GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are stock brakes supposed to be TERRIBLE?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
i have smaller brakes on my TDI and i think they are terrible. Once they go i am definitely getting larger rotors. I do not know why, but for some reason the back brakes fade more quickly than the fronts. VW is a little backwards on this one.

I did the 312mm GTI swap on my TDI and it is night and day different, I wish I did it sooner, especially since it's so cheap to do.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I did the 312mm GTI swap on my TDI and it is night and day different, I wish I did it sooner, especially since it's so cheap to do.

how much and where from?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
No problem, glad to help :) Also looks much better behind nice wheels, TDI brakes are tiny!

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
For the guys talking about tracking: on the one hand I'm not tracking and I feel like I should make the dealer man up and fix the stupid stock brakes. On the other hand, I almost don't know if it's worth bothering since I'll likely want to replace them with BETTER aftermarket brakes down the road. It's almost principle of the matter. And the fact I don't want to go spend $$$ on a car I just bought because something is wrong with it that shouldn't be.

What are you guys doing for rotors? I've read several threads (including grambles). Do you guys like slotted rotors? I'm considering slotted centrics and stoptech pads. On my Forester I had centric blanks and HPS and they were OK, but not outstanding (Forester brakes are soft compared to STis anyhow).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I wouldn't get em if you're not going to track.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
What are you guys doing for rotors? I've read several threads (including grambles). Do you guys like slotted rotors? I'm considering slotted centrics and stoptech pads. On my Forester I had centric blanks and HPS and they were OK, but not outstanding (Forester brakes are soft compared to STis anyhow).

If you are not tracking the car the most effective rotors are drilled and slotted. They have shown a proven reduction in stoping distance and thermal stability. That being said, if you do track the car they have a high probability of cracking over time, but will be a non issue on a steet GTI. In 2006 there was an SAE technical study conducted on the subject ( ref. 2006-01-0691 )

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I had heard that drilled had the potential to crack but didn't know if they had improved over the years (due to manufacturing process improvements). Are slotted prone to that too? I'm not saying I'll never track it, but autocross is likely the worse it would ever see if I did.

Last edited:

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Tests are back. Performed multiple stops from about 55mph to 15mph, fairly hard but not ABS inducing.

5 stops had all four brakes embarrassingly smelly, like I had just ridden the brakes for 10 miles down a mountain. As soon as I stopped I could smell them.

7 stops and they were starting to lose their grip. I could tell with the last stop, and sure enough when I came up to a stop sign I went about 10 feet further than the brakes normally would have.

Don't know what the dealership will think of that. Whether they'll agree that's sub-par performance or if they'll say I'm abusing them and shouldn't be doing that *eyeroll*

A_Bowers

Tests are back. Performed multiple stops from about 55mph to 15mph, fairly hard but not ABS inducing.

5 stops had all four brakes embarrassingly smelly, like I had just ridden the brakes for 10 miles down a mountain. As soon as I stopped I could smell them.

7 stops and they were starting to lose their grip. I could tell with the last stop, and sure enough when I came up to a stop sign I went about 10 feet further than the brakes normally would have.

Don't know what the dealership will think of that. Whether they'll agree that's sub-par performance or if they'll say I'm abusing them and shouldn't be doing that *eyeroll*

I keep saying it. Pads and bushings with OEM blanks.

You can thank me later.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
From what I've read I'm a believer in the bushings, stoptech pads, but I'm not sold on OEM blanks yet. I need to research who makes them, etc. I will also say, however, I put centrix rotors on my Forester and wasn't overly impressed. They were just OK.

Where's a good place to get stoptech pads? All I see on tirerack are the front pads.