GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I intend to dial it back a bit, but right now I'm at about 1/8 inch toe out, which an online alignment calculator says is .28 degrees total toe out (.14 degrees per side). It feels as stable as ever and isn't at all darty on the freeway.
Due for an alignment soon, I’ll give it a shot. Anything else you recommend?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Due for an alignment soon, I’ll give it a shot. Anything else you recommend?
2.5 degrees of negative camber sounds nice if you can get it. I can’t, but I’m sure Jay has an idea of what’s good there.

IMO the main benefit of paying for a four wheel alignment is in having a printout that tells you that your thrust angle is good. Adjusting the toe up front without messing anything up is super easy (it’s the rears that are a bit of a pain), all you need is a couple of tape measures and a pair of toe plates. You can easily make these yourself, or Longacre has a nice set for not too much. I was thinking about doing a quick DIY on how to do it, if I’ve got time I’ll take some pictures when I throw my track pads on this week.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Adjusting the toe up front without messing anything up is super easy (it’s the rears that are a bit of a pain), all you need is a couple of tape measures and a pair of toe plates. You can easily make these yourself, or Longacre has a nice set for not too much. I was thinking about doing a quick DIY on how to do it, if I’ve got time I’ll take some pictures when I throw my track pads on this week.

Curious about this. I will be paying for an alignment tomorrow and the only thing that is off currently and can be adjusted in the front is toe. For the price of the alignment I get some nice toe plates and give it a go. Sounds very tedious but I'm sure the more you do it the faster and easier it becomes.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
i have camber plates. running 0 toe, realize i can run a little bit of toe out. around -2.2 degrees of camber in the front. i did two sessions in the golf, switched to the evo, and almost drove off the track not adjusting to how much more responsive the car is. i haven't done the data overlay yet but i think the videos betray the difference in feel between the two cars, the evo scared me the fist time i got back in it, though it was going to turn around in the first corner

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
GTIs understeer a lot from the factory, but you can definitely dial it out or even oversteer with minor changes. I don’t think you need an entire suspension setup to make it feel like you want it to, but it would be a huge improvement nonetheless. The Evo is also well..an Evo...

Start small first. Toe, tires, sway bars, etc. That’s my noob $0.02

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Old fart here going by what memory I have. :unsure: I used to run toe-out on my track cars. On the power no problems tracked straight. Under very hard braking it would be a somewhat darty. I felt it helped turn in. This was a Japanese GTI, Toyota FX16.

On my 2006 MINI I also ran a wee bit of toe-out. Handled great, it was much faster than my last race car. Was my daily driver at that.

Sorry to side track the tread.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Old fart here going by what memory I have. :unsure: I used to run toe-out on my track cars. On the power no problems tracked straight. Under very hard braking it would be a somewhat darty. I felt it helped turn in. This was a Japanese GTI, Toyota FX16.

On my 2006 MINI I also ran a wee bit of toe-out. Handled great, it was much faster than my last race car. Was my daily driver at that.

Sorry to side track the tread.

In that case I should definitely dial back my toe to be at or near 0. The back straight on Road Atlanta ends in a max braking zone going down a fairly steep hill at over 100 mph. My stock GTI hits 115 mph. A stage 2 should easily hit 125 mph, and I imagine a K04 would be up to nearly 140.

The rear end gets really light and loose while standing on the brakes here. It’s manageable, but I can’t imagine dealing with it if my car were much faster.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
i have camber plates. running 0 toe, realize i can run a little bit of toe out. around -2.2 degrees of camber in the front. i did two sessions in the golf, switched to the evo, and almost drove off the track not adjusting to how much more responsive the car is. i haven't done the data overlay yet but i think the videos betray the difference in feel between the two cars, the evo scared me the fist time i got back in it, though it was going to turn around in the first corner
I don’t know for sure, but I’d bet that the EVO has a much quicker steering rack. I don’t recall what the upgrade difference is between the two of your cars, but if you want to get the Golf close it’s going to need front suspension bushings (Audi TT bushings are amazing), swaybars, springs, and good dampers. At my GTI’s level of upgrade I feel like it comes close to being as sharp as my STI was, but then again the STI wasn’t quite as good at turn in as an EVO is

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
AutoX ready. Haven’t really used this thing in the year I’ve owned it, but let’s hope the $50 Chinese GoPro performs! Still adjusting the angle but it’s solid as a rock
6BFA3E68-794E-41FF-AAB2-D9FAC6E1CB6E.jpeg

773206F6-229C-481B-9D6C-CFB7791BE1D2.jpeg

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
What’s the recording quality with it mounted there? Do you get any vibrations in the picture?
I just went for a a quick drive. Gonna edit some of the footage and try to upload it. It’s on a bike handlebar mount with like four extensions that came with it lol, if it’s crummy I’ll fork over the money for a GoPro headrest mount

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I just went for a a quick drive. Gonna edit some of the footage and try to upload it. It’s on a bike handlebar mount with like four extensions that came with it lol, if it’s crummy I’ll fork over the money for a GoPro headrest mount
I only ask because I tried to attach a GoPro Hero Session to a headrest bar like that and what it captured was too shaky to use. I assumed it was because the headrest isn't very firmly mounted in the seat, but at the same time it could just be that my camera's quality is on the lower end.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I just got back from recording again. First time colors were crazy saturated and I forgot it was in the case so audio was garbage. I had some fun with a black challenger 392 scat pack that I hopefully got decent footage of. Round 2 of editing now. Vibrations were barely noticeable on the first run but switched on video stabilization anyways. More to come (y)

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Here ya go! Took forever because I had to do everything on my phone but it came out alright. There’s two videos in one, the first has a few pulls but mainly cruising. The second is a pull and then messing around with a challenger 392 that destroyed me lol. Enjoy! Shot in 1080p @120fps, video stabilization on, windows up and A/C on. Metal clanking is my aluminum water bottle hitting my seat rail in the back.