Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Broadly speaking, and I'm sure Arin isn't in a place to comment for legal reasons, what changes are made between oe DP vs aftermarket DP tunes? i.e. stage 1 vs stage 2, assuming you target the same boost.

Like, is it night-and-day differences, or is it just refinements off the same framework of a stage 1 flash?

I'm running the APR dp with an o2 spacer and it seems to be running perfectly and scoots along just fine; no CELs (I presume that means no codes), no abnormal noises, and no abnormal fuel mileage, oil or water temps.

Edit - installed for approx six months and ~3k mi. driven. 91 octane tune.

thatgolfrguy

Im ready to add my datapoint (RE: Fuel Monitor set on Golf R's)
2019 MK 7.5 Golf R (DCT) with APR DTR6054 (with HFPF/LPFP)
Can confirm that the Fuel System readiness was set. The only readiness not set was the Evap system (although that one takes a bit of driving to set and I have had only a day since the monitors were reset).

So seems like for at least my R, the Fuel System monitor was correctly set and works with the DTR Kit.

*Speculation* But it sounded like the only R's that had issues were pre 2019 R's with the HPFP/LPFP, but I will let Arin comment if he wants.

PXL_20221008_224810279.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Broadly speaking, and I'm sure Arin isn't in a place to comment for legal reasons, what changes are made between oe DP vs aftermarket DP tunes? i.e. stage 1 vs stage 2, assuming you target the same boost.

Like, is it night-and-day differences, or is it just refinements off the same framework of a stage 1 flash?

I'm running the APR dp with an o2 spacer and it seems to be running perfectly and scoots along just fine; no CELs (I presume that means no codes), no abnormal noises, and no abnormal fuel mileage, oil or water temps.

My hypothesis has always been...it was a stage 1 tune with the CEL turned off for the DP. The extra power is the DP.

thatgolfrguy

One weird thing for me. When I went stage 2 with an APR Catted DP, I initially used an O2 spacer, but that threw a CEL. Then I took the O2 spacer of and no more check engine light...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
My hypothesis has always been...it was a stage 1 tune with the CEL turned off for the DP. The extra power is the DP.
I would add that there are likely EGT limits to protect the cat that are removed or lessened as well. Should be some extra power and/or faster spool from that.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
One weird thing for me. When I went stage 2 with an APR Catted DP, I initially used an O2 spacer, but that threw a CEL. Then I took the O2 spacer of and no more check engine light...
When they had stage 2 tunes there was no need for a spacer, that was the whole point of a stage 2 tune.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I would add that there are likely EGT limits to protect the cat that are removed or lessened as well. Should be some extra power and/or faster spool from that.
Certainly could be. I always wanted to test my hypothesis and log a stage 1, stage 1 with a DP, and a stage 2 complete with 1/4 mile numbers.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
There's not much you need to do for a "stage 2" tune. Just disable the P0420 DTC/MIL, the car has a wideband and it'll keep lambda in check. You can also mess with the cat efficiency tables but most people just disable the code.
Easy enough to search through datazap, e.g. EQT stage 1 vs stage 2 is38 tunes both target about 27.5-28psi. Power difference is in the timing

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
There's not much you need to do for a "stage 2" tune. Just disable the P0420 DTC/MIL, the car has a wideband and it'll keep lambda in check. You can also mess with the cat efficiency tables but most people just disable the code.
Easy enough to search through datazap, e.g. EQT stage 1 vs stage 2 is38 tunes both target about 27.5-28psi. Power difference is in the timing
Thank you. Would timing be something that's differentiated for the tune or is that a self-corrective?