GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Oil Leak Thread, or: There Are Many Like It, But This One Is Mine.

torga

Autocross Champion
So I have a slow oil leak that I've only been semi-successful in tracing. It seems to be coming from somewhere in the front of the engine, as I see some oil hanging on the bottom of the A/C compressor as it comes down, as well as a section right above it. I don't think it could be the upper timing cover - like another user's recent thread - because the top of my head and the surrounding area around the cover are bone dry.
However, there's a part somewhat behind the alternator and to the right of the oil filter that looks like several 1/8" plates fastened together. I'm unsure what this part is, but there's a small amount of oil on top of it, and a bit underneath it, similar to the A/C compressor. I was unable to get a good shot of the bottom of this piece.

Attached are some of the photos I took.
First, is the bottom of the A/C compressor with oil hanging from it.
Second, is slightly above the compressor, which also has some oil hanging from it.
Third, is a clear shot of the part that looks like several plates.
Fourth, is a shot of the oil on top of this piece.
Fifth, is where the oil is pooling on my belly pan. Directly above this area is the accessory side of the engine.

This oil is getting blown back and coating the bottom of my oil pan as well as hanging from the Torx sockets on many of the oil pan screws.

Does anyone have any ideas on a potential source for this leak?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_102555.jpg
    IMG_20200111_102555.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8,218
  • IMG_20200111_102609.jpg
    IMG_20200111_102609.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG_20200111_102742.jpg
    IMG_20200111_102742.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,084
  • IMG_20200111_102802.jpg
    IMG_20200111_102802.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 885
  • IMG_20200111_104718.jpg
    IMG_20200111_104718.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,021

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
That part is the oil cooler and there is a $7 gasket for it. I wouldn't think the cooler itself was leaking($208) 06J-117-070-C
Anything above that would have to be part of the head/valve cover/intake mani/fuel rail, figured you would see it running down.

torga

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the part number! Cheap gasket, indeed. Any idea if this is an easy job? Any way to confirm that this gasket is the source?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Might be easiest just to pull the manifold off. So much oil residue all over you might try to clean the crap out of everything and trace it. They have that leak detection spray or dye but I don't have any experience with it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Shit, if I need to pull the mani off I'm wondering if I should budget for an aluminum water pump.

Y'know, since our official motto is: "Well, while I'm there..."

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You can also leak oil and coolant from the accessory bracket oil cooler assembly where it mounts directly to the block. There's a gasket there too, I have had a tiny tiny coolant leak from the top there where it mounts to the block for years now but have just let it go since its a huge PITA., Have to remove intake, mani, a/c compressor and alt just to get to the bolts and maybe some more stuff.

Capture.JPG

torga

Autocross Champion
That would indeed be a massive pain. I really hope that's not my case as well.
Btw, where did you get such a clean, crisp diagram?

torga

Autocross Champion
Dude. That guide is amazing. Such detailed graphics! Thanks for sharing!!

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have a new gasket for the oil cooler if you want it. PM me your address and I will send it to you free of charge.
I have had issues with my oil cooler, leaking water not oil. There are also 2 little bungs that attach the cooler to the water pump iirc. My cooler leaked because I put new block in and had to swap all my parts over.
Have you checked the little round cover for the camshaft? Not exactly sure what it does but it's at the top of the upper timing cover. There is an o ring that can start leaking and everything ends up at the bottom of block.
Best bet is wash it all of go for a little drive and then start at highest point and work your way down.
That cooler is a pita to get off, the back bolts are hell. You should go ahead and get alum pump because it has to come off as well as the intake. It's not difficult, just hard as there are bolts that have to be taken out by feel.
I have done water pumps with intake on, takes about 2 hours. But no way you can do that with oil cooler..
Anyway, lmk if you want this oil gasket..

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm suspecting that this leak may be something with the oil cooler. I noticed that when I let the fluid dry a little bit, it gets slightly tacky. I know coolant gets tacky, but this is definitely not just coolant. If oil and coolant are mixing, oil cooler is starting to sound like the culprit.

If the water pump starts to go, it only leaks coolant, right? Regardless, if I'm going to replace the oil cooler, I'll plan on getting the aluminum water pump. I'll also take a peek at my intake valves to see if those need cleaning.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
If oil and coolant were mixing it would be internal in the cooler and you would notice in the fluid. Correct on water pump

torga

Autocross Champion
If oil and coolant were mixing it would be internal in the cooler and you would notice in the fluid. Correct on water pump
Not noticing anything funky (yet) with the coolant color, so I think I may have caught it early. I noticed the coolant level was ever so slightly down in the reservoir (like 3mm), and I for sure fixed the coolant leak I had a couple of months ago, since the leak immediately stopped and coolant level stayed rock solid until now. Things are starting to add up for the oil cooler.

torga

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know which OE manufactures the oil cooler for VW? I'm gonna go ahead and replace both the oil cooler and water pump. Going with the Graf aluminum unit from FCP Euro.

As for the oil cooler, FCP has a Nissens unit in stock, but the price is more than half off from the genuine VW cooler. Any recommendations on oil cooler brand?