GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket RMSs

clownish

just clowning around
Any opinions on iabed vs. 034 or any other options for aftermarket rear main seals? Inclined to go iabed just because its been years, tons of people have it installed and I know it'll work. And its a few bucks cheaper.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Actually the new revised OEM RMS is what I would use. I have the iAbed but the OEM is cheaper and has a superior design.

Knotical

Drag Racing Champion
I have the iabed one. Can't complain, hasn't leaked as far as I can tell. Been in for 25k now
I did think it was leaking for a bit, but that turned out to be brake fluid from the TOB. I'll be in there soon to get that TOB and we'll see how the seal is holding up

EDIT: Quick update for anyone stumbling on this thread. The Iabed unit WAS leaking, not much, just a few drops at the bottom of the seal when I got the transmission out. Lucky me, RMS and TOB failure in one go haha. I replaced it with the 034 unit this time.

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Go with the revised OEM RMS. I heard the AiBed seal leaks. Same with 034. And the ECS tuning ones leak too.

I went with the revised OEM RMS. No issues so far.

I actually bought the AIBed seal than I returned it because I heard some leak and I wasn’t going to take chances.

revised OEM part for the win!

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Go with the revised OEM RMS. I heard the AiBed seal leaks. Same with 034. And the ECS tuning ones leak too.

I went with the revised OEM RMS. No issues so far.

I actually bought the AIBed seal than I returned it because I heard some leak and I wasn’t going to take chances.

revised OEM part for the win!
I want to be sure we aren't confusing issues here regarding the Billet RMS's.

The Billet RMS's do not inherently leak. They leak due to a poor seal installation into the billet housing, incorrect application of the RTV, or improper torqueing of the housing to the engine.

The revised OEM RMS may be a better fit for some people because it has less room for error when it comes to the install. The challenge with the iABED product is that the seal is not pressed into the housing and there are no instructions on doing so. When I installed mine, it took some trial and error, which included posting pictures of how far I installed the seal online and thankfully I received feedback that it needed to go in further. I improvised with some basic tools and was able to drive it in properly. 20k miles later and there have been zero leaks from the iABED on my car.

I just want to be sure we are clearly stating the challenge with the billet products and that it's not just a random occurrence that they leak. 99% of the time it is install error.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

The Billet RMS's do not inherently leak. They leak due to a poor seal installation into the billet housing, incorrect application of the RTV, or improper torqueing of the housing to the engine.

The revised OEM RMS may be a better fit for some people because it has less room for error when it comes to the install. The challenge with the iABED product is that the seal is not pressed into the housing and there are no instructions on doing so. When I installed mine, it took some trial and error, which included posting pictures of how far I installed the seal online and thankfully I received feedback that it needed to go in further. I improvised with some basic tools and was able to drive it in properly. 20k miles later and there have been zero leaks from the iABED on my car.

I just want to be sure we are clearly stating the challenge with the billet products and that it's not just a random occurrence that they leak. 99% of the time it is install error.

All of this.

clownish

just clowning around

The same issue IMO as waterpump installs. Most of the time the actual waterpump was fine, but the wrench installing it didn't ensure a clean seal.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

Sorry I didn’t elaborate.

who puts out a product without proper instructions? Right. AiBed does.

I am talking about the billet RMS developed and released by AiBed industries.

I’ve heard from multiple shops in Ontario, Canada that they’ve had issues with the AiBed RMS’s. Not all but some.

mainly due to installation error and sometimes because of the actually AiBed RMS’s itself.

again, why not include proper instructions?
I’ve heard the guy behind AiBed actually went to shops to train techs on how to install these AiBed RMS’s.

I’ve also heard this same guy give crap to shops that called him out.

I’m not buying a product that takes more time to install due to lack of instructions by the MFG.

AND it can potentially leak. It’s a hit and miss.
I’m not gambling with car parts.

you wanna go with AiBed RMS’s. Go for it. Your car. Your money. Your choices.

but I’m going with the shops that are transparent and told me the issues with AiBed RMS’s. I believe them. I even had a local part supplier that said there’s chances it can leak and the bulletproof option is the OEM revised RMS.

but even the OEM revised seal May leak. 100k miles down the road but not earlier.

I won’t go with a MFG that doesn’t provide instructions.

not gambling with my time, money and energy folks.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
DAP stopped selling the IABed seal because too many customer reports of it leaking. Im sure a lot of that could be user error but the revised oem one is cheap, easy to install and seems to be holding up so far.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
The new revised OEM seal is more than adequate but I would steer clear of iAbed if you want a billet RMS with the old tried-and-true viton seal. They don't press in the seal or include the installation tool. To my knowledge, they don't even include any type of warning or instructions about proper installation steps (neither of mine came with anything for FSI/TSI). This lead to a lot of people installing them wrong over the years and they would end up leaking. The response to all of this on the forums was pretty cringe worthy which was a big turn off. Example

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
The new revised OEM seal is more than adequate but I would steer clear of iAbed if you want a billet RMS with the old tried-and-true viton seal. They don't press in the seal or include the installation tool. To my knowledge, they don't even include any type of warning or instructions about proper installation steps (neither of mine came with anything for FSI/TSI). This lead to a lot of people installing them wrong over the years and they would end up leaking. The response to all of this on the forums was pretty cringe worthy which was a big turn off. Example
Exactly why I didn’t buy the AiBed RMS. It’s a hit or miss. I wasn’t willing to take chances.

I asked the shops I bring my mk6 to and they said there’s been cases where a handful of AiBed RMS’s did leak for some of their customers.

again. Only a handful. Even tho one particular shop said NO AIBed RMS at all as they always leak. And directed me towards the OEM revised RMS. And about wrong installation… how is the shop or the shop guys at fault for wrong installation when no instructions are provided??!!!
Ya let’s develop a product and release it. With no instructions. Who cares. We just wanna make money is what this sounds like. Let the installer figure it out by spending time, money and energy. Lol am I the only one who thinks in these terms?

Anyway,
I asked what the shops did to resolve the issue. They said they ended up going with the revised OEM RMS from VW/Audi.

so I insisted that they get me the OEM revised RMS from Audi(VW).

this is a RMS we are taking about. Not a ignition coil we can simply pull out with basic tools with so little time/effort/energy.

the engine and tranny must come apart to replace the RMS so I wasn’t going to take chances and steered clear from AiBed RMS.

for some the AiBed RMS works and does not leak. Which is good. However, ask yourself this, what IF it does? Are you going to go back and forth?

it’s your choice at the end of the day.
im sharing my experience and knowledge.

you pick and choose what part you want installed.

I went with the OEM VW/Audi RMS. Purchased directly from VW/Audi.

call VW and ask for the revised version part number if you want to be 100% accurate