GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Any Track Rats Still Active?

kyoo

Ready to race!
I'm running a 17x8.5 wheel, and I wouldn't want any wider with the stock fenders. The size of the really depends on the model you run, because each one runs slightly different despite being the same size on papaer. For example my Yokohama AD08R size 225/45R17 ran extremely wide for their size, whereas the Nitto NT01 were more true to their size. You can look at manufacturers treadwidth tables on their websites to confirm.
cool - i have been looking at 18x8.5's, with 255/35-18s. i think it'll be close, it's +45, prob gonna go with RS4s or RE71Rs.

jay745

track sl00t
All, thanks for the RS4 recommendation, they absolutely exceeded my expectations. I was eating up everything in the corners from modified FRSs to Porsche 911s. It was fun to give point bys to cars with double or triple the horsepower my car has only to be on their bumper half way through the next series of corners.

I‘m astounded at how capable this car is on a track with minimal chassis upgrades. My car is definitely ready for a bump in horsepower.
Told ya, they are truly amazing tires.
cool - i have been looking at 18x8.5's, with 255/35-18s. i think it'll be close, it's +45, prob gonna go with RS4s or RE71Rs.
If you're tracking and not just autocross id skip the re71r. They heat up way too fast. You only get one or 2 solid laps from them before they grease up.

kyoo

Ready to race!
Told ya, they are truly amazing tires.

If you're tracking and not just autocross id skip the re71r. They heat up way too fast. You only get one or 2 solid laps from them before they grease up.
i've had decent results on mine from the evo lap after lap, but definitely for the longevity i'm going to go with rs4s for the mk6r

WalkerT

Ready to race!
Question is there any benefit to having your RSB parallel to the ground? The physics tell my brain no but just want to make sure.

once I removed the preload I left the bar pointed down a little. I could set it parallel by removing the endlinks setting the bar and shortening the endlinks so no preload. But not going to waste the time if it does not change the functionality.

torga

Autocross Newbie
Question is there any benefit to having your RSB parallel to the ground? The physics tell my brain no but just want to make sure.

once I removed the preload I left the bar pointed down a little. I could set it parallel by removing the endlinks setting the bar and shortening the endlinks so no preload. But not going to waste the time if it does not change the functionality.
The farther from parallel the bar gets the stiffer it's going act.
Ah man, this age-old question. I thought the consensus was the closer to 90 degrees between the ARB and endlink, the more efficiently the suspension will utilize the bar. This, of course, is not possible in every car. So closest to 90 degrees is best. This makes perfect sense when thought about as a simple torque arm, which an ARB can be simplified to using a free-body diagram.

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, that's basically what I was trying to say.

Ah man, this age-old question. I thought the consensus was the closer to 90 degrees between the ARB and endlink, the more efficiently the suspension will utilize the bar. This, of course, is not possible in every car. So closest to 90 degrees is best. This makes perfect sense when thought about as a simple torque arm, which an ARB can be simplified to using a free-body diagram.

kyoo

Ready to race!
what kind of reliability mods have you guys done? i'm looking into some cooling stuff on the R, but it seems like it's pretty stout for the most part, as long as I keep up the maintenance

jay745

track sl00t
what kind of reliability mods have you guys done? i'm looking into some cooling stuff on the R, but it seems like it's pretty stout for the most part, as long as I keep up the maintenance
Aluminum radiator, oil cooler, accusump,catch can, water meth

jay745

track sl00t
mk6's oil starve? i assume the pan is similar even though the engine is different.
They do yes, especially if your run slicks. There's a few different baffled oil pans out there but I think an accusump does a better job at combating it.

kyoo

Ready to race!
They do yes, especially if your run slicks. There's a few different baffled oil pans out there but I think an accusump does a better job at combating it.
sadly couldn't find any for the mk6r (ea113). not crazy about the accusump way

kyoo

Ready to race!
For the sake of discussion, what don't you like about running an accusump?
preference mainly. dont like the idea of injecting cold oil into the motor when the time comes, more potential points for failure, etc. i have an aftermarket oil pan in the evo that's added about 2qts of oil capacity, trap doors, baffles, etc.

kyoo

Ready to race!
got a bunch of stuff coming in the mail - motegi mr140s in 18x8.5 +45, 255/35-18 Rs4s, stoptech slotted rotors and stoptech sport pads, stud conversion kit, lug nuts, vorshlag camber/caster plate, h & r 26mm rear sway bar..

idea is to leave power where it is (stg2) add camber plates & rsb, and see how it does on the first outing. may find that the pads aren't good enough to hold up, so we'll see. full flush & maint workup also coming up. will scrub everything in at a few autoxes before my first track day prob in may.

Ronnie_B

Ready to race!
got a bunch of stuff coming in the mail - motegi mr140s in 18x8.5 +45, 255/35-18 Rs4s, stoptech slotted rotors and stoptech sport pads, stud conversion kit, lug nuts, vorshlag camber/caster plate, h & r 26mm rear sway bar..

idea is to leave power where it is (stg2) add camber plates & rsb, and see how it does on the first outing. may find that the pads aren't good enough to hold up, so we'll see. full flush & maint workup also coming up. will scrub everything in at a few autoxes before my first track day prob in may.
I think you’ll find that the stoptech sport (309 series) pads are not aggressive enough for extended track use. I’ve tried to run them and once you get past the beginner level, the pads don’t fair well. I never lost my brakes, but the friction level drops way off and you have to use so much pedal effort that it’s exhausting for a 20-30 minute session.

ChrisAttebery

Go Kart Newbie
I'm curious to see how the stock Brembo FM1000 pads hold up at Laguna Seca next week. They work extremely well on the street and autoX. The initial bite is almost too much for the street.

kyoo

Ready to race!
I think you’ll find that the stoptech sport (309 series) pads are not aggressive enough for extended track use. I’ve tried to run them and once you get past the beginner level, the pads don’t fair well. I never lost my brakes, but the friction level drops way off and you have to use so much pedal effort that it’s exhausting for a 20-30 minute session.
Thanks for the heads up - I figured they'd be too light, going to watch them closely. Hopefully I can be doing enough trail braking that I am pretty light on them, but yea I am expecting to have to switch pads