GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accessory wiring question

bb55

I’ve added a DAB+ radio adapter to my 2012 Mk6 Golf TDI as the factory-fitted radio (RCD510) only receives DAB, and virtually all of the stations I listen to are using DAB+. The adapter uses its own aerial and is connected to the main head unit via FM.

It’s working perfectly except for one little thing - I’m having to power it from a fuse which is operated via the ignition switch (position 2), so the ignition has to be On for it to work, which means everything else is turned on too. The factory-fitted unit also operates via the ignition switch, but in position 1, i.e. the main ignition is off, and seems to work just like the Accessory position in older cars.

What I’d like to be able to do is turn on the DAB+ adapter via position 1 (Accessory position) without having to switch the main ignition on as I currently do.

Does anyone know if there’s an equivalent in the Mk 6 Golf?

I’ve checked the fuses using a continuity tester in both switch positions but can only find fuses which become live in position 2, none in position 1. There doesn’t even seem to be such a cable going into the back of the radio.

Is this even possible?

I'm in the UK by the way.

Thanks.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Can you find any wire that becomes hot on POS 1? If you can, you can use that to trigger a relay to turn it on. Or hook a toggle switch up in parallel with the ON wire that way you can turn it on with a switch but it won’t turn off so you gotta remember to turn it off unless you hook to a timer.

55bb

Can you find any wire that becomes hot on POS 1? If you can, you can use that to trigger a relay to turn it on. Or hook a toggle switch up in parallel with the ON wire that way you can turn it on with a switch but it won’t turn off so you gotta remember to turn it off unless you hook to a timer.
Hi

No that's the problem - I can't find any connection/fuse which becomes live on position 1, not even in the wiring going into the head unit.

I want to avoid having to manually switch it as I'd probably forget to turn it off 😜

Thanks

GolNat

Autocross Champion
You might have to go directly to the key switch cylinder and pull a signal off of that.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have only done it to Honda’s but no doesn’t look like it from Google.

What does POS 1 even do then? My GTI doesn’t really have a POS 1

55bb

Pos 1 allows you to use the stereo without having the main ignition on or the engine running, for example, when you're parked with the engine off.

In any other cars I've owned there were fuses which became live in Pos 1, or at least a cable going to the stereo which became live, but nothing like that in my Golf, at least that I can find...

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Pos 1 allows you to use the stereo without having the main ignition on or the engine running, for example, when you're parked with the engine off.

In any other cars I've owned there were fuses which became live in Pos 1, or at least a cable going to the stereo which became live, but nothing like that in my Golf, at least that I can find...

Yeah that’s how POS 1 has worked in any other car I have owned but I don’t think the golf works like that. At least my GTI goes from off - acc - start.

So it looks like your only option is a separate toggle with a timer. Or a latching relay that when you open the door it would shut it off.

bb55

Yeah that’s how POS 1 has worked in any other car I have owned but I don’t think the golf works like that. At least my GTI goes from off - acc - start.

So it looks like your only option is a separate toggle with a timer. Or a latching relay that when you open the door it would shut it off.
That's odd. Mine goes from Off -> Acc -> Ignition on -> Start and then goes back to the Ignition position. Maybe they're different in the US - I'm in the UK.

All the same, the head unit must have some way of knowing when the key is in the Acc position, as my head unit comes on automatically when in that position. Maybe it's all linked up to the Canbus or similar on-board VW system.

Anyway, I think I'll give up as it looks way too complicated for such a simple thing :rolleyes:.

Thanks anyway :)