GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are stock brakes supposed to be TERRIBLE?

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
From what I've read I'm a believer in the bushings, stoptech pads, but I'm not sold on OEM blanks yet. I need to research who makes them, etc. I will also say, however, I put centrix rotors on my Forester and wasn't overly impressed. They were just OK.

Where's a good place to get stoptech pads? All I see on tirerack are the front pads.

carpartkings.com is a great place to get them. i believe they're about $95 shipped. (10% off with - COLUMBUSDAY12)

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
I keep trying that site but when I select 2011 VW GTI, it will only show me other brands of brake pads. Won't show me any Stoptech pads. If I do a search for stoptech pads, it shows me Centrix rotors. Site seems real screwy to me.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
You know, I was wondering about that since some of the verbiage (product description) on tirerack was exactly the same for both rotors! I did the 'contact us' on the carpartkings page. Don't know why stoptech pads aren't showing up under pads unless they don't technically list them as fitting a 2011 GTI. Any ideas?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Front pads are the same for all Golfs, GTI, 2.5, and TDI. Golf R has different pads, not sure why site is screwed. Rears are different on 2011 on up.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
You know, I was wondering about that since some of the verbiage (product description) on tirerack was exactly the same for both rotors! I did the 'contact us' on the carpartkings page. Don't know why stoptech pads aren't showing up under pads unless they don't technically list them as fitting a 2011 GTI. Any ideas?

i'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

Centric=Stoptech.

Stoptech is more or less the sports division of Centric. So the centric pads you see on carpartkings.com are stoptech. I've ordered from carpartkings.com as have some other members. We've all received stoptech pads.

And as mentioned by AF-MKVI, 2011+ GTIs have different rear pads by Bosch.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
From what I've read I'm a believer in the bushings, stoptech pads, but I'm not sold on OEM blanks yet. I need to research who makes them, etc. I will also say, however, I put centrix rotors on my Forester and wasn't overly impressed. They were just OK.

Where's a good place to get stoptech pads? All I see on tirerack are the front pads.

I got mine fronts from Rock Auto. Www.rockauto.com

They are centric 309.11070 which say stoptech street perf. $56.

I forgot the part number for the 2011+ rears... I better dig that up again. Rock didn't have them when they first came out and I spent too much at Neuspeed.

Edit found the rears for 2011+ at rock to.

CENTRIC Part # 30914560**
StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads
Rear
$36.79

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Oh and +1 to stoptech pads all around with bronze bushing. I also got stainless steel cables and some superblue. Got it all upgraded the same time as my stage 1 ecu a year ago and the brakes have felt great on spirited runs, much better than they were stock in feel, bite, and fade. Definitely a great upgrade from pure stock.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Tests are back. Performed multiple stops from about 55mph to 15mph, fairly hard but not ABS inducing.

5 stops had all four brakes embarrassingly smelly, like I had just ridden the brakes for 10 miles down a mountain. As soon as I stopped I could smell them.

7 stops and they were starting to lose their grip. I could tell with the last stop, and sure enough when I came up to a stop sign I went about 10 feet further than the brakes normally would have.

Don't know what the dealership will think of that. Whether they'll agree that's sub-par performance or if they'll say I'm abusing them and shouldn't be doing that *eyeroll*

This is normal. You get about 3 good stops before you start to smell them and half a dozen before they start to fade.

FWIW the OEM rotors held up perfectly to vicious use with track pads, I wouldn't bother with anything more fancy for street or track unless you want the look of drilled rotors.

ian dummy

Ready to race!
I have to echo what others are saying. A good set of higher performance pads are more than enough. I have run either the stoptech sports or hawk hps pads for years with no issues even on stock rotors.

i get most of my brake stuff from raceshopper.com they have the lowest prices in almost all cases.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Stock brakes are MORE than adequate for the Tail of the Dragon. I ran the hell out of the car out there and never ever experienced the sign of brake fade.

Same here....Though I eventually upgraded the calipers just because I wanted better brake feel, and found a deal on a set of Brembos.

To the OP, Since you bought the car used you have no idea how the car was treated before, or what pads might be on there if they were changed out. How many miles on it? Serious glazing or cheezy pads could be your problem. What you're experiencing is not normal. Sounds like you tried re-bedding them. As recommended, Buy some better pads.. Good techniques and other technical info here:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers

McQueen77

Banned
OP: lot of wannabe racecar drivers on here who have delusions of being pro drivers or something but in reality the stock brakes are fine. they aren't as good as bmw brakes but theyre fine. you could upgrade and they'd be better, but they are fin for normal driving which, lets be honest, is most of what you probably do.

pretty much everything that exists related to this car is blown out of proportion on this forum. read this forum for a while and you will notice 10 key points:

1. the brakes are horrible.

2. stage 1 and beyond will make your engine explode and the dealer will gang rape you for it

3. the GTI is 'slow' unless it has k04.

4. the stock OEM clutch is made of swiss cheese and they ALL slip and fail at 10k miles

5. your water pump, HPFP and intake manifold are one key turn away from failure

6. driving a manual in traffic is a hardship equivalent to what the slaves who built the pyramids endured and is to be avoided at all costs. 'DSG FTW BRO LULZ'

7. its normal to want to trade your perfectly nice, practically new car that would last 150k+ miles in after 2 years for an electric car or hybrid and this will save you money

8. 90% of people in America cannot write, speak or use grammar

9. putting an intake on your GTI will make it break the sound barrier and without one, your engine will suffocate and die of asthma

10. people on this forum have a total boner for Fords and KIAs.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
Same here....Though I eventually upgraded the calipers just because I wanted better brake feel, and found a deal on a set of Brembos.

To the OP, Since you bought the car used you have no idea how the car was treated before, or what pads might be on there if they were changed out. How many miles on it? Serious glazing or cheezy pads could be your problem. What you're experiencing is not normal. Sounds like you tried re-bedding them. As recommended, Buy some better pads.. Good techniques and other technical info here:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers

i love those wheels. remind of the ones on the new A5

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OP: lot of wannabe racecar drivers on here who have delusions of being pro drivers or something but in reality the stock brakes are fine. they aren't as good as bmw brakes but theyre fine. you could upgrade and they'd be better, but they are fin for normal driving which, lets be honest, is most of what you probably do.

pretty much everything that exists related to this car is blown out of proportion on this forum. read this forum for a while and you will notice 10 key points:

1. the brakes are horrible.

2. stage 1 and beyond will make your engine explode and the dealer will gang rape you for it

3. the GTI is 'slow' unless it has k04.

4. the stock OEM clutch is made of swiss cheese and they ALL slip and fail at 10k miles

5. your water pump, HPFP and intake manifold are one key turn away from failure

6. driving a manual in traffic is a hardship equivalent to what the slaves who built the pyramids endured and is to be avoided at all costs. 'DSG FTW BRO LULZ'

7. its normal to want to trade your perfectly nice, practically new car that would last 150k+ miles in after 2 years for an electric car or hybrid and this will save you money

8. 90% of people in America cannot write, speak or use grammar

9. putting an intake on your GTI will make it break the sound barrier and without one, your engine will suffocate and die of asthma

10. people on this forum have a total boner for Fords and KIAs.

OF

THE

CENTURY.

(fords true, but Kia's?)