GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket head unit and speakers

LcFr

Hi everyone...

I have been reading some threads here regarding replacing the head radio unit and the stock speakers. Many have a conclusion that a amp will do the job in fixing the lack of good sound quality of the stock speakers. I also noticed that some of the threads are from 2014 and 2018, my question is, if there is a new thread or if someone have a better understanding, and explain to me which head unit and speakers would work better for my 2012 VW GTI manual, I have not premium head unit, no navigation system. I try to found the "Focal" MK6 kit speakers but unfortunately are out of stock. I also try "BestBuy" and they don't provide me with a accurate info on what do I need to buy, regarding the installation parts, so as today I have no idea, how much money do I need and what head unit would give me at least a close sound quality as my 2017 VW GTI Autobahn has. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-20210725-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210725-WA0009.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 53

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Pretty much any aftermarket head unit will be miles ahead of the OEM head unit as far as sound quality is concerned. I prefer Pioneer, and Kenwood, and I would highly recommend spending enough to get Carplay, or Android Auto.

Crutchfield is a great place to look, they do a good job showing what speakers will fit, and what accessories you'll need to hook everything up. You'll probably want something like a iDatalink Maestro to keep the steering wheel controls, but that's up to you. You'll really need to think about a budget, you can improve the OEM system with a head unit that has some tuning features, adding an amp, and new front speakers will help a lot too. Don't bother with spending money on rear speakers, and focus most of your budget towards good speakers for the front.

Let me know if you need more specific information, but I would start with browsing Crutchfield's website, and figuring out a budget, once you have a couple of things sorted we can talk about specific products.

LcFr

Pretty much any aftermarket head unit will be miles ahead of the OEM head unit as far as sound quality is concerned. I prefer Pioneer, and Kenwood, and I would highly recommend spending enough to get Carplay, or Android Auto.

Crutchfield is a great place to look, they do a good job showing what speakers will fit, and what accessories you'll need to hook everything up. You'll probably want something like a iDatalink Maestro to keep the steering wheel controls, but that's up to you. You'll really need to think about a budget, you can improve the OEM system with a head unit that has some tuning features, adding an amp, and new front speakers will help a lot too. Don't bother with spending money on rear speakers, and focus most of your budget towards good speakers for the front.

Let me know if you need more specific information, but I would start with browsing Crutchfield's website, and figuring out a budget, once you have a couple of things sorted we can talk about specific products.
I love it... I'll call them and check what head unit would work best for what I need and I'll definitely contact you as soon I get a better idea of my budget. A side note, I was planning to use $2000 for a new wheels and tires, but unfortunately, the wheels that I was looking for are out stock, so they told me to wait maybe a month or more, the ones I was trying to getting are the TSW Valencia in matte black, so now I have a budget of $1000 - $2000 for a new sounds system for my GTI.