GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are stock brakes supposed to be TERRIBLE?

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
OF

THE

CENTURY.

(fords true, but Kia's?)

LOL, he had me 'till Kia's! McQueen, you're right on, I take it all with a grain of salt.

Modshack, those are very important questions that I failed to answer in my post. I bought the GTI used 2 months ago, with 10k miles on it, certified warranty. The pads are Bosch and appeared to be new. The rotors aren't great looking.

In your opinion (Modshack), should I push the dealer to try to figure out what's wrong with them? My next step would be stoptech pads, metal bushings, and either have the rotors turned or replace them.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info on pads, apparently I'm going to need it. I did the "contact us" on autopartkings page last night and they replied today that stoptech doesn't make pads for a 2011 VW GTI. :confused: Said I should buy Akebono or Hawk. Ha!

I got mine fronts from Rock Auto. Www.rockauto.com

They are centric 309.11070 which say stoptech street perf. $56.

I forgot the part number for the 2011+ rears... I better dig that up again. Rock didn't have them when they first came out and I spent too much at Neuspeed.

Edit found the rears for 2011+ at rock to.

CENTRIC Part # 30914560**
StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads
Rear
$36.79

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
they do make rears for the 2011+.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Modshack, those are very important questions that I failed to answer in my post. I bought the GTI used 2 months ago, with 10k miles on it, certified warranty. The pads are Bosch and appeared to be new. The rotors aren't great looking.

In your opinion (Modshack), should I push the dealer to try to figure out what's wrong with them? My next step would be stoptech pads, metal bushings, and either have the rotors turned or replace them.

Sounds like the car was driven by a Grandma....Go out and "season" them again a couple of times. Hard to believe there could be any parts issues with a car that new with those miles. A lot of brake issues are the result of Pad transfer. A few good beddings will cure that. New pads, Tyrolsport stiffeners, etc will likely help nicely though..

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Stoptech absolutely DO make front and rear pads for the 2011 model year.
And many people on this forum have indeed bought them from Car Part Kings!

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info on pads, apparently I'm going to need it. I did the "contact us" on autopartkings page last night and they replied today that stoptech doesn't make pads for a 2011 VW GTI. :confused: Said I should buy Akebono or Hawk. Ha!

Stoptech absolutely DO make front and rear pads for the 2011 model year.
And many people on this forum have indeed bought them from Car Part Kings!

whoever replied to you, doesn't know their inventory quite well.

http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-rear-disc-brake-pad-309-14560.html
http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-parts-front-disc-brake-pad-309-11070.html

if you read the descriptions, they clearly say stoptech street performance. and that's what you'll receive if you order them. I've ordered them and so have a good number of other members.

and from Centric's Website:

StopTech, Centric’s ultra performance division, is a leading innovator of world class brake components and systems for production-based racing cars and high performance vehicles on the street and track.

So you won't and shouldn't have any issues with them.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

Merkle

Banned
Thanks, I'm getting close to 35k and I have already had to replace the rear pads and rotors so I'm sure the fronts are coming up soon. Looks like I'll get these rotors with the Stop Tech Stage 1 kit. That should give me the braking I'm looking for. I track the car 3-4 times a year, and take it on a twisty back road as often as I can. The stock ones just fade too soon.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!

I still stand by Rock Auto. If you just click through the site to your car: VW > GTI > 2011 > Brakes > Pads you can see them listed right there under Performance.

Specifically Centric:
Part # 309.11070 are StopTech Street Performance Front.
Part # 309.14560 are the StopTech Street Performance Rear for 2011+ only.

I checked that these were indeed the ones I have on my 2012.

On Amazon you will pay more, if you can find them.

v-dug

Go Kart Champion
Weeeelllll....I took the GTI in yesterday for the regional rep to look at the bumper (approve repainting) and he was quite a bit nicer than the service head at the dealership. He quickly agreed to have them look at the brakes.

Not that I'm holding my breath.

I'm going to go ahead and at least order the pads. But to have them vouch for the rotors will make me feel better about staying with the OEMs.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
OP: lot of wannabe racecar drivers on here who have delusions of being pro drivers or something but in reality the stock brakes are fine. they aren't as good as bmw brakes but theyre fine. you could upgrade and they'd be better, but they are fin for normal driving which, lets be honest, is most of what you probably do.

pretty much everything that exists related to this car is blown out of proportion on this forum. read this forum for a while and you will notice 10 key points:

1. the brakes are horrible.

2. stage 1 and beyond will make your engine explode and the dealer will gang rape you for it

3. the GTI is 'slow' unless it has k04.

4. the stock OEM clutch is made of swiss cheese and they ALL slip and fail at 10k miles

5. your water pump, HPFP and intake manifold are one key turn away from failure

6. driving a manual in traffic is a hardship equivalent to what the slaves who built the pyramids endured and is to be avoided at all costs. 'DSG FTW BRO LULZ'

7. its normal to want to trade your perfectly nice, practically new car that would last 150k+ miles in after 2 years for an electric car or hybrid and this will save you money

8. 90% of people in America cannot write, speak or use grammar

9. putting an intake on your GTI will make it break the sound barrier and without one, your engine will suffocate and die of asthma

10. people on this forum have a total boner for Fords and KIAs.

I agree.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ some necro action.