GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

apr stage 1 problem

jalgs

Hey guys so I recently flashed apr stage 1 on my gti and its been awesome:thumbup:

I've been searching around the forums for a few days and i cant seem to find my exact problem.

i'm noticing something strange in 3rd and 4th gear during WOT, the revs kind of shoot up around 4-5000 briefly and then come back almost like its sputtering/ or losing traction.(this seems to happen intermittently as it will climb thru the revs fine other times). I tried the 6th gear pull to see if it was indeed my clutch but it seemed to grab and hold the gear just fine. I recently put new plugs in but haven't put the red top packs on yet.

I dont have VAG-COM so i cant monitor it :(

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

zrickety

The Fixer
It's your clutch. Chances are in 6th gear you are not hitting the power band. You need to back off the gas or change your driving style if you want those parts to last.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
4k rpm is pretty much the tail end of peak torque. Like zrickety said ..... Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Agree with these guys, that's the main symptom of a slipping clutch.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Yup. sounds like a slipping clutch. I just get flashed with stage 1 Revo last friday... and now my clutch is slipping too.

Theres a couple checks you can do:

1. on the highway in 6th gear around 2,500 RPM's, do a WOT run. If your rpm's are going all over the place and the speedo isn't... your clutch is slipping.

2. While stationary put it in 5th gear and slowly release clutch till you stall. If it stalls 1/3 of the way up then your clutch is good. 1/2 to all the way.... your clutch is going, you need a new one.

I'm pissed that mine is slipping now.... I gotta get a southbend stage 2 endurence clutch next (K04 in the future)... look at around $1,800 with parts and labor.

jalgs

gahhh yeah thats what i was afraid of... I thought I'd have a few thousand miles before it would slip, instead of less than a week.

You guys think that 30,000 miles is too many for the southbend stage 3 drop in disc? i really dont plan on going more than stage 2.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
gahhh yeah thats what i was afraid of... I thought I'd have a few thousand miles before it would slip, instead of less than a week.

You guys think that 30,000 miles is too many for the southbend stage 3 drop in disc? i really dont plan on going more than stage 2.

I don't think its about how many miles but rather how long/bad your clutch slip is. That drop in clutch resuses the stock duel-mass flywheel and if you leave your clutch slipping for too long it could wreck the flywheel too. This is my understanding.

If your staying just stage 2 then the drop in clutch should be alright. But if you want to go above stage 2... I wouldn't use the drop-in cause that will eventually start to slip too.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I don't think its about how many miles but rather how long/bad your clutch slip is. That drop in clutch resuses the stock duel-mass flywheel and if you leave your clutch slipping for too long it could wreck the flywheel too. This is my understanding.

If your staying just stage 2 then the drop in clutch should be alright. But if you want to go above stage 2... I wouldn't use the drop-in cause that will eventually start to slip too.

Andddd my coil packs gave out on my way home from work today, at least I made it home.

I was hoping to go stage 1 without any problems... but instead get a slipping clutch and blown coil packs. Good thing my red top R8 coils will be here tomorrow. I took the advice of my tuner and order new coilpacks the next day... good thing I did.

I went stage 1 and 3 days later my clutch began to slip and 5 days later my coils went. I thought for a second that maybe it really wasn't clutch slip and just my coils but on 2nd thought... I'm almost positive its 2 different issues.

jalgs

damn that sucks man, you should report back if the coilpacks do anything for you.

i managed to take a video of my problem on the way back from work today.
It sure seems like clutch slip

https://youtu.be/d_2kUs7x7oA

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Yup that's what I had going on and then my coils went the next day. I believe that's clutch slip though. We'll know if it's the coilpacks if your go in the next few days too

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I got the new coil packs today and fixed my misfiring cylinder. I knew 1 of my coils gave out. But my clutch is definitely still slipping.

It'll only do it in 5th and 6th gear and at close to WOT. 4th might do it too at WOT but I've been baby'ing it.

I didn't want to get a clutch so early on but its gotta happen sometime since I plan on putting a K04 in this.

jalgs

I got the new coil packs today and fixed my misfiring cylinder. I knew 1 of my coils gave out. But my clutch is definitely still slipping.

It'll only do it in 5th and 6th gear and at close to WOT. 4th might do it too at WOT but I've been baby'ing it.

I didn't want to get a clutch so early on but its gotta happen sometime since I plan on putting a K04 in this.

Yeah, I'm still slipping in the same gears as you. looks like I'll be going back to stock and saving for a new clutch:(