GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another CBFA Downpipe Post

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Those are more difficult to come by these days, but there are definitely other options out there. I found one for around $180, only to find the same one on AliExpress for around $115. I'm assuming the price drop is because it cuts out the middleman.

Also, I miss the AI face...
Oh not the brand I was wishing you luck lol

the_horak

Ready to race!
Oh not the brand I was wishing you luck lol
I love it! Hahaha

Oh, but I understand the name of the brand now! Every time someone bought one, the company was pretty much saying to the buyer, "good luck..."

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
I wanted to throw my hat in the ring here. I also had recently done a HPA KO4 upgrade which included a catted Eurosport Downpipe (cat is a Magnaflow brand 400 cell). After install I got the P0420 code within the first 50 miles.. Reset it, came back on in about 20 miles.. I'm new to the platform, and haven't had a tuned car in about 6 years. So little known to me with all the EPA crackdown that all the big names no longer messed with these type of codes.. I had assumed it would be taken care of with a tune... Well I was wrong obviously.. An so I was in a bit of a panic thinkin I just blew like 5 grand on parts an now I cant get this thing inspected.. But based on a lot of reading here I tried a J style spacer with the middle insert on the post cat O2 sensor only, pointing forward (at a slight angle towards the drivers side due to clearance of the chassis brace). An so far several hundred miles later I'm code free).. Even if it comes back eventually at least I know I should be able to hold it off long enough for inspection.. PS I'm CBFA

the_horak

Ready to race!
I wanted to throw my hat in the ring here. I also had recently done a HPA KO4 upgrade which included a catted Eurosport Downpipe (cat is a Magnaflow brand 400 cell). After install I got the P0420 code within the first 50 miles.. Reset it, came back on in about 20 miles.. I'm new to the platform, and haven't had a tuned car in about 6 years. So little known to me with all the EPA crackdown that all the big names no longer messed with these type of codes.. I had assumed it would be taken care of with a tune... Well I was wrong obviously.. An so I was in a bit of a panic thinkin I just blew like 5 grand on parts an now I cant get this thing inspected.. But based on a lot of reading here I tried a J style spacer with the middle insert on the post cat O2 sensor only, pointing forward (at a slight angle towards the drivers side due to clearance of the chassis brace). An so far several hundred miles later I'm code free).. Even if it comes back eventually at least I know I should be able to hold it off long enough for inspection.. PS I'm CBFA
Actually that's a really helpful post. I've been jumping all over the place thinking about what I want to do. I've been leaning towards a 400 cell cat because I figure it will help decrease the CEL. I know people say negative things with performance, but a 3" do with only 1 400 cell cat is still a major improvement over stock. Your post helps me decide on a 400, so thank you. How much was your DP? You cut it and added the cat?

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
The downpipe was 550 I think. It is really good quality, it came with the cat, they advertise as 400 cell. But looking at it it says magnaflow right on the cat so Eurosport must source it from them. I can't speak to how detrimental it is for performance but like you said 1 400 cell shouldn't be that bad... I doubt I'm loosing much..

the_horak

Ready to race!
The downpipe was 550 I think. It is really good quality, it came with the cat, they advertise as 400 cell. But looking at it it says magnaflow right on the cat so Eurosport must source it from them. I can't speak to how detrimental it is for performance but like you said 1 400 cell shouldn't be that bad... I doubt I'm loosing much..
What are you using after the downpipe? Stock cat back ot aftermarket/custom

JOHNDERS2586

Ready to race!
Beluga racing cat back which is 2.5". It's not a bad system it was cheap but seemed to get good reviews.. Its on the quiet side. Only time it gets noticably loud is under heavy throttle.

the_horak

Ready to race!
You might get rid of the P0420 but you'll start throwing other o2 sensor lean/rich codes depending on the spacing and orientation of the o2 spacer if its not perfect.
I'm fine with that. It's all part of the process. If we don't wanna deal with stuff like this, we should keep it stock.

the_horak

Ready to race!
Beluga racing cat back which is 2.5". It's not a bad system it was cheap but seemed to get good reviews.. Its on the quiet side. Only time it gets noticably loud is under heavy throttle.
So I grabbed a 3" 400 cell cat and I'm probably gonna grab a MK5 catless DP. Cheap ones that seem to be decent run around $125. If I'm gonna be cutting and modding anyway, might as well go cheaper

the_horak

Ready to race!
Grabbed a DP off eBay. Made an offer for $80 and they accepted it. J spacer is ordered, too

EDIT: DP came in and I'm really very happy with it for $80. Some of the cut pipe ends need to be reamed, but the welding is good. It's consistent and clean, seems like a well-made pipe.

Last edited:

the_horak

Ready to race!
So I have my downpipe cut to allow me to add the cat, I've got some thick band clamps and some sealant, I adjusted the flange that connects to the turbo, a j-style spacer and I had a shop weld some saddle-style o2 bungs at holes that I drilled. I was initially gonna see how the 1000* JB Weld would work but changed my mind. Progress.

400 cell cat - $45
Downpipe - $84
Clamps - $10
o2 bungs - $20
OEM gasket - $8
o2 welding - $40!!! (So upset...)

So far I'm under $210 for a downpipe with a high flow cat for a CBFA engine. I don't include the j-spacer because that's a separate cost.

the_horak

Ready to race!
Ill post an update 1 single 90-degree catted racing dynamic spacer on rear o2 bung @ 2 o'clock and I have no CEL passed all readiness
That's really good to know. Any way you can explain what you mean by 2 o'clock? From what viewpoint? What are you considering to be 12?

the_horak

Ready to race!
OEM has 2 cats???
Yep! Real dumb

Until I get under there, I'm not gonna really be able to picture it. Sounds like the wire and shield doesn't give me much choice.