GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed. My last track car was an STI and I’m not at all disappointed with how the Golf chassis runs at the track.

If I were you though, I would consider a fresh set of dampers and a matching front swaybar. If you’re smooth these cars easily rotate mid corner. Even stock my GTI would be happy to spin if I didn’t keep the rear nailed down with the throttle.

Also inspect the front control arm bushings, particularly the ones in the rear position. When these wear out they cause some pretty excessive toe deflection during braking and cornering. Thankfully they’re easy to replace and aren’t expensive.

thanks - i'm trying to keep costs low on this one, but bushings will def be on the list, thanks for the reminder. interesting on the willingness to rotate - have you done the true ESP off mod? i'm going to try to make this a true dually, a spare set of wheels/tires, swapping out pads for track, etc. the switchable haldex controller is neat, but pretty clunky. i don't expect to need any modes except eco and competition, lol. is there another option where u can switch with button tricks rather than a touch screen thing?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
thanks - i'm trying to keep costs low on this one, but bushings will def be on the list, thanks for the reminder. interesting on the willingness to rotate - have you done the true ESP off mod? i'm going to try to make this a true dually, a spare set of wheels/tires, swapping out pads for track, etc. the switchable haldex controller is neat, but pretty clunky. i don't expect to need any modes except eco and competition, lol. is there another option where u can switch with button tricks rather than a touch screen thing?

I haven’t coded the ABS module to defeat ESP just yet, but I haven’t found it to be much of a bother at the track. It’s only ever annoyed me on the street when I’m just goofing around and I want to throw the tail out for giggles. If it engages and I’m driving seriously I take it as a hint that I could be opening the throttle sooner. I’ve also found that it occasionally freaks out for no reason around highly banked corners, but it’s more a distraction than a hindrance.

To be sure that I’m being clear, while these cars will rotate mid corner, you’re probably not going to get the same kind of rotation at turn in while trail braking as you get with your EVO. These cars come with long, progressive rate bumpstops that tend to cause understeer while turning and braking at the same time. That said it’s very manageable and easy to modulate, but until you get to messing with spring rates and bumpstops it’s a handling trait you have to drive around. It’s not something I mind as I prefer my car’s balance to be on the safe side of neutral, particularly while on the brakes.

As far as the different modes go I’m afraid I have no idea. My GTI didn’t come with any of that so I have no idea how it all works.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I haven’t coded the ABS module to defeat ESP just yet, but I haven’t found it to be much of a bother at the track. It’s only ever annoyed me on the street when I’m just goofing around and I want to throw the tail out for giggles. If it engages and I’m driving seriously I take it as a hint that I could be opening the throttle sooner. I’ve also found that it occasionally freaks out for no reason around highly banked corners, but it’s more a distraction than a hindrance.

To be sure that I’m being clear, while these cars will rotate mid corner, you’re probably not going to get the same kind of rotation at turn in while trail braking as you get with your EVO. These cars come with long, progressive rate bumpstops that tend to cause understeer while turning and braking at the same time. That said it’s very manageable and easy to modulate, but until you get to messing with spring rates and bumpstops it’s a handling trait you have to drive around. It’s not something I mind as I prefer my car’s balance to be on the safe side of neutral, particularly while on the brakes.

As far as the different modes go I’m afraid I have no idea. My GTI didn’t come with any of that so I have no idea how it all works.
great info, thanks. i like that every car has different quirks. definitely will need to do some research, but i've got time, it woudln't be until late spring that i purchase one anyway. need to go through a general buyer's guide too for maint on higher mileage cars

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
what's the widest wheel you guys are running on the mk6's? will 18x8.5 +45 fit, with 245/40? or is that way too tall? Not a lot of short options in 245.. or even 235 for that matter. 255/35 is the right height but may rub i assume

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
what's the widest wheel you guys are running on the mk6's? will 18x8.5 +45 fit, with 245/40? or is that way too tall? Not a lot of short options in 245.. or even 235 for that matter. 255/35 is the right height but may rub i assume

I'm running a 17x8.5 wheel, and I wouldn't want any wider with the stock fenders. The size of the tire really depends on the model you run, because each one runs slightly different despite being the same size on paper. For example my Yokohama AD08R size 225/45R17 ran extremely wide for their size, whereas the Nitto NT01 run more true to their category size. You can look at manufacturers treadwidth tables on their websites to confirm.

Last edited:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I'm running a 17x8.5 wheel, and I wouldn't want any wider with the stock fenders. The size of the really depends on the model you run, because each one runs slightly different despite being the same size on papaer. For example my Yokohama AD08R size 225/45R17 ran extremely wide for their size, whereas the Nitto NT01 were more true to their size. You can look at manufacturers treadwidth tables on their websites to confirm.
cool - i have been looking at 18x8.5's, with 255/35-18s. i think it'll be close, it's +45, prob gonna go with RS4s or RE71Rs.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
All, thanks for the RS4 recommendation, they absolutely exceeded my expectations. I was eating up everything in the corners from modified FRSs to Porsche 911s. It was fun to give point bys to cars with double or triple the horsepower my car has only to be on their bumper half way through the next series of corners.

I‘m astounded at how capable this car is on a track with minimal chassis upgrades. My car is definitely ready for a bump in horsepower.
Told ya, they are truly amazing tires.
cool - i have been looking at 18x8.5's, with 255/35-18s. i think it'll be close, it's +45, prob gonna go with RS4s or RE71Rs.
If you're tracking and not just autocross id skip the re71r. They heat up way too fast. You only get one or 2 solid laps from them before they grease up.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Told ya, they are truly amazing tires.

If you're tracking and not just autocross id skip the re71r. They heat up way too fast. You only get one or 2 solid laps from them before they grease up.
i've had decent results on mine from the evo lap after lap, but definitely for the longevity i'm going to go with rs4s for the mk6r

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Question is there any benefit to having your RSB parallel to the ground? The physics tell my brain no but just want to make sure.

once I removed the preload I left the bar pointed down a little. I could set it parallel by removing the endlinks setting the bar and shortening the endlinks so no preload. But not going to waste the time if it does not change the functionality.

torga

Autocross Champion
Question is there any benefit to having your RSB parallel to the ground? The physics tell my brain no but just want to make sure.

once I removed the preload I left the bar pointed down a little. I could set it parallel by removing the endlinks setting the bar and shortening the endlinks so no preload. But not going to waste the time if it does not change the functionality.
The farther from parallel the bar gets the stiffer it's going act.
Ah man, this age-old question. I thought the consensus was the closer to 90 degrees between the ARB and endlink, the more efficiently the suspension will utilize the bar. This, of course, is not possible in every car. So closest to 90 degrees is best. This makes perfect sense when thought about as a simple torque arm, which an ARB can be simplified to using a free-body diagram.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, that's basically what I was trying to say.

Ah man, this age-old question. I thought the consensus was the closer to 90 degrees between the ARB and endlink, the more efficiently the suspension will utilize the bar. This, of course, is not possible in every car. So closest to 90 degrees is best. This makes perfect sense when thought about as a simple torque arm, which an ARB can be simplified to using a free-body diagram.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys. I will adjust out the angle!

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
what kind of reliability mods have you guys done? i'm looking into some cooling stuff on the R, but it seems like it's pretty stout for the most part, as long as I keep up the maintenance