GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Am I overreacting?

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
Ok so story time(coles at the end):

I pick up my 2011 GTI on Wed the 8th of Dec, by the time I leave dealership its around 6pm. Everything looked fine the only problem was that they forgot to install the maps for the Nav system. No problem, I would come back another day for the service dept to install it. I come back on Saturday the 11th as planned, my sales guy comes out and hands me the DVD as well as a guide to the nav system so that I could install it myself. Not really a problem, went home installed it.

That night of the 8th, as I'm driving around in my new GTI I notice a scratch in the the leather on the underside of the steeringwheel. Visually its not large and it being on the bottom of the steeringwheel you would never notice it however when you pass your hand over it you can feel it and its annoying. So the next morning (maybe 12-14 hours after I picked it up) I e-mail my sales guy with a picture of the scratch asking him if I could get that fixed. He asks me to bring it in for the manager to take a look at so the saturday when I picked up the dvd the manager looked at it and tells me they'll call some leather fixing company to come in and fix it. So I make the appointment for the following Wed the 15th.

Wed the 15th I drop my car off, service dept is unaware of the steeringwheel problem however I had also asked that since my car was going to be in the shop that they take a listen to my first gear and when I downshift from 5th to 4th as there seemed to be some grinding. So the service guy tells me that he'll call the leather repair company that day for them to come in. Oh also that morning my arm rest got stuck open. So around 12-1 pm the service calls me back and tells me that they'll have to order a new armrest for me and that he's unable to get ahold of the leather fixing company but he will keep trying. (At this point I'm getting a little pissed because they should have made sure this leather fixing company was going to be there that day since I had made an appointment.) Anyway, I don't get a call back from the service guy and I just show up that evening before they close. He tells me they couldn't get the leather guy in but the armrest should be in by Friday and that he'll ensure the leather fixing company will be there.

The next day around noon I call the service dept the make sure that indeed everything was on track for my car to get fixed the next day. Sure enough the same service guy tells that he hadn't called them (leather fixing company) and that he would call them right then and call me right back. No phone call back that day. So I don't bring in the car on Friday as he didn't call back and I was sure it was going to be a waste of my time again.

That leaves us to today, I go in this morning to see what exactly was going on. Service guy tells me that the arm rest won't be in for another week (good thing I didn't just show up on Friday to get that fixed as I was previously told) and tells me to talk to the Sales manager about the steeringwheel...at this point I have a feeling something is up. I talk to the sales guy who tells me he's been trying to call other companies and that apparently the leather guy did show up on Wed and looked at it and it wasn't fixable. He continues telling me that he's unsure what to do, so I tell him to just replace the wheel. He goes tells me its $1000 wheel and that we don't know what caused it etc...(insinuating it could have been me of course). So I tell him that I infomred them of this as soon as I possibly could, it wasn't 3 days after I got it, it wasn't a week it was the morning after I picked it up and that I just spent $35K (canadian) on the car and that I didn't want a scratch on my $1000 steeringwheel.

I got rather angry at this point as stuff was just piling on and I had given them the 10 rating on their survey as they requested (at that point I was happy enough...a mistake on my part). I went on to list off all the shit they 'forgot' like the maps, forgetting to call me back twice, wasting my time by making come in to talk to them and getting nothing done to my car, the miscommunication between the service dept and sales as the service guy tells me that no one looked at the leather wheel where as the sales guy tells me they did etc... I left furious and am now waiting for the manager to call me back once he finds a company that will fix the leather in the wheel (as opposed to replacing it as it would cost them $1000 apparently)

Now I went for a spirited drive and have cooled down, did I over react? Most likely a bit, and I can see from their side that it 'could' have been me that scratched it but it wasn't. And I informed them of this scratch at the earliest possible time, less than 24 hours after pickup infact it was just over 12 hours.

What do you think? Should I just suck it up an deal with this scratch or keep at them until they fix/replace it?

Coles:
-get car evening of the 8th with missing nav maps, notice scratch on bottom of steeringwheel
-notify dealer the next morning
-dealer says they will get someone to fix it
-service says no one looked at the wheel when I brought it in, sales say someone did and its not fixable
-I request for a new wheel, they don't want to and will try again to get it 'fixed'
-Bunch of miscommunication between their departments and them wasting my time
-Me pissed that they are wasting my time and not just replacing the wheel
-Me probably over reacting some

Should I push to get a new wheel or am I shit out of luck because I should have noticed this the night I picked it up (which to be honest would have been impossible, I did as thorough of a look as I could and I didn't look under the steeringwheel)?

HOLLIS

Ready to race!
I would try and get a new wheel but, you might be shit out of luck. Not sure what you paid for yours in Ottawa but, mine was 37g's. I would be pissed if i spend that kind of money and had a problem like that.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
I would try and get a new wheel but, you might be shit out of luck. Not sure what you paid for yours in Ottawa but, mine was 37g's. I would be pissed if i spend that kind of money and had a problem like that.

Close to that.

post a pic of the scratch.

Sure.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
ehh i'm sure theres a product out there that could fix that pretty easily... someone on the board could probably give you some advice on what to do about that.

Yeah, if they don't fix it/replace it I will look into it myself because you can really feel it when your hand passes over that spot.

looks like a key was dragged across the darned thing

Yeah exactly, a key, ring..something of the sort.

P

plac

thats the problem with buying a new car... no possible way you will find every flaw in a couple hours of inspection before you buy it.. you find the flaws after you have bought it.

very unlikely you caused it. more likely it came that way, or prep inspection scratched it with something.

i hate buying new cars... this shit always happens.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
thats the problem with buying a new car... no possible way you will find every flaw in a couple hours of inspection before you buy it.. you find the flaws after you have bought it.

very unlikely you caused it. more likely it came that way, or prep inspection scratched it with something.

i hate buying new cars... this shit always happens.

Exactly, I know for a fact I didn't do it. I noticed it a couple hours after picking it up and notified them as soon as I could. Ugh.....

CGTI

Ready to race!
dont give up. Keep pushing for the new wheel. Tell the Sales manager you will report to corporate that he coerced you into signing the customer satisfaction rating on a promise that all would be made correct and that he is not coming through. Keep your cool. In dispute the party that loses their cool loses. Be professional but firm.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
My car had that a week after i got it also.. now I dont even feel it. as time goes by that part will smooth out through wear and tear.. I was under the impression a lot of people had this.. I know a couple of people who have them

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
It is faily minor...and it is in a spot where you can't really see it. BUT, it would bug the hell out of me too....especially if you can feel it as the wheel passes through your hands. That would drive me insane.

However, I have a feeling you won't get a brand new wheel. Keep fighting for a repair of some sort. Or....get yourself a nice pair of driving gloves.:mad0259:

Blade302

i would throw a shit fit thats ridiculous if they wont do anything for you ask for their district managers number... generally the higher up the ladder you go the quicker they will be to give you what you want.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
you gotta show the dealer who is boss! before I signed or payed for anything, I triple checked the entire car. point out every little scratch and detail and that'll help bring the price down. There was some weird orange bird crap on my car so I complained that they needa take care of the cars paint or else i'm not gonna buy it. I also complained that the car i'm buying has been on the lot for 105 days. This got me a pretty low price. If you pointed out that scratch before you bought the car, i'm sure you would have gotten a little off. Then after you buy it, make them fix it. It's a win win.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
i would throw a shit fit thats ridiculous if they wont do anything for you ask for their district managers number... .

Whoa!!....a "Shit Fit"!!??......I don't know about all THAT!

I would simply go back to the dealership and, calmly, jam a pen in the side of the service managers neck.......and then tell him to call the leather repair guy to patch up the hole in his fucking jugular.

(I'm. sorry....I hate xmas. It makes me very cranky, and I tend to say mean things. Dec 26 is my favorite day of the year)