GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 tune

Giuseppe

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

I live in Manitoba, Canada so as you can imagine I don't have a lot of options when it comes to tunes. The only APR dealer in Manitoba quoted me $895 Canadian dollars for stage 1. They said I'd get free stage two if I bought the down pipe. $895 seems like a lot. Am I wrong? Is that the typical cost?

They quoted me $495 for the Carbonio intake (stage 1) and $350 (stage 2). $1,800 for the APR inter cooler. I'm hoping that some of you Canadians who tuned your cars will have an idea if these prices are typical.

Thank you in advance!

G

Giuseppe

Passed Driver's Ed
Also! He suggested I get the 94 tune and run 91 gas. 94 gas is difficult to find in Manitoba. They said people do this all the time and are fine. Any comments on this?

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
I'm in the states so I probably won't be too much help, but I'll try the best I can using a currency converter:
Here, a stage 1 Carbonio costs about $325 USD (about $426 CAD). The stage 2 part is $225 USD (about $295 CAD) and the intercooler is $1050 USD (about $1376 CAD).

A stage 1 tune with only one file in the U.S. costs $600 USD (~$787 CAD).

There's a possibility that your prices are higher due to it being a foreign market, or maybe they include labor, but they seem a little steep. I hope someone from Canada chimes in lol

BenM@Unitronic

Have you looked into Unitronic software and hardware options?

stage 1 : 550 $ can
Uniconnect+ 198.99$ : that will allow you to flash your car at home without the need of a dealer ( save on labor cost). It will also allow you to upgrade to stage 1+ and stage 2 whenever you need.

Just to compare some price the intercooler is : 909.99$ can

It's also a canadian based company just to let you know! :)

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Giuseppe

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you looked into Unitronic software and hardware options?

stage 1 : 550 $ can
Uniconnect+ 198.99$ : that will allow you to flash your car at home without the need of a dealer ( save on labor cost). It will also allow you to upgrade to stage 1+ and stage 2 whenever you need.

Just to compare some price the intercooler is : 909.99$ can

It's also a canadian based company just to let you know! :)

Thank you for the info. I was considering Unitronic but the closest dealers are in Alberta or Ontario. There's a few in northern US but it still requires a lot of driving which I don't really have time for. I considered the Uniconnect+ a few times now. However, I read that you have to go into a dealer to get the car tuned in order to work with the Uniconnect in the first place. Am I wrong?

So I would have to buy the Uniconnect+ for $198.99 and then purchase the tune on top of that correct? And stage 1+ and 2 would be an additional charge?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

BenM@Unitronic

Thank you for the info. I was considering Unitronic but the closest dealers are in Alberta or Ontario. There's a few in northern US but it still requires a lot of driving which I don't really have time for. I considered the Uniconnect+ a few times now. However, I read that you have to go into a dealer to get the car tuned in order to work with the Uniconnect in the first place. Am I wrong?

So I would have to buy the Uniconnect+ for $198.99 and then purchase the tune on top of that correct? And stage 1+ and 2 would be an additional charge?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

No you don’t have to go originally to a dealer in order to get the first tune. You could get in touch with one of your closest dealer and they would ship everything to you directly. This is one of the greatest thing about Uniconnect+.

Yes you are right , if you want to upgrade later on you would have to purchase the upgrade.

Giuseppe

Passed Driver's Ed
So, if I want to go stage 2 eventually it probably makes more sense for me to save up for the down pipe and intake then go straight to stage 2 right? Otherwise I have to buy stage 1 then spend another ~$650 for stage 2. What would you guys suggest?

Andrew2834

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure how you would feel about eurodyne. Buddy of mine has it, he just paid 600 and had it shipped to his door and it came with a kit to install the tune himself. No driving required. That will save you some. Or you can go Cobb?

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
So, if I want to go stage 2 eventually it probably makes more sense for me to save up for the down pipe and intake then go straight to stage 2 right? Otherwise I have to buy stage 1 then spend another ~$650 for stage 2. What would you guys suggest?

To upgrade from Stage 1+ to Stage 2, it is $100. We have an upgrade pricing chart on our website under your vehicle's year, make, model, and engine that reviews the pricing to upgrade.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would shop around for a good used intake, it is worthwhile for stage 1. Get a nice catback if you want sound and skip the downpipe. Being in Canada, I would skip the intercooler too.

Last edited:

Giuseppe

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a used Carbonio 1 off kijiji for $250. So intake is good to go. I'm thinking about saving up for a down pipe next then going straight to stage 2. No use in wasting $100-150 upgrading from stage 1 to stage 2 in 3-6 months.

I always wondered how a 3" down pipe gives hp benefit when the cat back is still 2.5" or whatever. Wouldn't the cat back restrict exhaust?