GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40,000mi service (DSG) is $800!!!??? HELP!!!

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Considering how much a new DSG transmission costs, I think the routine maintenance is a small price to pay for some insurance.

Small price to pay?

$850?...

To change my tranny fluid???

And look at my brake pads...check my windshield wipers...look for rust...check for exhausts leaks...make sure my bulbs are not burned out......

Fuck........

Oh...I forgot...4 spark plugs and an oil change...........

Definitely worth $850

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

McQueen77

Banned
Damn, that is pricey OP. Guess that is the price they make you pay for probably the best transmission ever made. Hopefully DSG/twin clutch gearboxes will become more common place and they won't rail owners financially for having them. At least don't make it a cost option when buying the car. So you have to pay a premium to get the DSG and then premiums to own it? Can't help but feel like they are kind of dangling the shiny new technology and taking advantage..

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
ok, lets break this down.

Last i checked at 40k you should get (about average prices at dealer)
New Cabin Air filter ($80)
Oil/Filter ($100)
DSG dervice ($400)
Spark Plugs ($120)
$700 or so.. at "standard" prices...

You're not just getting the DSG service, you're getting the 40k mile service. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

According to the manual you don't need to do spark plugs yet. You do have to do the fuel filter though. I think I ended up paying about $225 for mine (MT) which was oil+cabin+fuel-15% club discount. They tried to upsell me plugs and I pulled out the manual and said ill do whats in here thanks.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
According to the manual you don't need to do spark plugs yet. You do have to do the fuel filter though. I think I ended up paying about $225 for mine (MT) which was oil+cabin+fuel-15% club discount. They tried to upsell me plugs and I pulled out the manual and said ill do whats in here thanks.

We need the fuel filter too?

I thought that was for the TDI's only....:iono:

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
I called three vw/porsche/audi shops in my area. Its about 300 for the dsg service. If you waned to do plugs its easy as can be..do it yourself.

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I called three vw/porsche/audi shops in my area. Its about 300 for the dsg service. If you waned to do plugs its easy as can be..do it yourself.

$300 every 40k miles...that's less than a penny per mile. The OP needs to get over the cheap maintenance.

I just sold my 2002 996 after 2 wonderful years of ownership. However the CPO expired and I wasn't prepared to have a major problem with it (motor = $20k, tranny = $10k, etc.). VW maintenance is nearly free compared to Porsche. But it's all relative - Porsche maintenance is cheap compared to Ferrari.

Just trying to put the $300 DSG service in perspective. Again, it's $0.0075 per mile. With the free 36k maintenance the first 3 years are $300 plus a three extra oil changes at 5k, 15k, & 25k miles. DIY at $50 each, so let's call it $500 for three years of service.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I did my entire 40K service by myself. Its waaaaaayyyyy too easy. There are plenty of DSG service tool threads over on golfmkv.com

Might be something you consider. Seems easy enough, just time consuming. That way you can pay 200-300 for parts and bank the labor yourself!

EDIT: I didnt do the DSG service because it was done at 30K with my DSG recall

Optical TDI1

Passed Driver's Ed
$300 is fantastic. Sign me up.

I'm bitching about $850. That's what my dealer wants. Read the thread again.

Maybe I misread, but in your first post, you said $850 for 40k service which includes much more than DSG service.

"asked them how much my 40k service will cost"

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Maybe I misread, but in your first post, you said $850 for 40k service which includes much more than DSG service.

"asked them how much my 40k service will cost"

40K includes:
Spark Plugs
Cabin Air Filter
Intake Air Filter
Plugs
Brake Flush I believe.....
DSG Service
Oil Change + Filter
Fuel Filter
Rotation and Balance

....I'm missing something I think.....

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
40K includes:
Spark Plugs
Cabin Air Filter
Intake Air Filter
Plugs
Brake Flush I believe.....
DSG Service
Oil Change + Filter
Fuel Filter
Rotation and Balance

....I'm missing something I think.....

fuel filter and tire balance aren't listed with any service intervals. Brake flush used to be every 2 years regardless of milage, now it's part of the 30K free maintenance.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
fuel filter and tire balance aren't listed with any service intervals. Brake flush used to be every 2 years regardless of milage, now it's part of the 30K free maintenance.

I see...I think I was going off of my 2008 schedule

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Well stop bitching about the dealer service and go to a private shop like i said. Do it yourself and make sure it gets done right. 300 for dsg service..figure 100 for everything else from ecs tuning and youve saved 450 bucks. Plugs, cabin filter, fuel filter, etc is all a snap to do yourself. Dont be afraid of the car.