GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket not flush? should i replace it with OEM ?

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes i do regret purchasing a horrible aftermarket brand. The worst part is it took me forever to take out the Foglight grille.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It doesn't fit flush with my bumper, one of the fins is sticking out but not by much. Do you think it's worth the hassle of replacing it?
That would be 100% up to you. OEM stuff will always fit the best, but if it isnt a show car and you can live with it, I assure you no one else will notice.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
That would be 100% up to you. OEM stuff will always fit the best, but if it isnt a show car and you can live with it, I assure you no one else will notice.
I totally agree with this, it's your baby and the beauty is in YOUR eyes. For me, stuff like that makes me crazy because I know it's there, doesn't look or fit right, and it will bug me forever. That's why I usually stick to the OEM stuff unless I know an aftermarket part is just as good or fits properly. I've sent many things back before that I didn't like. In the end, it's your call.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Shoot some pictures, let's see how bad it is.

But if everytime you walk out to your car you're looking at it......that's when you know you should replace it.

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
0D6AE657-982E-401D-B8F5-4FCC1D822087.jpeg

It’s driving me crazy but the fog grille was already hard enough to take off

Heres another photo of a gap that i noticed because of the alignment..

Attachments

• aaaaaa.jpeg
    aaaaaa.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure if it's because i installed it incorrectly ? But i'm assuming that the $25 aftermarket piece didn't fit flush..

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
For stuff like that I find a bit of TLC always resolves the issue.

Be careful to see while installing what might be causing it to poke out, a little bit of sanding or trimming should be all it takes to make those look OEM.

Not sure since can't really tell from the pics, but those look close enough to fit perfectly once massaged into place.

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
For stuff like that I find a bit of TLC always resolves the issue.

Be careful to see while installing what might be causing it to poke out, a little bit of sanding or trimming should be all it takes to make those look OEM.

Not sure since can't really tell from the pics, but those look close enough to fit perfectly once massaged into place.
for a few hours yesterday i tried to wiggle it into place, but it didn't work. I noticed one of the clips bent somewhat prob because of cheap quality or either me forcing it hard

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hmm, that gap would PROBABLY bug the heck out of me but I can be pretty anal.

You can take it off and try to massage it and reshape it with a bit of heat, laying it out in the sun for a bit would even work. You could get some double side tape and just tack it down. Or return it.

Sadly, pretty much all options other than leaving it mean taking it back off.

Remember it's not about it being aftermarket, heck, this whole forum is about slapping aftermarket stuff on our cars. It's about the QUALITY of the aftermarket stuff.

GTIWolfsburg

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm, that gap would PROBABLY bug the heck out of me but I can be pretty anal.

You can take it off and try to massage it and reshape it with a bit of heat, laying it out in the sun for a bit would even work. You could get some double side tape and just tack it down. Or return it.

Sadly, pretty much all options other than leaving it mean taking it back off.

Remember it's not about it being aftermarket, heck, this whole forum is about slapping aftermarket stuff on our cars. It's about the QUALITY of the aftermarket stuff.

yeah it's been annoying me , but the clips itself were hard to take off.. Idk if it's worth the hassle, i'm just wondering if you guys think it's worth the hassle though to take it off

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Like Joe said it's really up to you.

Is the rest of the car flawless and you take it to shows? Is the rest of the bumper in good shape? I doubt anyone would notice it but if it's gonna bother you then certainly change them out.

Maybe wait a week or so and see how you feel about it then. If it still bothers you and you think about it often best to replace them or attempt install again.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
It’s driving me crazy but the fog grille was already hard enough to take off
yeah it's been annoying me , but the clips itself were hard to take off.. Idk if it's worth the hassle, i'm just wondering if you guys think it's worth the hassle though to take it off
^^^^^^
I think you've answered your own question. Since you just took it apart, doing it a second time should make it that much easier. And faster.

Like Thumper said, take it off, inspect it, see if there's something you can do to make it better - heat, maybe the clip needs adjusting or replacing, whatever. In the end you could just return it and get OEM.