GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
That's my concern with them punching through the floor. I installed one for a guy a while back using the backing plates and whatnot and just seeing the amount of flex the floor pan had in the points it mounted to made me think the backing plates wouldn't do much. Hope you never have to find out though!

Lol Shawn is a good buddy of mine. We're in the same car club, he's working on the lourves but just busy at work and hasn't had time to finish.

Oh good to know. Yeah whenever he's ready he has a very eager customer lol.

In a perfect world I could have a "half cage" welded in, but it makes installing a full roll cage very difficult as you have to really cut up the car including drilling holes in the roof which just makes an already expensive job way more expensive. Especially since I am tall, the top bars are really going to have to be nuts to butt with the top of the car.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Correct. I will have to get the wheels first and measure. I am thinking a 40mm flare might fit, if not I'll have to step up to a 70mm. The seibons only do 25mm, which is perfectly fine for anything up to a 9.5"

I also know a guy who makes fender louvers which will be much more aerodynamically effective than the seibon vent, though its still perfectly functional.

I'll be going with a 285 on a 10.5" +38 in the front, and a 225/40 on a 18x8.5 in the rear.
sounds very, very loose

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Actually it should be closer to neutral. These cars are very nose heavy. The weight balance is ~63/37 = 1.7:1. The tire widths he's proposing are 285/225 = 1.27:1. The front tires are still carrying 35% more load per mm of width than the rears will be.

He can always run a lighter rear bar if it's too loose. It's much harder to add traction to the front end where it's needed.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Actually it should be closer to neutral. These cars are very nose heavy. The weight balance is ~63/37 = 1.7:1. The tire widths he's proposing are 285/225 = 1.27:1. The front tires are still carrying 35% more load per mm of width than the rears will be.

He can always run a lighter rear bar if it's too loose. It's much harder to add traction to the front end where it's needed.

gotcha. prob depends on the setup, i prefer to do it through suspension

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Been busy for the last few days.....

RallyeGolfR20

Just found this forum,
Great thread
I have a Mk6 Golf R with the adaptive HID's thought about switching to the Osram Xenarc headlights.

1. Is it worth it? Some say, they flicker
2. How much weight did you save changing the fenders and hood?

20190826_190835-1.jpg

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Just found this forum,
Great thread
I have a Mk6 Golf R with the adaptive HID's thought about switching to the Osram Xenarc headlights.

View attachment 162235

if you have HID's you'll need to rewire all the way back to the CECM. im trying to make an adapter that will require little coding and few faults so i can avoid this. I'm dumb when it comes to electronics so im going about this very slowly. the Xenarcs are only made as a Halogen upgrade, and they will not make/send you one from germany (i asked)

RallyeGolfR20

Cool, I think I want to just black out my HID's, probably a smarter idea.

Love this thread, thinking about tracking my ride also.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Successfully got the trans and motor apart. Got the flywheel off to the engine on the engine stand and found this. Doesn't look good. Waiting to hear back from a few folks on what they think before I go ahead and replace.

In the meantime, tomorrow and Friday will be spent cleaning cleaning cleaning. Lots of grime, oil, and gunk on the engine and engine bay. Will be sending off a lot of parts to get professionally painted. Ordering new seals for the oil filter housing assembly, a new water pump, and a bunch of other maintenance related items.

Stay tuned. More to follow.

Just found this forum,
Great thread

Thank you!

I had an issue with one of my osrams fogging and they overnighted me a replacement. No complaints whatsoever and had no other problems since. I believe they were only intended for halogen cars though.

Weight savings is probably in the neighborhood of 15-20 pounds. The stock hood is pretty heavy.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
which water pump are you going with? OEM or one of the alumnium ones?

Mine is a CBFA car so unfortuately I am stuck with the OEM one.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finding more skeletons in the closet. Think this explains why I thought I was making lower than usual boost for an APR tune. Email into HPA, lets see what they come back with...