GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Abnormal Water Temp Reading

firdausasri

Hi Guys,

First and foremost, my name is Firdaus. I’m driving a 2010 Mk6 Golf R with 128k kms for past 5 years now. So far so good but recently I notice strange reading with regards to water temp that hovering between 93-96 deg c in my BlueDriver app while water gauge stays firmly in the middle. Hope to get some advise on what possibly went wrong.

• On idle, water temp hovers between 94-96 and doesn’t seem to reduce even both fans are running. (strange normally it should be between 87-92). However on highway cruising it dips abit to 92-94 even at high speed of 160kmh. Actual gauge stays in the middle.
  • Oil temp (currently on 5w40) hovers between 95-100 deg which this is another issue I’m looking at.
  • Radiator fan will keep on working 2-3 minutes after engine switched off (even on most casual drive).
  • No leaks from coolant as fluid remains light pink in color (G13).
  • The car has not been overheating else we would have felt from the air coming from the aircond.

At the moment, I’m incline to suspect the thermostat might not fully open but not sure if this is the only one. Do you think there could be other factors?

• Water pump: replaced at 20k kms
  • Fan: replaced few months back
  • Air bubble in the system but we also changed the coolant expansion tank recently hence shouldn’t be

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I don't know what the temps are suppose to be but it's normal for the temp gauge to stay in the middle even though the temp is actually changing. The temp gauge in the cluster is almost a dummy gauge. It's more of an approximation.

Cold, Okay, Bad gauge.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The gauge in the cluster is just a 'cold, normal, hot' indicator, it doesn't have the resolution to pick up changes of 2-3 degrees.