GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Activating European Variable Light Distribution

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, after searching through a bunch of auto-scans on the Ross-Tech website, I stumbled across an auto scan of a European Spec Golf Mk6 with the adaptive Xenon headlights. I decided to input the coding from his headlight range module into my US spec Mk6 GTI and 'lo and behold the European Variable light distribution was activated and the headlights have much better beam patterns and move more quickly. If you want to try this yourself, I changed my coding in the 55-Headlight Range module from 1446940 to 1442908. After you accept the coding, you will need to make sure your car is on a level surface so you can perform the basic settings to initialize the headlight position. Let me know if you have any questions! This is confirmed to work on 2012-2013 Golf's with Bi-Xenons and LED DRL.

zrickety

The Fixer
Pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
guess it's too late for a before vid.. post an after to show what you mean?

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
guess it's too late for a before vid.. post an after to show what you mean?

I could try to post a video but it would be hard to see on camera. Here is a photo from BMW explaining what it does. Of course we don’t have the high beam assist part and the cornering lights will have to be enabled via the CECM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
I will also add that I have not tested this coding in a car that is not equipped with a rain/light sensor and automatic headlights. It should work without one but I do not have proof that it will.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
This also activates the option of Travel Mode which is to be used when driving on the left side of the road e.g. England. It adjusts the lights so you do not blind traffic coming from the right.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I will also add that I have not tested this coding in a car that is not equipped with a rain/light sensor and automatic headlights. It should work without one but I do not have proof that it will.

Worked for my car which doesn't have a rain/light sensor or automatic headlights. I didn't do a before & after direct comparison but it seems to have worked to increase range and beam pattern.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
Worked for my car which doesn't have a rain/light sensor or automatic headlights. I didn't do a before & after direct comparison but it seems to have worked to increase range and beam pattern.

So glad to hear it worked for you! I noticed at speeds slower than 25 mph the driver’s side headlight beam points to the left so you can see off to the side of the road more. That way you can spot pedestrians/animals easier.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
Just ordered the parts needed to retrofit the European-only High Beam assistant. Will report back if I am successful

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Hi all, after searching through a bunch of auto-scans on the Ross-Tech website, I stumbled across an auto scan of a European Spec Golf Mk6 with the adaptive Xenon headlights. I decided to input the coding from his headlight range module into my US spec Mk6 GTI and 'lo and behold the European Variable light distribution was activated and the headlights have much better beam patterns and move more quickly. If you want to try this yourself, I changed my coding in the 55-Headlight Range module from 1446940 to 1442908. After you accept the coding, you will need to make sure your car is on a level surface so you can perform the basic settings to initialize the headlight position. Let me know if you have any questions! This is confirmed to work on 2012-2013 Golf's with Bi-Xenons and LED DRL.

For the basic settings you refer to, is this in the link thecreeper just posted above?

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
I made this change this weekend, not sure I can notice a difference though - one thing I noticed is that when I check Travel Mode in the MFI menu, I get a bulb out error. Is that expected?

I used this to initialize the lights after I made the change:

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17328

Did I miss something?

Bulb out error on travel mode is normal for the first 30 seconds or so. It’s so you don’t use it when it’s not necessary because it blinds other motorists.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
For the basic settings you refer to, is this in the link thecreeper just posted above?

Yes. Just do the vag-com part of that link.

StorminNorman

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the wiring mocked up for the Auto high beams and they work! Gonna tidy everything up when I get time later this week.