GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternator pulley

ReijnenM

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all. Just curious if anyone has experience replacing the alternator pulley. And if it is necessary to Jack the engine up to remove and replace?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Hello all. Just curious if anyone has experience replacing the alternator pulley. And if it is necessary to Jack the engine up to remove and replace?
I don't think you can replace the pulley on it's own, You'll likely need to replace the whole alternator. You don't need to jack the engine up though, it's pretty accessible with the right tools.

You might need to jack it up slightly if your mounts are fubar. But yea you can replace it, FCP sells the tools for $13. Used to do them all the time on some Mercedes models. They would seize and then the belt tensioner would be bouncing around like mad. If you didn't catch it early enough it would shear the a/c pulley as well. Also, it's gonna be righty loose lefty tight since you counter hold the pulley.

Then again, depending on mileage may consider complete alternator.

ReijnenM

Passed Driver's Ed
You might need to jack it up slightly if your mounts are fubar. But yea you can replace it, FCP sells the tools for $13. Used to do them all the time on some Mercedes models. They would seize and then the belt tensioner would be bouncing around like mad. If you didn't catch it early enough it would shear the a/c pulley as well. Also, it's gonna be righty loose lefty tight since you counter hold the pulley.

Then again, depending on mileage may consider complete alternator.

Nice thank you! After doing some research I will need to lift the motors a bit. Only a couple brackets so not too bad. The pulley just started making noise and still spins freely so I think I’ve caught it before it could cause more damage.

The car is at 175,000 km so like 105,000 miles. I had tested it recently and it seems to be working fine for now.im not sure how long they typically last but I’ll have to look into that as well.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Nice thank you! After doing some research I will need to lift the motors a bit. Only a couple brackets so not too bad. The pulley just started making noise and still spins freely so I think I’ve caught it before it could cause more damage.

The car is at 175,000 km so like 105,000 miles. I had tested it recently and it seems to be working fine for now.im not sure how long they typically last but I’ll have to look into that as well.

One more thing, once you pull the plug out spray some penetrant in there and let sit for a bit. Sometimes they break loose easy, some not so much. 👍

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Actually this is the first I'm hearing of a problem with the alternator pulley. I've replaced all the belts, rollers and tensioners due to noise but not the alternator. Please post your findings.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...

What sort of noise were you experiencing