GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another day, another engine oil leak

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Excellent! Glad for you as I know how annoying this can be.

I know the feeling..just purchased a 2012 and it had oil everywhere from a long time leak. Cleaned the heck out of it and now its looking NICE and feels good lol
I have three other non VW cars that I am tackling the leaks on, so 3 down one to go.

What does it cost to replace the RMS?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Yes!! only those who went through a car that leaked engine oil know how annoying it can be.

Damn. That's good you found out and cleaned it up. Some people don't even realize their car is leaking engine oil until it's too late. That's good you cleaned it up.
Yes, please don't let engine oil or any fluid leak from your car(s), it's like liquid money leaking, little by little, you don't want that. It's not good for the environment as well.

Anywhere from 700$ to 1000$, depends on the shop and the relationship you have with the shop.

Shop around.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So I found oil droplets AGAIN, I am hoping it's not the RMS.... if it is, I am going to abandon this GTI and focus on making more money so I can buy a GTR. I am DONE with repairing this GTI.

When I say abandon, it means I will park it up and not drive it as much lol... I don't want to sell it. Not an option.

These cars will appreciate in value in the coming years. MARK MY WORDS!!!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I don't think it's the RMS, it looks clean from the looks of it, it will be on the hoist soon at my buddies shop to see where the oil leak originated. Going to his shop right after I'm done work.
I'm pretty up-tight when it comes to leaks. I ALWAYS check for leaks after a cold start, no matter where I park my car. Keeping the fluids from leaking is priority for me, myself and I.

I do plan on buying other cars while keeping this mk6 GTI as a reminder for many lessons I've learned while owning this vehicle.

Back to the grind $_$

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Ya so I took my Mk6 to my buddies shop after work. Put it on the hoist. Go under the car. All of us are looking and we find NO oil leak…. Super weird.

At this point. I’m going to leave it alone and focus on other things.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Yeah could just be residual from the original leak.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Yeah could just be residual from the original leak.
Ya that too, that's what I thought as well. Left it alone. I don't care anymore. Gotta focus on other things in life.
I still check underneath the car every cold start lol... it's a habit I can't let go of.

I have a Class AZ (Canada) | CDL (USA) license so it's embedded in my brain to do PTI (pre-trip inspection/post-trip inspection) on all motor vehicles I have access to/operate.

Yes, I can drive big rigs (18-wheelers).

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
Oil leaks! :( Nothing wrong with checking underneath the car!

I also have to focus on other things as I can get consumed with oil leaks. We have 4 cars in the family and each one has had their fair share. Three now completely resolved.

We just purchased a 2012 GTI and PO told us it consumes oil just like all other Euro cars. That's fine I get it. But once I got her home and opened the hood I see an oil leak that had been going on for years. Cleaned her up really good and found it to be the upper timing chain cover, crossed my fingers and now it seems to be it.

Really if you think about it there are only a few places oil can leak from, although once it starts getting everywhere it can be hard to tell
I should invest in brake cleaner stock :) I use the heck out of this stuff...One method I use is to jack the car up, block it / jack stands, clean the engine really good with engine cleaner, brake cleaner, or whatever and then get under the car and watch for it.

I have done this a few times with my cars and sometimes it does take some time to identify and it does not happen immediately but I found it helpful in the end.

Our fourth car we know where the oil leak is coming which is 1/2 the battle.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Indeed, that's because we like to stay on top of things. Prevention is better than cure.

We must take care of the household machines!!!

Yeah that's true, it's easier to spot leaks when they first appear, it gets harder to spot.. the longer it continues to leak.

We can't let liquid money(fluids) leak!!! I don't mind oil consumption, it can be fixed, leaks are scary/annoying.