it will open up good.

If you don't stop talking, I may have to go back and test drive again! Actually, I will probably drive a co-workers next week when she's back in the office.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
You can buy my wheels if you want something under 20 pounds ;)

gonna run these stock wheels and tires through winter, once spring time comes we'll see, I'm more leaning on neuspeed wheels at this point, i change my mind a lot anyway.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Dealer update Wrx-STi order: Got the VIN# now and the arrival date in Florida is 29 Dec! :)

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
serrons do look ugly in certain angles, but some other angles it doesn't, pictures don't really do justice with them.

The scrap yard does justice to them. Circle jerk wheels FTL.

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
May I ask how the switch was in regards to the interior?

I'd describe the interior as 'perfectly fine'. It's not impressive, and it's not crappy (like the old wrx), it's just there. I don't really think about the interior anymore, in a good or bad way, if that makes sense. It's only a big deal when it stands out, you know.

So I went by and test drove a 2015 WRX today and thought I'd give my comparison between it and the GTI. First, a few caveats:

My biggest disappointment: power. Now granted, I'm spoiled by a Stage 1 GTI. But comparing stock GTI to stock WRX: they are nearly identical. And that makes sense. Once you calculate the extra weight of the WRX, plus the larger drivetrain loss due to AWD (roughly 20%), then the power to weight ratios are very close. Of course the WRX has a faster 0-60 due to AWD launch, but on the highway it didn't feel like it could get out of its own way in 5th gear at 70mph.

But say you tune both. GTI gets an APR OTS tune, WRX gets a Cobb OTS tune. The GTI benefits more % wise, giving it the edge in power to weight ratio. At least that's what the numbers say, since I haven't driven a tuned WRX! Comeback there is you can get a custom tune from tons of people to go with the Cobb access port and bump up to 330hp, possibly. AND you can remove the tune, if you're just stage 1, and it should be undetectable.

I felt the same, as I came from a stage 1 gti. I think the wrx probably is faster, but the torque band is a little smoother and doesnt havent that huge torque surge at ~2500rpms like the tuned gti, so it doesnt feel as fast. When I was stock I ran with a stage 2 gti at the track, and while we didnt race per se, he would slowwly pull away from me in the straights, and I would catch back up through the turns. I will say that a stage 1 tune (with protune) definitely changes that significantly. While you can say you can add more power to the gti, it's true, but I feel the power is much more usable in the wrx. btw all the cobb stage 1 tune does it fix throttle mapping, rearrange the power band, etc, I wouldn't really consider it a power mod. The protune is where the power improvements really come.

Exhaust and engine noise was actually nice. Not the same as the old WRX, but still uniquely boxer and not 'honda' sounding.

Yeah, sadly it's not the same old sound. I'm definitely jealous of the ej rumble.

Final notes: 2 things the WRX has over the GTI is (1) supposed reliability and (2) AWD grip. The AWD grip makes a big difference for taking off while turning (FWD sucks at that) and putting power down coming out of turns. And really, controlling the car with the gas pedal. I can't consider a FWD car a sports car since you can't modulate the car's balance like you can with AWD or RWD.

All in all, I didn't walk away thinking, "I've got to have that car!" Sure, it would be a good replacement for the GTI, in a different way. And I love my subies.

Agreed. It's a step up in some ways, a step down in others, and a step sideways in others. It's all about what youre looking for.

P.S. After having the soft/smooth shifter of the GTI so long, I understand all those reviews that say it's like shifting a tractor - it actually is! And the clutch is stiffer. Both things I like.

Agreed. I love the clutch and shifter.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
My buddy is bringing over his 2015 STI tomorrow that he just had a stage 2 tune done to. I'll report back with boner impressions.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Personally, I love Serrons. And your wheels Dan ;) But back on topic, the WRX wheels are so stupid looking. I'm not a huge fan of the black wheel craze to begin with, and Subaru did the WRX no favors with those wheels for sure.

Agree with all of that... black wheels are ugly.

gonna run these stock wheels and tires through winter, once spring time comes we'll see, I'm more leaning on neuspeed wheels at this point, i change my mind a lot anyway.

:word:

Well, if you want a summer setup, mine's a great deal. You won't find anything nice for less. Maybe you and Doug will have a bidding war :laugh:

I'm sure I'll get more interest come March or so, I've kind of given up for now.

The scrap yard does justice to them. Circle jerk wheels FTL.

My buddy is bringing over his 2015 STI tomorrow that he just had a stage 2 tune done to. I'll report back with boner impressions.

Nice :w00t:

My friend has one... I was going to get some time in it this weekend but he was "too tired to hang out" :thumbdown:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Agree with all of that... black wheels are ugly.

Well, if you want a summer setup, mine's a great deal. You won't find anything nice for less. Maybe you and Doug will have a bidding war :laugh:

I'm sure I'll get more interest come March or so, I've kind of given up for now.

Nice :w00t:

My friend has one... I was going to get some time in it this weekend but he was "too tired to hang out" :thumbdown:

Well see also 6 hour? drive. Although i dont mind the drive for good deal. but doug is a lot closer, doe.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I want an STI. Just with a new motor :(

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I want an STI. Just with a new motor :(

Just saw a new sti passed by my work today, dat boxer rumble, but i hear those get tiring. One of the guys on mk7 replaced his wrx bc the loud boxer rumble gets tiring for him as he commutes a lot.

dtraill27

Go Kart Champion
Just saw a new sti passed by my work today, dat boxer rumble, but i hear those get tiring. One of the guys on mk7 replaced his wrx bc the loud boxer rumble gets tiring for him as he commutes a lot.

I've got a q300 exhaust on mine and that shit is music to my ears every time I start it. Still love the way mine drives and the feeling from it but I am getting pretty tired of the noises from the hard plastic interior and crappy stereo.