GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ammonia Powered Cars?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I never heard of using it before I read Biden's "Plan B" for reducing greenhouse emissions, even there's been experimental vehicles for years. Seems you still need gasoline to start and for low speeds, then I think you can run all ammonia, albeit at high compression. Ethanol uses a lot of electricity for distilling, ammonia is made from fossil fuels. To make the current electric car batteries you need expensive lithium. I know they're working on alternatives but will they be any better? The electricity to manufacture everything will overwhelm generation. There's not enough solar, wind, or dams to power to generators we have now. Battery powered cars won't work well in cold weather. Where some of my family is from it can get down to -47* F in winter. Seems we enthusiasts are going to be screwed. Probably not in my lifetime but I think for sure for you youngsters. So what do you all think will be the short and long term solutions, barring breakthroughs in technology or more sensible goals than taxing us into oblivion to pay for everything?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I never heard of using it before I read Biden's "Plan B" for reducing greenhouse emissions, even there's been experimental vehicles for years. Seems you still need gasoline to start and for low speeds, then I think you can run all ammonia, albeit at high compression. Ethanol uses a lot of electricity for distilling, ammonia is made from fossil fuels. To make the current electric car batteries you need expensive lithium. I know they're working on alternatives but will they be any better? The electricity to manufacture everything will overwhelm generation. There's not enough solar, wind, or dams to power to generators we have now. Battery powered cars won't work well in cold weather. Where some of my family is from it can get down to -47* F in winter. Seems we enthusiasts are going to be screwed. Probably not in my lifetime but I think for sure for you youngsters. So what do you all think will be the short and long term solutions, barring breakthroughs in technology or more sensible goals than taxing us into oblivion to pay for everything?

Haha, your family is out burning rubber at 47 below? Please post video. But seriously, electric cars and battery technology are in their infancy and with todays technology applied toward development, advancements can and will come. Its not even clear that batteries alone will power our electric cars, work in ultracapacitors is getting interesting as they charge superfast, made mostly of carbon (no lithium) and can discharge much faster than a lithium battery (especially interesting for performance folks) You can look to some of the exotic companies that will be experimenting with powerful aux elec motors for bursts of power (See Lambo)

Oh and ultracapacitors have an operating range of -40F to 150F

Phur

Autocross Champion