GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I found great deal on an 034 25.4mm rear sway bar and end links last week ($175). I got it installed on Friday morning. This was the last suspension upgrade I'd like to do to the car.

On Saturday I attended the SCCA Test and Tune at Crows Landing. I got about 17 runs over the day. My slowest time was 83.XXX and my fastest was 79.5XX. There was a guy with a 2018 Cayman S on RE-71Rs parked next to me and we traded rides a couple times. He was consistently in the 72s range. I'm pretty happy with the car at this point. I feel like I'm getting everything I can out of the all season tires. I could alter my lines by adjusting the throttle and got the slightest bit of off throttle oversteer when I was really pushing it. I definitely need to buy a set of dedicated autoX/track tires next season.

Here's the video from my fastest run:

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Anyone using the hot Advan A052s? supposed to be hot fire and even better than the RE71s.
I'm glad I never hopped on the re71r bandwagon. Everyone I know that uses them at a track days you get one lap out of them before they overheat and become greasy. Sure that one lap is great but not what I'm looking for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hi everyone. New to the forum here. My parents bought me a GTI for my college graduation present. 4Runner is the daily and this GTI will be the racecar. Starting to strip the interior and parts are getting ordered. Has anyone done a DIY front splitter or under tray for aerodynamics?
I've heard r32 underbody tray is a good upgrade, idk if anyone's done a front splitter for actual performance though

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jay745

I have an r32 under tray but I'm looking to trade it. Doesn't fit well with my chassis bracing. I didn't notice any difference at the track with it though.

My buddy and I rigged up a chassis mounted front splitter on his mk5. Can hold my body weight on it easily, would be very similar on the mk6.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'm glad I never hopped on the re71r bandwagon. Everyone I know that uses them at a track days you get one lap out of them before they overheat and become greasy. Sure that one lap is great but not what I'm looking for.

I had heard a few mention that here or there, but for that year or two, they were still considered essentially the best tire in that group and performed well. Now the torch seems passed to the Advans lol.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have an r32 under tray but I'm looking to trade it. Doesn't fit well with my chassis bracing. I didn't notice any difference at the track with it though.

My buddy and I rigged up a chassis mounted front splitter on his mk5. Can hold my body weight on it easily, would be very similar on the mk6.

That's a nice looking setup.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Spent Thursday and Friday at VIR for the last track event of the season. We ran the Grand Course (aka VIRburgring) the first day and the Full Course on the second. This was my first time on track since switching over to Nitto NT01 R-comps, and man what a difference. :eek: Dropped 5 seconds off my personal best on the Grand Course and the car just felt so solid. The second day was very cold and breezy, but still set a personal best on the full course, but only by about 1.5 seconds. I know the car has a 3.15 range potential on the Grand Course, but it'll have to wait until the Spring. ;)

Here's one of my better laps on the Grand Course deep in the session once I cleared through some traffic.

Last edited:

jay745

Spent Thursday and Friday at VIR for the last track event of the season. We ran the Grand Course (aka VIRburgring) the first day and the Full Course on the second. This was my first time on track since switching over to Nitto NT01 R-comps, and man what a difference. :eek: Dropped 5 seconds off my personal best on the Grand Course and the car just felt so solid. The second day was very cold and breezy, but still set a personal best on the full course, but only by about 1.5 seconds. I know the car has a 3.15 range potential on the Grand Course, but it'll have to wait until the Spring. ;)

Here's one of my better laps on the Grand Course deep in the session once I cleared through some traffic.

Nice, I really want to go to VIR, looks so fun. I think you're leaving a few seconds on the track though by turning in early. You can carry more exit speed with a later apex. Nice driving overall

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Nice, I really want to go to VIR, looks so fun. I think you're leaving a few seconds on the track though by turning in early. You can carry more exit speed with a later apex. Nice driving overall

I'm definitely leaving a few seconds out there. My best time on the Grand Course is 3:18, and it should be closer to 3:15 with my setup. That said, this was my first day on R-comps (Nitto NT-01s) and I had to sort of recalibrate my turn in and braking points because these tires are so direct and responsive. With my old Yoko AD08R, I would turn in and there wouldn't be an immediate response, so I've gotten into the habit of turning in slightly early because I knew I'd understeer a bit. With these Nittos it's such an amazing level of grip.

VIR, especially the Grand Course is just so technical with all of the off-camber turns. Some of them you absolutely have to turn in early because the camber of the corner changes the further outward you go, the right hander into the roller coaster is this way. Let me know if you ever decide to visit there, it's my favorite track by far.

Last edited:

jay745

I'm definitely leaving a few seconds out there. My best time on the Grand Course is 3:18, and it should be closer to 3:15 with my setup. That said, this was my first day on R-comps (Nitto NT-01s) and I had to sort of recalibrate my turn in and braking points because these tires are so direct and responsive. With my old Yoko AD08R, I would turn in and there wouldn't be an immediate response, so I've gotten into the habit of turning in slightly early because I knew I'd understeer a bit. With these Nittos it's such an amazing level of grip.

VIR, especially the Grand Course is just so technical with all of the off-camber turns. Some of them you absolutely have to turn in early because the camber of the corner changes the further outward you go, the right hander into the roller coaster is this way. Let me know if you ever decide to visit there, it's make favorite track by far.
Oh I totally get the off camber reasons then. My favorite track that I've been to Grattan is the same.

Id love to try and make it to vir next season!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Public announcement: Turn 12 at Road Atlanta is absolutely terrifying in the rain.

After you crest the hill you get a split second to decide if you can take the normal line or if there’s a pond on the apex that’ll send you hydroplaning into the wall.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
All, thanks for the RS4 recommendation, they absolutely exceeded my expectations. I was eating up everything in the corners from modified FRSs to Porsche 911s. It was fun to give point bys to cars with double or triple the horsepower my car has only to be on their bumper half way through the next series of corners.

I‘m astounded at how capable this car is on a track with minimal chassis upgrades. My car is definitely ready for a bump in horsepower.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
fellow junkies - i'm exploring different cars to start tracking this off season, and i think the mk6r is a really attractive option. my other cars are an evo 9 and an m3, all of which see track time as well. while the evo is often up and down as work is done on it, i think the mk6r could prove to be a really good corollary to the evo.

with an ecu tune, rear sway bar, haldex tune, and esp defeat through coding, does that sound like a good mix? of course with pads and wheels/tires also. re: esp defeat, i am looking to do the full, true defeat, as the evo has no intrusion, and i run the m3 fully off as well

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
fellow junkies - i'm exploring different cars to start tracking this off season, and i think the mk6r is a really attractive option. my other cars are an evo 9 and an m3, all of which see track time as well. while the evo is often up and down as work is done on it, i think the mk6r could prove to be a really good corollary to the evo.

with an ecu tune, rear sway bar, haldex tune, and esp defeat through coding, does that sound like a good mix? of course with pads and wheels/tires also. re: esp defeat, i am looking to do the full, true defeat, as the evo has no intrusion, and i run the m3 fully off as well

I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed. My last track car was an STI and I’m not at all disappointed with how the Golf chassis runs at the track.

If I were you though, I would consider a fresh set of dampers and a matching front swaybar. If you’re smooth these cars easily rotate mid corner. Even stock my GTI would be happy to spin if I didn’t keep the rear nailed down with the throttle.

Also inspect the front control arm bushings, particularly the ones in the rear position. When these wear out they cause some pretty excessive toe deflection during braking and cornering. Thankfully they’re easy to replace and aren’t expensive.