GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 3 GTX Cut Out

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
So I Just got my car back on the road after being stored for the past like 4 or so years. When I put it away it ran flawlessly.

So about a week ago I got it back on the road after changing the oil, discovering the water pump was leaking, replacing said water pump and coolant obviously. The past week I been driving it around in the "stock" program and taking it very easy. Slowly leaning into it more and more each day. That brings us to today...after the past week being fine and having run a full tank of fresh 93 empty and filling up again I decided to through it in 91 octane program. So the car pulls strong and makes correct boost but hits a wall around 5500rpm. All power is lost and it lets out a loud crack. Anybody have any ideas? I am thinking ignition problem. Maybe spark being blown out by turbo? I have all supporting mods and correct plugs. Hell the car only has 37k miles and I only put about 3k miles on the stage 3 kit before I stored it.

I been out of this game for awhile so I forget a lot of the knowledge I once had. I guess I should probably run some logs but it might be a few days before I can do that.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Scan for codes and when you have the time, run logs. Otherwise it's speculation. Good luck!

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Should have said...not throwing any codes
Gotcha. Well, I guess logs are the next step. I hope it’s something simple and inexpensive.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
What tune?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So I Just got my car back on the road after being stored for the past like 4 or so years. When I put it away it ran flawlessly.

So about a week ago I got it back on the road after changing the oil, discovering the water pump was leaking, replacing said water pump and coolant obviously. The past week I been driving it around in the "stock" program and taking it very easy. Slowly leaning into it more and more each day. That brings us to today...after the past week being fine and having run a full tank of fresh 93 empty and filling up again I decided to through it in 91 octane program. So the car pulls strong and makes correct boost but hits a wall around 5500rpm. All power is lost and it lets out a loud crack. Anybody have any ideas? I am thinking ignition problem. Maybe spark being blown out by turbo? I have all supporting mods and correct plugs. Hell the car only has 37k miles and I only put about 3k miles on the stage 3 kit before I stored it.

I been out of this game for awhile so I forget a lot of the knowledge I once had. I guess I should probably run some logs but it might be a few days before I can do that.
Wow 4 years of storage. Was this car started and run regularly during that time? If not, was the car put away in dry, temp controlled storage? If not started regularly, did you fill up the gas tank before storing it?

Yes logging is the answer. However there are common issues with long term storage. 4 years, depending on how the car was stored can see deterioration of rubber parts, especially vacuum tubing but I would check out everything rubber from boost hoses / clamps to coolant lines. If the car was not run and tucked away with only a partial tank of gas you might have a bit of rust in tank, might have clogged injectors. Just throwing out possible storage issues.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
no, it was in my garage but it is not temp controlled. Everything else seems fine. No leaks (other than the water pump which is fixed) and it is making boost though I suppose a test would not be a bad idea.

I was driving yesterday and got a code p0088 code for fuel pressure too high

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Did you do the installation work yourself or did a shop do it? Maybe take things apart to further check for any deterioration?